My cousin's are grieving the death of their son

My cousins are grieving the death of their son, he was 24, died in his sleep this past spring. We are travelilng together this weekend and I would appreciate helpful words I could offer my dear cousins. I offer them and their sons’ soul in prayer every day, knowing that time will eventually help with coping, but their hearts are completely broken.

I am sorry for your loss and will add my prayers for his soul and for peace for the family.

Eternal rest grant unto him and may perpetual light shine upon him.

They will be in my prayers.

This is hard on a parent for sure, we expect our children to outlive us. Prayers will be going your way and theirs.

What you can do though is just be there to let them talk about their son or, just to cry.

If something happens while you are together and it reminds you of your nephew in a good way, don’t be afraid to say, “I remember how John(don’t know his name so…) would make us all laugh by making faces at a child who was having a hard time waiting at the Restaurant” or whatever… don’t be afraid, memories at this point are all they have and shared ones are always good (of course, they have the knowledge that they will one day see their son in Heaven but that is not always a comfort to all - it was to me and to my husband - but not all people are or they have heard it so many times it is getting old, they want their son in the here and now).

If I may ask, what caused him to pass away in his sleep? Was he ill, did he have a disorder that would cause them to know that he might die young? If so, they may be happy to have had him for the 24 years they had him too. Or, maybe they need to be reminded gently of this fact. If it was something totally unexpected don’t go there.

Again, just let them talk about their son, you talk about what you remember and above all, let them cry if they do. Make sure you have a box of tissues handy at all times.

Brenda V.

As far as we know, his heart stopped, no warning whatsoever. Do you think the St. Theresa prayer of the 24 “Glory Be’s” (each said for each year of her life on earth) would be a good thing to offer for his soul, since she too died at 24? Should I offer this idea to my cousin? I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and to any other who responds, it is good of you to offer ways for me to comfort this couple.

Please add my condolences and prayers to the others.

If you don’t mind sharing, was he their only child/son? Are your cousins dealing with this through their faith or are they struggling with their faith because of this?

In any case, the loss of a child is always hard. May God bless them, grant repose to the soul of their son, and give all those who loved him peace of heart and soul.

Yes their only child. They have faith and are trying to hold onto it. They seem to hunger for any truth of God concering this most horrible time. Any help or guidance is most welcome.

[quote=thatsamore]My cousins are grieving the death of their son, he was 24, died in his sleep this past spring. We are travelilng together this weekend and I would appreciate helpful words I could offer my dear cousins. I offer them and their sons’ soul in prayer every day, knowing that time will eventually help with coping, but their hearts are completely broken.
[/quote]

OMIGAWD

My heart just breaks for them…what can you say to someone who loses a child, and so young?
The best I can think of would be to tell them that they are loved, that you have no explanation as to why this happenned or what God could possibly have planned for them…but that there is a plan. And I think of what Father Corapi reminds us of when we are hit with such tragedies…out of all pain and evil comes great good.

My prayers are with you all.

[quote=thatsamore]" I offer them and their sons’ soul in prayer every day"
[/quote]

Tell them this. It comes from your heart.

Praying that our God of comfort will carry them through. :gopray::gopray:

Yes, that is a lovely thing to do! I would probably give them a prayer card explaining this, or if there is a chaplet or set of beads that goes with it (you could even make one if there isn’t one to find), give them that, and explain that you have offered this prayer for him, and the reason.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.