My Daily prayer rule

As everyone in this Eastern Catholic subforum knows that I’m new to byzantine Catholic way of praying. I have already created and icon corner. How should I start praying in a byzantine way of praying.

Start simple. Pray the Jesus Prayer for 15 minutes a day.

5 Likes

So how can I start praying the Jesus prayer?
Loud or soft? At morning or evening? At which pace? Fast or slow? Should I pray it while standing or sitting? What is the eastern catholic way of praying (For an example should I empty my mind before praying) what are the preparations I should do before prayer? What should I do while praying?

You can begin by praying slowly in a low voice or a whisper (although you don’t have to speak at all). If you’re praying in front of your icon corner, it’s best to stand, but you’re welcome to pray while sitting. Time of day doesn’t matter. Choose the time that you’re best able to focus. Personally I have to pray early in the morning because if I wait until the evening my mind is going crazy with all the distractions from the day. My wife, on the other hand, does better praying in the evening.

Try to clear your mind as much as possible (or, as they say in the Byzantine Divine Liturgy “lay aside all earthly cares”) before diving into the Jesus Prayer, but don’t get discouraged if/when distractions or “thoughts” arise. This is inevitable. You have one of two options at this point. You can either ignore whatever “thoughts” or distractions come along and gently turn your mind back to your prayer, or you can speak to the Lord about the distractions and “thoughts” you’re experiencing. But always come back to the Jesus Prayer.

The only thing you should be “doing” while you pray is speaking to the Lord. Prostrations and breathing techniques that many Easterners talk about are all well and good, but they are only tools for helping you to focus your attention. Don’t focus on the externals of prayer. Focus instead on what is essential - conversing with the Lord: speaking to Him and cultivating your heart to hear His voice when He speaks to you.

3 Likes

You can simply pray the Jesus Prayer progressing from outwardly to more focused and finally in the heart.

And there is also the long form below.

Jesus Prayer (long form)

• O God, be merciful to me a sinner. (three times)
  • Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, everywhere present and filling all things, Treasury of Blessings and Giver of life, come and dwelling within us, cleanse us of all stain and save our souls, O gracious One.
  • Holy God, Holy and Mighty One, Holy and Immortal, have mercy on us. (three times)
  • Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen.
  • Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us; Lord cleanse us of our sins; Master, forgive us our transgressions; Holy One, come to us and heal our infirmities for your names’s sake.
  • Lord, have mercy (three times).
  • Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen.
  • Our Father, etc.
  • For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, Father, Son, and Holy Spirt, now and ever and forever. Amen
  • Come, let us worship our King and God.
  • Come, let us worship Christ, our King and God.
  • Come, let us worship and bow before the only Lord Jesus Christ the King and our God.
  • Pray Psalm 50 (Have mercy on me God in your goodness …)
  • Pray the Nicene-Constantinopolitan Creed (I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, …)
  • Pray the Jesus Prayer (100 times) – “Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me” or “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me” or “Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me”"
  • It is truly proper to glorify you, O Theotokos, the ever-blessed, immaculate, and the mother of our God. More honorable than the cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious that the seraphim; who, a virgin, gave birth to God the Word, you truly the Theotokos, we magnify.
  • Lord have mercy. (three times)
  • Through the prayers of our holy fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen.

The Jesus Prayer – Part 1

The Jesus Prayer – Part 2

The Jesus Prayer – Part 3
2 Likes

AKA- the prayer rule of St. Pachomius. This is exactly the prayer rule I follow. It’s easy to memorize and I have a higher chance of following through, unlike with using prayer books, which can feel unwieldy, long, and overwhelming. Prayer Rule of St. Pachomius

1 Like

“Loud or soft” Find the volume you’re comfortable with. Mine are a step above whispers.

“Morning or evening” - usually we pray at both times, I believe.

“Which pace” - whatever is natural and not hurried.

“Standing or sitting” - usually we pray standing, as it represents the Resurrection. Kneeling is good too if you like that.

Every Eastern Christian has a personal prayer rule, which is give to them by their spiritual father / parish priest / confessor. I have one, and so do many people in this thread. Perhaps you can ask your priest and he can give you some guidance on that.

(Bragging rights: I got my prayer rule from a schemamonk :sunglasses: )

1 Like

Do Orthodox people kneel? Is it only Sunday’s it is forbidden?

I’ve never heard of the Sunday thing, except for during Paschatide. Anyone else know if that’s done in another tradition?

It was part of Nicaea :stuck_out_tongue:
Keeping in mind kneeling meant something different at different times.

You are right! It is Paschatide.

1. Since there are some who kneel on Sunday and during the season of Pentecost, this holy synod decrees that, so that the same observances may be maintained in every diocese, one should offer one’s prayers to the Lord standing.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.