My evangelical dental surgeon has Bibles in his waiting room

Hi,

The dental surgeon I go to provides Bibles to read in his waiting room. Although I love to read the Bible, I find it strange and a bit inappropriate for him to put Bibles out for his patients to read. I don’t really think of it as a place to evangelize. It’s an NHS dentist. If it were a private practice I’d think it was the dentist’s personal choice. I just wondered what anyone else thinks.

Is he making anybody read them?

7 Likes

Hotel rooms routinely have Bibles. I’d like it myself. And did you know you can ask for one on an airplane and they often have them?

8 Likes

I wouldn’t call making bibles available to read “evangelization”. They are simply there, and one can either choose to read or choose not to. No one is exhorting anyone to read is my understanding from your post.

10 Likes

That’s unusual, I’ve not heard of having Bibles in a dentist’s waiting room. I don’t know about inappropriate, but it’s certainly uncommon.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything at all problematic with it. Unless he’s forcing people to read them, of course.

5 Likes

Given that this is a British National Health Service office, there might be church-vs-state issue; I don’t know what the UK rulz are. In the U.S. this would be quite common.

D

3 Likes

I just hope he doesn’t talk about it while working on your teeth.

2 Likes

Two thoughts:

Perhaps you could add a Catholic Answers tract in each one?

What of they weren’t Bibles, what if they were Qur’ans in this doctor’s office and in all the hotel/motel rooms?

2 Likes

Do you see this kind of competition for the reading matter in his waiting room?

5 Likes

If it is a government provided practice and only offers one flavor of religious book (this case, Christian) then a Government/Religion separation claim could be made, since it could be argued that this Government agency is promoting Christianity.

1 Like

“Gideon” Bibles are often seen in medical waiting rooms here in the US.

3 Likes

If you don’t want to read his Bibles, then don’t. I personally think it’s a fine thing to do. Too bad us Catholics aren’t more forward about our Bible and our faith.

Does the NHS have a rule that says NHS docs can’t have religious books sitting in their waiting room?

7 Likes

I bet in Utah the docs put the Book of Mormon out too, assuming they are LDS of course and not some other faith.

1 Like

Again, it’s his office and his choice what he wants to put out for optional reading matter.
If he had a Qu’ran out, I’d probably idly flip through it to be honest.
If he had a copy of The Satanic Bible out, or a bunch of books on atheism, I’d probably go to another doctor.

7 Likes

We once switched dentists because he had some anti-Catholic Jack Chick comics out.

9 Likes

I’ve been in dental offices where the magazines were actually older than the Bible, so …

18 Likes

He’s not forcing anyone to read them. He’s not blasting homophobic insults. I don’t see the problem.

3 Likes

When discussing Church/State separation, “forcing” is not necessary. When a government entity is involved, making one religious book available, while NOT making others available is an easy case of promoting that particular religion.

If it is a private practice, then they can do as they choose.

I’m speaking for the US, i’m not sure about UK.

1 Like

I can see what you’re saying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.