My conditional baptism

Next month I’m being conditionally baptized in my parish. After I am baptized since I’m converting from Protestantism, will I be Roman Catholic?

You should ask your priest. I cannot imagine the answer being “No”, but maybe I’m not thinking through all the possibilities.

Are you also being confirmed and receiving First Communion? I have never heard of any place separating the three Sacraments of Initiation for anyone entering the Church who is past the age of reason. If you are receiving all the Sacraments of Initiation, then you will definitely be Catholic.

I just double checked Canon Law. it says:

Can. 866 Unless there is a grave reason to the contrary, an adult who is baptized is to be confirmed immediately after baptism and is to participate in the eucharistic celebration also by receiving communion

I guess that’s why I’ve never seen them separate for adults. I’m not sure what would qualify as a “grave reason.”

This is a conditional baptism. In other words, there is some doubt about whether the OP has been validly baptized or not. A conditional baptism is usually done privately. Later, the OP will make a profession of faith, be received into the Church, be confirmed, and receive first communion.

But doesnt baptism in the Church make me Catholic?

[quote="SuscipeMeDomine, post:3, topic:310836"]
This is a conditional baptism. In other words, there is some doubt about whether the OP has been validly baptized or not. A conditional baptism is usually done privately. Later, the OP will make a profession of faith, be received into the Church, be confirmed, and receive first communion.

[/quote]

Ah yes, that makes sense. I didn't factor in the "conditional Baptism" part. Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't want the OP to think their priest was doing something the wrong way.

[quote="BVMFatima, post:4, topic:310836"]

[/quote]

I would think that after the conditional Baptism, you are "on the books" in the sacramental registry of your parish.

As to whether or not you are then Catholic in the sense of being obligated by Canon Law (to do things like go to Mass, fast and abstain at the prescribed times, etc.), I'm honestly not sure. It's a good question.

I was conditionally baptised and confirmed at the same time I received the Eucharist for the first time that following Sunday The priest who instructed and baptised me said that One came in communion with the Catholic Church by receiving communion in the Catholic church thus being receive in full communion.

[quote="BVMFatima, post:4, topic:310836"]

[/quote]

The answer is YES :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.