Your donation helps provide answers and spread the gospel. GIVE NOW! Matching gift doubles your donation.

My dog serves God! Does yours?

My dog has taught me patience, kindness, compassion, loyalty, and the Art of being calm.
This all serves God in that these are the virtues he wishes me to possess. I’m not sure what God’s plan is for my dog when I go home, but I know that he is blessing us right now. I believe there is a good chance my dog will go to heaven with my household. Whatever God decides I know it will be for the best and I am forever grateful for the animals he has brought to me.
They have brought me great comfort and taught me to be a better person. This began as a little girl and continues to this day. Praise be to God for our Animal Companions and for the beauty of the Wild!
I trust that God loves them even more than I do as God is far more capable of loving than I am.

I have two cats…

It’s more of a take and take relationship they get fed and pet but beyond that there isn’t much they give me.

Maybe the occasional cat vomit on the floor…

Check out St Francis of Assisi and St Patrick they both reconized God through his creation.

My dog is obsessed with the Echo Dot.

My dog serves God in all the ways he’s made to do! He’s here to soak up every last bit of warmth from the heating stove in the winter, be gorgeous, chase the ball until he can hardly breathe, send my husband to the hospital with an accidental head-butt in his face while we have a houseful of guests, offer politely and hopefully to trade his wonderful chewable cardboard box for the Twizzler in my hand, completely block the one archway in the house we’re always trying to walk though… and also to make me laugh. I’m sensitive to the ridiculous. A 100# dog in a tiny house makes for a lot of ridiculous!

I mean, his head is the same height as the countertop. When we see a big black nose tipped up over the rim of the counter, all we can do is laugh… it’s just the way he was made. He’s big! And he never, ever steals. My MIL once made us shut him up on the porch while we were going to be away from a 400 sq ft camp house, because she was convinced he would get at the food all over the low countertops. When we came back, we learned that the porch door latch was broken – because the dog was in the middle of the living room, quietly chewing on his bone. The full stick of delicious unwrapped butter seven feet away on the very end of the counter (at about his shoulder height) hadn’t been touched. VINDICATION!! lol

Doggy isn’t Catholic, which is lucky for him – he still gets to eat pepperoni on Fridays during Lent, while my husband and I have to “sacrifice” the main ingredient on our Friday night pizza until Easter. :smiley:

As a coonhound, he was incredibly challenging to raise to city life, and I learned a great deal in doing it. I’m very grateful for him and his long silky ears, and I’ll cherish him for as long as I get to keep him.

Puppies are constant reminders of God’s unconditional love. And other animals too!

My dog is 40 pounds of stupid. She’s lucky she wakes up in the morning and gets downstairs without plowing down the kids, eats without choking, barks at an actual stranger rather than just me coming in, doesn’t headbutt a wall or trip over her own feet and do a barrel roll going out to go potty. Everyday life is a challenge for her.

She’s not loving, she’s not loyal, she’s not clever…she just exists. Often she’ll lay down and sigh loudly as if all the worlds demands (ie eat food and poop outside) are just too much.

She does tolerate kid antics pretty well though, which is nice.

When my dog passed away last year, I “joked” (scare quotes because I was actually rather brokenhearted), that God made heaven for dogs like him, and that we would go there only because they will let us in.

Dogs do exhibit what appears to be unconditional love, something that’s always both endeared them to me and baffles me at the same time. However, I make no pretenses: dogs do love us in their own way, but they have no intellect or will, and as such, it isn’t true love as what we’re called to do, and so they can’t really “teach” us anything. Their “love”, as affectionate as it looks, is part of their animal instinct.

Dogs and all animals DO serve and praise God, simply by their very existence. Their existence in this world gives glory to God.

I love the saying, “I want to be the person my dog thinks I am!”

If I was the person my dog thought I was I’d be primarily made of kibble…

(Joke)

This guy goes to a priest -
He would like a church funeral for his dog -
Priest says no - out of the question -
The guy insists -
Priest says try another denomination down the street…perhaps…
“ too bad. I was going to donate 100,000 dollars to the church.”
Priest smiles - opens his arms wide and says, “ why didn’t you tell me it was a Catholic dog. Of course ! “

Sounds like a half dozen people I know!:wink::grin:

Also sounds like a couple college fraternities I’ve been exposed to.

I’d be made of chicken and blankets!

Not sure whether to be serious or not, in this thread…

One kelpie just ate horse manure, one maligator just imitated a cow and snatched grass. One kelpie very kindly resisted chasing a car.

The sow is still in hiding in her gorse fortress. Perhaps this is how they naturally wean their youngings.

The cat is dutifully on guard against mouse spider and snake attack.

We pass the old dog graveyard under the 150 old fruit trees. There’s a few ponies pigs and cows there too, no doubt.

I don’t count on my dog to love me. My dog gives me the opportunity to love. I don’t need my dog to love me in a human manner and I know that the relationship is limited.
I also believe that in comparison to God’s intellect, mine is like that of an insect. Yet he loves and cherishes me. There is value in loving those with less intellect or God would have blighted us out a long time ago.
I don’t expect my dog to be more than a dog which is probably why he has taught me so much. One of the things he has taught me is nuance. He has taught me to pay attention to the small Clues to see what might lie beneath the surface. Not to look for personification, but to actually be apart of the life of a dog.

Mine’s a devil dog! Hoorah! Semper Fi!

“All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the LORD” -The Canticle of the Three Young Men

Animals bless and serve God simply by virtue of their existence and their obedience to His Will.

Animals bless God and give him glory by their mere existence (CCC 2416) inasmuch as their natures are reflections of God’s creation and providence. The animals themselves have no concept of God or worship. Their affection for us is evident but not to be confused with love between persons.

When a beloved pet dies, its owner mourns the loss. But the grief is internal, i.e. the owner misses the companionship of the animal, the memories he had with it, the things he did with it. In other words, the owner grieves because he has lost an animal companion and now misses the feelings the animal provided for him.

On the other hand, when a person dies, we not only miss their companionship, we mourn their loss of life for their own sake. When a young person dies, we think of all that they could have achieved in life; when an old person dies, we reflect upon all they accomplished in life. So our sadness affects our own subjective feelings, but we also mourn for the sake of the deceased themselves. On the contrary, we do not ponder what a pet may have accomplished in life, what its hopes and dreams were, or what it achieved. This is not to belittle the loss of a pet, but to acknowledge the difference between love for people and for animals. There is a proper hierarchy, and animals fall well below people.

Our culture has become very decadent in regards to the treatment of pets and often seems to put them in the same category as children; indeed, you will see some childless pet owners lamenting the fact that they are not recognized as parents on Mother’s or Father’s day. As if the responsibility and proper order of love between pets and children is even remotely close.

Wonderful post. And yes I think there is quite a good chance your dog will go with you to the afterlife, at the risk of sending the thread into a maelstrom. I agree on virtue in animals - my cats are just naturally so forgiving. I take it for granted. They get locked out in the rain for hours, the bowl is empty half a day. Can you imagine if these things happened to most of us? The guilty party would never hear the end of it. They don’t even get ruffled. We do take this for granted - it is really good to remember.

I thank God for my fur baby every day. He is my “son”, he is my goofball, he is my “baby”, he’s my protector. I am so blessed that I have had a lifelong love of dogs.

(I was a military working dog handler. I know my Mali is a dog. I don’t treat him like a person. He is my dog. I’m not nuts. Just a massive dog lover.)

@Trickypixie, have you read the book The Divinity of Dogs? Oh, you’d love it…just have the Kleenex ready!

We don’t deserve dogs. Everything I need to learn, from another living creature here on earth, about how to love, forgive, and persevere (he’s a shelter boy!), about how to believe that tomorrow will be a better day, I have assuredly learned from my dog.

I agree. My dog does God’s will.

My husband says if you want to know who loves you more, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk, then let them out in a few hours and see who’s happiest to see you. :laughing::laughing:

St Francis, bless our companions here on earth, that they may show us a way to Heaven by teaching us how to love, forgive, remain loyal, and defend our family (if needed!) and how to always chase the ball, relish the treats, and pause for a nap in the sun. Amen.

I don’t have a dog at the moment. But I do have some fantastic ferrets. They’re not the smartest critters but it’s impossible to be sad when watching two ferrets hop about trying to look scary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.