My dad is very, very sick

and he may die. We do not know when. I don’t know what to do. My dad’s suffering is very great. They put him on pain medication just to ease the pain. I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what I feel. Please God do something! I remain open to a miracle, but I admit what might come if it should. My mother is grieving on and off. I don’t know what to do. What should I say to her? I want to tell my dad that I love him. I don’t know what to say. Please God help! I feel so helpless! Please pray for my family, but most especially my dad.

Please just say it simply to your Dad, just something like, “You know, I do love you Dad.” “love you, Dad”. Even to express thanks for all he’s done for you, and means to you. Please do say it so you don’t spend the rest of your life wishing you did.

If you can’t do that, write it on a simple card, but please do, Love, as soon as possible. The rest of your life you need to remember that you did.

Jesus, for some of us it’s hard to put feelings into words, particularly to certain people in our lives no matter how important they are to us.
This dear person is having difficulty. Please help the dear soul to blurt it out thanks and love to Dad no matter how embaressing it feels for the minute.

I just read from an earlier thread that you don’t have an easy relationship with your Dad, which isn’t unusual for someone at High School. It also isn’t strange given that your Dad appears to have been ill for some time…

Maybe you could most authentially and comfortably say, “I care about you Dad.” Or even if you feel there’s anything to say sorry for…in teenage speak, that can be a big thing to say, and the main thing is to get the message across in your natural teenage way with code that your Dad will understand!

Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, who wept at the death of Your friend in sympathy with his sisters, even though You knew that You would shortly raise him from the dead, please embrace this mother and our friend as they face the suffering and possible death of this loved man. Jesus please ease his pain. I offer His sufferings to the Father united with Yours…but please help him to displace the pain as much as possible. Please give him and his family peace.

And please help this teen to be helpful and cooperative with mom, and see little things that can be done to help out or make things easier. And if possible maybe a hug for mom.

In Your hands, Jesus

Lord, I pray for Image of God’s dad and family. Please grant Image of God’s dad peace, healing, and relief from his pain, and the comfort of a loving family around him loving him and praying for him. Please grant Image of God the ability to tell his/her dad all the things that need to be spoken and fill Image of God with your peace and healing after speaking his/her heart. May Image of God and his/her family have Mary as a comfort and intercessor to help them get through this painful time. Bless this family with strength and hope in you; may they have hope that you will be faithful to all your promises to their dad.
Bless this family and comfort them and their dad. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Thank you very much. My feelings about my dad are mixed between indifference and sorrow. He seemed to me at times a very austere and strict man and I could never really talk to him the way that you would expect a son to talk to his father—on casual terms. Though my dad was always present, there was no real relationship—but, I still was glad he was there. Just him being there, even if I could say nothing, meant something. I am so confused. I don’t know what to say to my mother who seems to have been hit the hardest by all of this.

I am very sorry for you and what your family is going through. Have you called the parish office and asked for your Dad’s name to be added to list of the sick that is read on Sunday at the Prayer of the Faithful? You can also request a Mass to be said for his recovery and ask for a priest or EM to bring him Communion. If he is able, just sit with him and let him do the talking, about whatever he wants. :grouphug:

Praying for your Dad.Please tell him you care about him.Also praying for your Mom.

let us face the truth that we really need our Lord and all of this trials are not God given but He just allowed this to happen to open our eyes because a purpose for it,just show your love to your father let him fell that you care for him,whisper to his ear that you love him,be always at his bedside,hold his hands ,read the bible for him ask for a priest to give him extreme aunction for it is not for the dying but instead for healing,support your mother she must be strong our life and spirit comes from the Almighty Father and we should return it to Him…be strong God Bles

Have you tried to call your parish priest? He may help you in this situation.

I’m praying for you and your dad.

Pray for him, and ask others to pray for him as well. spend as much time as you can with him, maybe family bonding will cheer him up. Also, let your father offer his suffering to God. I believe this will help as well. I’m truly sorry for what has happened to your father, and I hope he gets well soon. :slight_smile:

My father is in the Prayer of the Faithful. The parish priest already knows that my dad is sick and so visits him often. The only problem is that I cannot visit him often because of school and the ton of homework which I recieve. But regardless, I plan to stop at little to visit him on Wednesday. Little will stop me. I will visit him! I am just confused about everything. I never thought this would come. I never did.

My prayers are for your father, your mother and for you.

Don’t overthink it. I just ask God to give you the right way to show your Dad what you need to.
You do need perhaps to ask God to put forgiveness in your heart for your father, because he wasn’t an affirming and affectionate Dad, and he often made you feel bad, feel unjustly done by.

Father in heaven, please help this person ,made in image of Jesus, to forgive the austerity of the father’s parenting.
Father please heal this person of the damage caused by overbearing parenting, so that it becomes possible to say or show whatever needs to be shown or said to this Dad, who has missed out on so much from his offspring because of his severity.

That’s good to know. Has he received the sacrament of the sick? I only ask, because I know the sacrament of the sick can help not just the person who is dying but also the rest of the family as well. It brought great comfort to me when my father passed away. It also helped my friend who had a father who treated her family poorly throughout his life due to his alcoholism. It might help you as well to spend some time in adoration to prepare for his death.

I prayed a rosary for you and your dad last night. Today, I pray that you will be able to spend some more time at the hospital with him. Just your presence there will be a comfort for him although he may not express that to you and if you can sit near to him or hold his hand (whatever is comfortable).

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it as it is in heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive
those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and
at the hour of our death.
Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end.
Amen

I’m so sorry to hear this…your dad, you, and your family are in my prayers. Trishie gave you wonderful advice…just simply tell your dad you love him. No other words could mean more to him…really. Please keep us posted, if you could? I pray for a healing miracle. :gopray:

Father in heaven, please help this person, made in image of Jesus, to forgive the austerity of the father's parenting.
Father please heal this person of the damage caused by overbearing parenting, so that it becomes possible to say or show whatever needs to be shown or said to this Dad, who has missed out on so much from his offspring because of his severity.
Father please support his mother in her sorrow, and unite the family in mutual understanding.

I hope your visit today went well.
God bless you family

Lord, in Your mercy, provide comfort and hope for all the sick and all the dying. In Your mercy, bring them forth from the darkness and give them back the light. Ease their pain and their suffering, and help all those around them show their love and support through this dark time. For those who find words failing, or those who find the heart heavy with sorrow, lift them up that they might find the courage to express those deepest feelings of love and kindness to those that need it most.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. The Lord is my shepherd, and I shall not want.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen.

Thank you so much. I really need your prayers right now. I'm going through a state of tension between indifference and sorrow.

LORD Jesus
Heal Ur Son

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.