My EX-girlfriend reverted back to Protestantism

I recently discovered through a friend that my ex-girlfriend who had converted to Catholcism from Pentacostalism/Calvary Chapel has recently converted back to Pentacostalism/Calvary Chapel.

This really bothers me because I care for the salvation of souls, but I’m in kind of a rock and a hard place. I’m concerned that if I have any kind of contact with this person, I will risk straining my relationship with my fiancee. We are getting married this September.

I feel upset about this because we are to work to bring souls to Christ and His Church, yet I feel that maybe my current relationship will prevent me from evangelizing this person. I don’t think she ever discovered the truths of Catholicism when she converted, but really did it for me. I think she is capable of coming home to the Church.

God Bless.

Sadly it’s not your place to go after this woman. You have a duty to your fiance as PART of your faith, and jeopardizing your relationship to evangelize someone who is now out of your life is not what God has in mind for you. Been there, done that. Pray for your ex, but don’t do anything that would upset things with your fiance. That relationship is over, time to forge new ones. Let God handle it, He’s plenty capable.

Let her go, dude. Let her go.

If you love somebody, set them free, as Mr. Sting once intoned.

Calvary Chapel is very inviting to Catholics as it is very general and invites an attitude of everyone is welcome. Many Catholics go to Calvary Chapel with an internal identity of being Catholic. It is ok to be Catholic and in Calvary Chapel (but just believe what Calvary Chapel teaches).
It was even inviting to me as I was coming back to the Church, they have great childrens programs, a well designed community system, a good private school, they have some of the most effective systems for involving people in the Church. The service has good music and usually well involved preachers. On the outside it is extremely inviting and with an attitude that says we are universal and always willing to be corrected by the Bible.
This is interesting to hear in the audio tapes by Saint Joseph Communications, saintjoe.com/p/prod_desc.pl?id=445

Underlying it all is a subtle anti-catholicism which isn’t enough to turn people off and is more just to bolster their position. The Calvary Chapel in my town is large and made up of the most influential people in the community. Very inviting for me as I have my own business, I am practically crazy not to go, except for one thing.

The Catholic Church, the pillar and bulwark of the truth.

The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ, not Chuck Smith. It is founded as Jesus Christ’s Church not an interpretation of the Bible by Chuck Smith. Calvary Chapel is essentially a modernist baptist church founded on principals created by Chuck Smith. Who gave Chuck Smith the authority to start his own Church? Why is his interpretation correct? He actually proves his interpretation is faulty in his book “The End Times”

It is sola-scriptura, sola-fe, but very attractive to the anyone who is immersed with an american culture attitude. As Americans we really want our own version of the Church and this is what Calvary Chapel does all the while saying it is ok. It is very difficult to leave Calvary Chapel, as people will react strongly, I have experienced it. Their theology is very, very shallow and easy to refute but many times they are unwilling to listen to your point of view.

I would tell this to your fiance, be as open as you can.
I would talk to her, everyone is worth it, many times people go back to Calvary Chapel after so many invitations by people. Keep inviting her to mass, talk with her, there is always hope for the truth, maybe just maintain contact until you get married, then do this. September isn’t very far away.

God Bless
Scylla

Conversion done for a certain person is not out of a free, willing heart. It isn’t likely a real conversion, either. The Roman Church is not a club with membership that guarantees salvation.

What’s more, marriage is intended for salvation of both persons, but not for conversion. It’s your life, you don’t owe it to your ex girlfriend.

If you are so concerned with her that you consider breaking up with your current fiancee to be back with her, then perhaps you still haven’t been able to get over the break-up and maybe your fiancee is not the woman for you or maybe you aren’t ready for the union with her?

Also, let me risk getting flamed and state something boldly: sex is not a tool of evangelisation. You don’t owe it to God or to anyone to enter into sexual union to convert someone.

[quote=Ahimsa]Let her go, dude. Let her go.

If you love somebody, set them free, as Mr. Sting once intoned.
[/quote]

Whoa… slow down here! I have no feelings for this girl at all! NONE what so ever… I just want to make that absolutely clear… i just am upset when ANYONE forsakes the truth for whatever reason…

Thanks…

[quote=Ghosty]Sadly it’s not your place to go after this woman. You have a duty to your fiance as PART of your faith, and jeopardizing your relationship to evangelize someone who is now out of your life is not what God has in mind for you. Been there, done that. Pray for your ex, but don’t do anything that would upset things with your fiance. That relationship is over, time to forge new ones. Let God handle it, He’s plenty capable.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, good advice… God Bless.

For the record, i wasn’t trying to pursue any type of relationship… just concerned for souls that’s all :thumbsup:

For the record, i wasn’t trying to pursue any type of relationship… just concerned for souls that’s all :thumbsup:

I understand completely, but your fiance may not be so understanding, and she really isn’t obligated to be. I don’t doubt your sincerity, I just think it’s safer to let others handle this particular case. Dipping into ex territory is almost ALWAYS trouble, regardless of feelings or intent :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.