My Crazy View

Ok Guys,

So I would like to know if anyone understands, or even- though not holding my breath- agrees with my view. . .

I have more respect for Judiasm, Islam, Hinduism, and AUTHENTIC non-new age Buddhism than I do of Protestants.

Here’s why:

-Protestants have specifically and pointedly abandoned the True Church by choice.

-They persist in error.

-I do cut them some slack for leaving during the Rennessaince (sp. incorrect) due to the highly problematic Papacy during some of this time. Yes it was wrong that Luther and his followers left but they and all Protestants should have returned by now.

-The Catholic Church and arguably the Orthodox can be directly traced to Christ in the Bible. I mean they are obsessed with the Bible at the exclusion of any other possible sources of revelation.

-So, these religions I have mentioned earlier are ancient and venerable entities and most of their members are in practical terms, invincibly ignorant of the True Church.

THis post is primarily for Catholics but I know Protestans willl jump in but if we could keep this from being derailed that would be helpful if only for me.

Anybody understand my view?
Pax Vobiscum!
Feanor

=Feanor;4514729]
I have more respect for Judiasm, Islam, Hinduism, and AUTHENTIC non-new age Buddhism than I do of Protestants.

You’re welcome to your view.

-Protestants have specifically and pointedly abandoned the True Church by choice.

-They persist in error.

-I do cut them some slack for leaving during the Rennessaince (sp. incorrect) due to the highly problematic Papacy during some of this time. Yes it was wrong that Luther and his followers left but they and all Protestants should have returned by now.

I think the CCC disagrees with you on this.

Wounds to unity

818 “**However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers **. . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and **with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”**272

819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ’s Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276

-The Catholic Church and arguably the Orthodox can be directly traced to Christ in the Bible. I mean they are obsessed with the Bible at the exclusion of any other possible sources of revelation.

I guess if one is obsessed, the bible’s not a bad choice. On the other hand, you might want to explore the Lutheran Confessions and see how often they quote the ECF’s, not to mention that the first section is on the three creeds.

You may say the “Protestants have specifically and pointedly abandoned the True Church by choice”, but it is probably not true.
I would suggest to you that most protestants - and remember protestantism, if it can be called an “ism”, is not some monolithic belief system - probably have no idea what Catholicism teaches, what our differences are, or frankly even care. Most are brought up in a faith community and are not “protesting” the Catholic Church in any way. If they are Baptist, for example, they are Baptist because they are Baptist, not because they reject Catholicism.

Jon

So, you love pagans more than your brothers and sisters in Christ?

I have more respect for these religions. I have little respect for Protestantism especially evangelic protestantism.

I respect ancient religions.

I share filial love with other Protestants but not so much respect for their faiths.

For me there is love and there is respect.

So the differences between your faith and that of Protestantism are bigger than a shared confession of the divinity of Christ, his only saving Gospel, the Trinity, and all the myriad other things that you hold in common with them?

You respect the paganism of pagans more than the 75-80% of what you share in faith with other Christians?

You need to check yourself. Your perspective is screwed up. It seems to me that we just annoy you.

I do not agree with your thread at all. You are making a rather broad assumption in stating that other non catholic christian religions had the truth but rejected it.

Another poster gave a good example,

If they are Baptist, for example, they are Baptist because they are Baptist, not because they reject Catholicism.

Reminded me of an old show on TV Land that I just started watching, called Sanford and Son. It’s kind of funny, There is an Aunt Esther who sees her brother-in-law as a fish-eyed heathen. Around him she is prone to shouts of: “I was Born a Baptist, I was Raised Baptist, and I will Die a Baptist! Oh, Glory!!!” :rotfl:

Many are born and raised in a specific denomination.

I do not have a problem with loving people who are not Christians, God does. But you seem to look down on your non catholic Christian brothers and sisters with contempt.

Perhaps if you stated it differently it would come across a bit better?

I am trying to figure out where you are coming from.

Now if hypothetically speaking the RCC was the only way to get to heaven, all other are going straight to hell, and all kids from Christian families are Born RCC, know the doctrine from birth, and that it is the only way to God, THEN leave for a non catholic christian religion or start their own, THEN and only then I could see your point.

Being that they knew the truth from the beginning and rejected it, where as a pagan born into a pagan family (or insert another belief), cannot be responsible for rejecting what they never had and never knew.

But even then if that was indeed a reality, which it isn’t, I would not look down on them in contempt. That pushes people away. I would try instead to love them and help them find their way back.

As far as having respect for all ancient religions, I have to wonder if you realize how many types of ancient religions there are out there. Not all were peaceful. Some were pretty bloody actually and demanded human sacrifice. Many who died as a sacrifice were babies and little children.

You can’t paint all those ancient religions with the same brush stroke either,

You’re right to call it crazy. It is crazy, and not in line with Catholic teaching in the Catechism, as JonNC pointed out.

Auriel put it very well:

Now if hypothetically speaking the RCC was the only way to get to heaven, all other are going straight to hell, and all kids from Christian families are Born RCC, know the doctrine from birth, and that it is the only way to God, THEN leave for a non catholic christian religion or start their own, THEN and only then I could see your point.

You need to re-think this.

Praying for you,

Ruthie

Maybe I misunderstood, but most Protestants I know do not believe they are the only ones going to heaven. And the Catholics I know do not believe they are the only ones going to heaven either. The two groups at least have Jesus in common and the Trinity, well, most do.

You know nothing of Jesus Christ to be able to post what you did. It is very sad posting and ungodly to call a part of the body of Christ as inferior to Christless religions. I hope you join us on the thread called “Christ is everything”. It validates my OP that some Roman Catholics love the Roman Catholic Church more than Jesus Christ. Wake up, the Roman Catholic Church is not the Savior sent by God to rescue sinners from their condemned condition.

-They persist in error.

But so do Buddhists, Hindus, Jews, and Mahometans.

[Enter Devil’s Advocate:] The OP* could* protect his position by saying that “pagans”, because they are further removed from the Gospel than our Protestant brethren, and so, need our love more than Protestants, who are explicitly Christian already :slight_smile:

As for “pagan” religions, a very nasty one was Aztec religion: the sun-god was fed by human sacrifice, which meant that the Aztecs had to make war on their neighbours in order to take prisoners whose blood he could drink. Moctezuma, whom Cortez got the better of, may have killed as many as 40,000 victims for this thirsty god. How unlike Jesus Christ, Who pours out His own Blood willingly ! The conquistadores, whatever else they may have done, did at least get rid of a very nasty religion.

I am referring to the ancient religions I posted above i.e. judiasm, hinduism, islam, and buddhism, not extinct and marginal ones.

Also, It seems that most of the posters are Protestant.

You are only making a mockery of yourself. What is there not to love about the Church since it was Christ Himself who established it through Peter? Without the Church, you’d still be overturning rocks to look for verses.

Christianity did not start 2,000 years ago with the confession of Peter. Have you not heard the term Judeo-Christianity? You cannot seperate Judiasm from Christianity. They only difference is the elect Jews believed that Jesus was the Christ (Peter, etc).

How can you say non-Catholic Christianity is inferior Hinduism and Islam which are Christ-less false religions? What truth do these world religions have?

Let the words of Jesus sink in your mind and heart. He is the way and not a particular church is Christendom. You sure seem to replacing Jesus Christ with your particular brand of Christianity.

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 10:7
So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 10:9
I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=290189

Come join us on “Christ is everything” if you love the Lord Jesus Chrsit more than the Roman Catholic Church.

Did Jesus Christ live the perfect life and die a substutional death for only Roman Catholic Christians, or did he die for Orthodox, Anglican, Protestant, and other Christians too?

Christianity started on the Day of Pentecost which is also the birthday of the Catholic Church. All of Christ’s apostles looked upon Peter as their leader. Look to the Bible for hints.

I do not think he is trying to emphasize Hindus and Muslims have superiority over non-Catholic Christians. He is probably trying to mean Hindus and Muslims have a greater respect for their scriptures and have thorough understanding of how their religion started, unlike non-Catholic Christians who at many times are guilty of overlooking historical facts that point to the Catholic Church as the successor of Apostolic teachings.

Despite their beliefs (which may not be as saintly as yours), Hindus and Muslims can and do sometimes put Christians to shame because of their sincerity and worship of God. You must give credit where credit is due. Criticizing non-Christians to mere mockery won’t grant you respect from them.

I guess you believe in two churches. Did Jesus Christ die for the Old Testament Saints too? If so, you believe in an OT Church and NT Church consting of two bodies of Christ. I only quote the Catholic Cathechism for Catholic edifcation only. It is not authorative to non-Catholic Christians, nor should it be. It seem the author of the post and you are rogue Catholics, going beyond official Roman Catholic doctrine.

818 “However, one cannot charge with the sin of the separation those who at present are born into these communities [that resulted from such separation] and in them are brought up in the faith of Christ, and the Catholic Church accepts them with respect and affection as brothers. . . . All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church.”

Hinduism, Muslims, Judaism all reject Jesus Christ in all that He claims to be. Therefore, there is no truth in them. Catholics tend to lose sight that Christianity is centered on the person and work of Jesus Christ. He is full of truth and grace. Religions that are Christ-less are from the devil. Jesus had no problems telling unbelieving Jews that their Father is the devil.

Listen to the testimony of Jesus Christ…

For God So Loved the World

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God.”

There is no light in world religions which reject the bibilcal Jesus Christ. Those religions who do not receive Jesus as He claims to be is of the Spirit of the Anti-Christ.

John 1- The Word Became Flesh

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.

The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has ever seen God; the only God, [4] who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.