My Eastern Catholic prayer life

I want to begin my Eastern Catholic prayer life while being Latin catholic. So how should I start?
I want to make an icon corner at my home. But there are no wooden icons here. I can only get the icons printed. So how can I construct a simple icon corner for myself?

3 Likes

You can print icons if you have a printer - there’s nothing wrong with that.

It’s good to talk over your Prayer life with a spiritual elder, but most prayer rules include these prayers known as the Trisagion:

Glory to Thee, O God, glory to Thee.

O heavenly King, the Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who are everywhere present and fillest all things, Treasury of blessings and Giver of life: Come and abide in us and cleanse us from every impurity and save our souls, O Good One.

+Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us. (x3)

+Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

O Most Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, cleanse us from our sins. Master, pardon our transgressions. Holy One, visit and heal our infirmities for Thy name’s sake.

Lord, have mercy (x3)

+Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, both now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.

+Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us!

(The + shows where to make the sign of the cross)

6 Likes

In addition to what @ReaderT has said, you can use your rosary beads to pray the Jesus Prayer, using the Trisagion Prayers to begin your “prayer rule,” and then repeat the Jesus Prayer slowly and attentively 50 or 100 times.

I would also recommend getting a copy of the book The Art of Prayer: An Orthodox Anthology if you can, especially if there are no experienced spiritual elders/fathers/directors in your area that you can turn to for guidance. It’s a wonderful collection that can give you some solid guidance when an elder is difficult/impossible to come by.

1 Like

A layman begins with “Through the prayers…” "Glory to Thee… " is said by a priest.

And in the Lord’s Prayer, the Catholic version ends “…deliver us from evil.”

Otherwise, nice.

1 Like

If you use icons then read this: https://www.eparchyofpassaic.com/iconography

hey Margaret! I was wondering if you could tell me how latinized the UGCC is? at least in the US.

Because many in the SyroMalabar world look upon the UGCC as a model - as to how much you guys stick to your eastern traditions. I guess in a way it’s easy for the UGCC in Ukraine as the UGCC is basically in a majority Orthodox environment.

1 Like

Ah, very interesting! - in our tradition:

Laymen start:

“Through the prayers of our holy Fathers, O Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy on us. Amen, glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee.”

Priest start:

“Blessed is our God, always now and ever and unto ages of ages” (then Priest OR layman continues “Amen, Glory to Thee, our God, glory to Thee”)

1 Like

It depends on the parish. You’d have to check their website/FB page to see what they do.

Example: When I was growing up, during the Great Fast we had Byzantine Stations of the Cross compiled by Fr. Demetrius Wysochansky, who was the brother of our (then) pastor.

In 1989/90, it was decreed that we should no longer do the Stations of the Cross but return to our own Tradition and instead have Presanctified Liturgy.

Lots of people didn’t like it. I admit I didn’t like the standing & kneeling at Psalm 140 but otherwise loved it because we could receive Holy Communion. Now 30+ years later, we have Presanctified on Pure Monday, every Friday and during Great Week.

However, our sister parish still has the Byzantine Stations of the Cross as well as Presanctified Liturgy. And if you go upstate, many parishes still have Stations of the Cross. Closer to Philadelphia, probably not.

2 Likes

I agree! I wish our church was faster when it comes to delatinizing

1 Like

Wow in the Syro Malabar church we are still struggling with ad populum and stuff like that

1 Like

Download the app “Emmanuel Chaldean Prayer”. For liturgy of hours of East Syriac tradition - Chaldean Catholic & SyroMalabar Church.

They have Evening prayer (Ramsha). The liturgical prayer starts with Ramsha in evening.
Night prayer (Lelya)
Morning prayer (Sapra).

And also other prayers from the East Syriac tradition.

I have the ECPubs app.

1 Like

the Nighttime prayer has a beautiful prayer … Hymn of St. Ephrem.

• O Lord, have mercy on us; Lord, accept our services.
    Lord, turn not your face away; from sinners who call to you.

• Send to me a guardian, to protect me as I sleep,
    and, by your own living Flesh, save me from all evil things.

• Guide my sleep throughout this night, that it be filled with your peace;
    lest the evil one harm me, or thoughts filled with wickedness.

• Through the holy cross, O Lord, on which you humbled yourself,
    grant me restful sleep tonight, and deliver me from harm.

• May your Body I received, guard me from evil desires;
    may the Blood you shed for me, grant me rest within your peace,

• May the fortress of your mercy guard my soul, which is your image,
    may your right hand guard my flesh, which your hand has fashioned.

• May the stronghold of your mercy shelter me, a mighty shield,
    and when I am fast asleep, may your power be my guard.

• Let my slumber come ascend, incense to your holy throne.
    By your Mother’s intercession, keep the devil from my bed.

• By your sacrifice for all, chase the evil one away;
    your promise fulfill in me; by your cross protect my life.

• That I rise and serve you well, thanking you for all your love;
    Glory to You, and your Father, and your hallowing Spirit.

2 Likes

That’s beautiful. I :heart: St. Ephrem.

Catholic Church is in her final passion. The Satan is trying it’s best to destroy the church through modernism. After the great restoration the catholic church will triumph and regain all her traditions and beauty back. Mortify yourself and pray for Pope Francis,to help him combat the evils of the world which has infiltrated the catholic church.

3 Likes

There’s the Morning Hymn of Praise in our morning (Sapra) prayers.

MORNING HYMN OF PRAISE

Glory to you, our God!
Thanksgiving to you,
our Maker!
We bless you,
our Fashioner!
O Tender Lord!
O Merciful God!
O Compassionate Creator!
O Savior, our Guardian!
Our Helper and Upholder!
We adore you, O Lord,
for patient is your Spirit
and great is your grace!
O Merciful One, forgive us
and have pity on us!
Turn to us in the greatness
of your mercies!
Our Support
and mighty Stronghold!
O Lord our God,
show us your face,
and we shall be saved!
O Accepter of the repentant
in his mercies:
accept our prayer
and our service!
O Hearer of the voice
of his adorers:
let our imploring
come before you,
and have mercy on us!
O Forgiver of the debts
of mortals in his pity,
forgive us our debts
and sins in your pity!
O Absolver of the sins
of mankind in his grace:
absolve our many sins,
and have mercy on us!
O Good Hope of mankind,
grant us peace and serenity,
that we may confess your Trinity,
O Lord of all, forever, Amen.

1 Like

Oh that’s marvelous. :heart::orthodox_cross:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.