My daughter

Hello. My daughter is 16 years old and loves Catholic theology and appolgetics. She is an exceptional reader and exceptional in scholastics. She would love to do something with her gifts and interests but isn’t sure how it would translate into a vocation. She doesn’t seem interested in a religious vocation, at least right now. Any thoughts on what direction she should go in terms of study and career from an orthodox Catholic perspective? Any thoughts people have would be appreciated.

Canon Law

She can do a google search of Canon Law schools to find one that suits her.

Catholic Family Charities

She can go into social work, and work as a diocesan social worker or therapist.

Catholic School Teacher

This isn’t always the highest paying job. Many Catholic schools are struggling to pay teachers competitive wages.

She can also work in any number of diocesan business positions. She should start by asking if any of the offices need temp help with filing or other light office work. And make sure she stays in touch with the diocese as she works through college. This should give her good footing in getting a position within the diocese after school.

Best wishes to her, and may God Bless her with clarity on this matter.

[quote=gerryran]Hello. My daughter is 16 years old and loves Catholic theology and appolgetics. She is an exceptional reader and exceptional in scholastics. She would love to do something with her gifts and interests but isn’t sure how it would translate into a vocation. She doesn’t seem interested in a religious vocation, at least right now. Any thoughts on what direction she should go in terms of study and career from an orthodox Catholic perspective? Any thoughts people have would be appreciated.
[/quote]

I believe that many diocese will be in need of diocesan staff for Catechetics and Evangelization in the next five or ten years. She could get a degree in education and theology or sociology / psychology and theology or even media/marketing and religion. This is an area the I think the Church does a very poor job today. Expressing itself in the media.

Even just being a faithful Catholic in any profession is a great witness. It sometimes takes time for people to find out what their vocation is. Sometimes it is just being a father and husband like I am.

I would look at good Catholic Universities or if she is very well grounded in her faith a good Protestant University, like Michael Barber did.

God Bless
Scylla

Have her write books. That’s what I want to do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.