My Dad, says weird stuff (Assemblies of God)

My dad is part of the Assemblies if God (soon to be minister) congregation, and I feel awkward with some of the things he says and how he acts. My main question is: As a Catholic, how do you suggest I respond or act when my dad says things like “____ is gonna happen, just watch. It’ll blow your mind… see, I told you… God is that good, I wish others could see these miracles” (assumming God has told him how something will turn out), and I think it’s not just what he says, but’s it’s how he says it… like a “let me show you how good God is, and how he speaks to me… show you how the Holy Spirit works in me” kind of attitude …it’s seems boastful in himself, yet he thinks he is
boasting to the miracles of God. It’s a weird situation because I can’t say if God has told him something or not, except for the fact that he isn’t always right.

Side note: I have and continue to discuss Church, theology, and apologetics with him… but most of his arguments are circular or he agrees to disagree because what’s important is him and Jesus, without really putting any effort into the points I make.

• List item

Show him that stuff in the Bible where it says a true prophet of God is always right, and if he is wrong, he is to be disposed of as per the Law. (Note that in AN cilture, prescriptions of death except in murder were able to be bargained out of, usually for a fine).

That is if he is acting like he knows this stuff for sure. Is it more like, “I bet you this will happen” or is it more like “I have been told that this will happen”?

I have heard a recent phrase: you can’t reason yourself out of a position you didn’t reason yourself into. I doubt he has rationally arrived at his position if he just always ignores your pleas.

Perhaps stress how important of an issue this is?

It’s more of a “I bet you this will happen” but with undertones of extreme confidence that God speaks to him (supposedly God has spoken to him audibly, clear as can be). A “I told you so” mentality with his head raised high and a big ol smile… but when he’s wrong, he tries to redirect to how the situation is a blessing and God is good.

It’s gotten to the point where I feel something must be said… I am just trying to get a better understanding Gods truth, and how I can share it with him in a simple and concise way.

Hmm…maybe speak with him about pride? Of course, we still must honor our parents regardless of how old we or they are.

Thank you, and Amen.

How is it that you and your dear father are different religions? Did you change from his faith and this makes him sad?

We were raised Lutheran. He converted to Assemblies of God about 8 years ago, and I converted to Catholicism almost 2 1/2 yrs ago after journeying through the confusing, multidirectional land of protestantism.

In that case, I would operate under the assumption that he loves you very much and is anxious for you.
And you witness by your Catholic life that you arent turning into some sort of a kook.
And give it time, patience and prayer

Thank you for your advice… Amen

Honestly, you need to chill out a bit and stop engaging your dad.

It sounds like your entire family has been through a spiritual upheaval. Your dad is experiancing his own faith journey.

I would say, “Yeah, Dad, God does work Miracles. He’s always with us and desires to give use EVERYTHING that is good. But God dosn’t want us to rely on miracles to be the foundation of our Faith. There’s so much more (insert another topic about God/faith you can both talk about).”

Thank you for your advice, and Amen

I spent most of my teen years in the Assemblies. My dad is a licensed AG minister.

I’d highly suggest you listen to Tim Staples, former AG:

And to Mike Cumbie

http://www.mikecumbie.org/ Start with his talk on the Mass for Protestants and also his “How Then Shall We Worship” talks. See if your dad will watch/listen with you.

St Teresa of Avila said that in these cases it is best not to argue with the person. Some people think what they see and see what they think. The best thing for you is to live the holiness that God is calling you to live and pray for your father.

Pray. Pray. Pray.

Words, arguments, parables - even those of our Lord(!) did not convince those who were not open to them. Rather, appeal to the Holy Spirit to lead him to question his beliefs. Will it take time? Certainly. Will you see immediate change? Probably not - this is all in God’s time, not ours.

I would strongly urge you simply to pray and live the best Catholic faith life that you can, so that he will see the joy in you.

The Assembles of God really aren’t engaged in deep theological pronouncements, it isn’t that they are"weird" , but that they have different priorities.

The AG’s are the white American response to the Church of God in Christ, and have a lot heavier emphasis on sacred music instead of arguments about doctrine. Many of your white Americans from the mid South involved in popular music have backgrounds in the AG’s- at least those with talent like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Britney, etc.

I’d think you’d be better off trying to find a common ground with your father, praying for him, instead of trying to argue with him directly. He is apparently well versed in AG doctrines and procedures if he is on a track to become a minister.

Great point. Sometimes, and this happened with me, a faith discovery turns out to be a stepping stone to something greater.

Are some of the weird things he says "haaaa shaa boo tooo kaaa sa ba goocchy yaaa heee fee haa kaaa!!!

You are aware that Holy Mother Church is the largest charismatic group, with the CCR? And that she acknowledges charismatic gifts, including glossolalia? Please don’t lower yourself to make fun of this, even if you do not believe in it.

Your dad may not receive something that seems like correction or censure from you; you would know best whether this is so.

As the wife of an A/G (former) minister who now attends a ND church, I will wholeheartedly second the previous post about reason not being a huge motivation in these circles. It’s a lot about feelings, and whatever pastor so-and-so has to say the Bible says.

My advice is to pray, not forgetting to offer up sufferings on his behalf. Fast. Really.

Then, embrace the commonalities. The A/G have an Arminian theology, not OSAS. They believe that communion means something beyond a symbol, but vary in how they (Or if they) articulate this. Build on what is shared, then you can have honest and probably more fruitful discussions about what is not.

That would be a thing called “speaking in tongues”. It began in Protestant groups back around the turn of the 20th century and spread to Catholicism later in that same century. If you search for “speaking in tongues” you will find many discussions on this forum.

I’m still waiting for someone to provide evidence of any official Catholic teaching or documentation of this phenomena after the New Testament and before even 1850.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.