My daughter took communion before her "first communion"

I didn’t have my daughters baptized until they were 6 and 7 in January of 2017, both at the same time. They’ve been enrolled in religious education since October of 2018, and today the grade fours were presented with their copies of the new testament. When it came time for communion, my 9-year old went up, took communion, made the sign of the cross. She has not officially made her “first communion” yet though. So would this be her first communion? I have witnesses who can attest to it, so should I request a church record of it? The head of religious education said something along the lines of “That’s okay, she’s still right with God, and she can make her first communion in May.” Just wondering what I should do. Please advise.

talk to your Priest.

4 Likes

This and only this.

10 Likes

Yes her technical first communion was the first time it happened. This is quite common. Happened to me for years in Catholic high school.

2 Likes

If this was the first time she received, she made her first communion. The question is what to do going forward. Talk with your priest to determine if she should continue to receive and whether she should begin going to confession.

Will her class in general be preparing for communion this year?

2 Likes

One thing you should not do is worry that your daughter “committed a mortal sin”:, as all the elements are not there.
Talk to your priest and let it be.

5 Likes

She told me she only took communion because the other grade four kids were doing it, and she was simply following them. I instructed her about the real presence so she knows the basics, I think, about what receiving the body of Christ means. There’s other grades who attend the same religious education class in our parish basement, but it’s mainly the grade twos who are preparing for their first communion. The religious ed coordinator said she can sit with the grade fours and learn what they are learning so as not to feel out of place. But yes, the plan has been that she will make a ceremonial - girls wearing dresses, boys wearing suits - first communion in May. I’ll ask my priest about this though, tell him what happened.

1 Like

Yes.

You should talk to your pastor about it. First Communion is not a sacrament that canon law require be recorded, although some parishes do.

Wow. Ignorant directors of religious education are a particular pet peeve of mine. Your daughter has now received first communion. Because it’s literally the first time you receive communion.

So talk to your pastor about her countinuing to receive the Eucharist and also about beginning confession, since confession should precede Eucharist.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thorough response! And you’re right, she’s past the age of reason, so confession - especially if she’s committed any grave sins - should precede. In fact, I went to confession before receiving communion today.

1 Like

I concur with 1ke and some of the others above. I’m just surprised that your 9yo (then 7) wasn’t fully initiated all at the same time: baptized, confirmed, communed.

3 Likes

A lot of parishes have no real idea how RCIA works for children.

1 Like

Aw… No worries. She meant well, she was over the age of reason, nobody stopped her, and it was her right to receive.

So maybe God knows something we don’t, and used this happy accident for His own purposes!

Time for a party!

(And yes, that should be the date in her records.)

Nope. Just nope.

1 Like

@GerardAubyn

No ,It cannot be considered as her first Communion because the first time a child receives Holy Communion ,He or She should first make her Confession ,according to the teaching of the Church.

[1457] According to the Church’s command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year."56 Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57 Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.58

[1458] Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church.59 Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit. By receiving more frequently through this sacrament the gift of the Father’s mercy, we are spurred to be merciful as he is merciful:60

[1387] To prepare for worthy reception of this sacrament, the faithful should observe the fast required in their Church.220 Bodily demeanor (gestures, clothing) ought to convey the respect, solemnity, and joy of this moment when Christ becomes our guest.

Kindly advice her not to do so in the futures ,and explain to her the importance of the sacraments confession before receiving the Eucharist,she should also mention this in her first confession ,speak to you priest about it.

Absolutely No ,its not valid .You have misread her, the head of the religious education meant being a child mistakes do happen and God loves her and forgives her

Speaker to your priest and warn other to or if you come across other children ,speak to their parents and inform the Parish Priest or who’s in Charge.

[2226] Education in the faith by the parents should begin in the child’s earliest years. This already happens when family members help one another to grow in faith by the witness of a Christian life in keeping with the Gospel. Family catechesis precedes, accompanies, and enriches other forms of instruction in the faith. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God.35 The parish is the Eucharistic community and the heart of the liturgical life of Christian families; it is a privileged place for the catechesis of children and parents.

1 Like

Its not right ,It’s a mistake

Well we cant’s expect everyone to know her age and know already that she received first Holy Communion.Not at all, she has no right to receive until she has made her first confession

[1457] According to the Church’s command, "after having attained the age of discretion, each of the faithful is bound by an obligation faithfully to confess serious sins at least once a year."56 Anyone who is aware of having committed a mortal sin must not receive Holy Communion, even if he experiences deep contrition, without having first received sacramental absolution, unless he has a grave reason for receiving Communion and there is no possibility of going to confession.57 Children must go to the sacrament of Penance before receiving Holy Communion for the first time.58

Jesus loves and forgives her

Absolutely no

Doubtful. She is in 4th grade.

1 Like

While it’s true that she should have gone to confession before receiving for the first time, she still received Jesus in the Eucharist. So yes, it was her first Communion.

Of course it’s valid. The only way it could be invalid is if the priest had somehow messed up the consecration.

3 Likes

In an unworthy manner and with out the 5 conditions of the sacraments of confession ,eventually not valid by the Church

5 Conditions for Confession 1 Examination of conscience,2 Remorse for sin ,3 Resolve not to sin again ,4 Tell the Sins to the Priest, 5 Complete your Penance

nice to imagine,but not valid in the sight of the Church

1 Corinthians 11:27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be answerable for the body and blood of the Lord.

I’ll grant that it was illicit and against canon law. If it was invalid there is a slew of people who never received their official First Communion because for at least a decade Comunion was received before Reconciliaton in many dioceses. First Communion was celebrated in second grade and Rconciliation was celebrated the next year.

1 Like

am Sorry and sad to hear that ,Here the parents should take the interest and the responsibility to make sure all these are met and speak to the parish priest about such things.i understand mistakes have happen in some dioceses ,we need to pray and make sure to educate the children and parents in the catholic faith and discuss these setbacks with parish priest.

**[2225] Through the grace of the sacrament of marriage, parents receive the responsibility and privilege of evangelizing their children . Parents should initiate their children at an early age into the mysteries of the faith of which they are the “first heralds” for their children. They should associate them from their tenderest years with the life of the Church.34 A wholesome family life can foster interior dispositions that are a genuine preparation for a living faith and remain a support for it throughout one’s life.

[2226] Education in the faith by the parents should begin in the child’s earliest years. This already happens when family members help one another to grow in faith by the witness of a Christian life in keeping with the Gospel. Family catechesis precedes, accompanies, and enriches other forms of instruction in the faith. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God.35 The parish is the Eucharistic community and the heart of the liturgical life of Christian families; it is a privileged place for the catechesis of children and parents.

**[2227] Children in turn contribute to the growth in holiness of their parents.36 Each and everyone should be generous and tireless in forgiving one another for offenses, quarrels, injustices, and neglect. Mutual affection suggests this. The charity of Christ demands it.37

1464 Priests must encourage the faithful to come to the sacrament of Penance and must make themselves available to celebrate this sacrament each time Christians reasonably ask for it.70

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.