My experiences lately involving a possible call to the Priesthood

I will try and sum this up as concise as possible, so that I can get some of your responses and feedback on my situation. Pretty soon I will begin RCIA, and enter the Catholic Church which has been calling me for quite a while now. Just this is quite a big step for me, and I will be the only person in my immediate family to be Catholic. I made the decision to enter the Church on my own about a year ago (I am currently 15), and I must say that I could truely hear the Blessed Mother calling for my homecoming. Well a year ago, at the same time I began to develop an interest in the Catholic Church, I also felt called to the priesthood. I almost felt as though it was gift placed upon me by God, or perhaps a duty which the Father wanted me to fulfill. I’m still very confused about all of this, and am admittedly very frightened of what God asks of me. Why would God place this overwhelming desire in my heart, if not to fulfill his will? I would ask myself (and continue to ask of myself) through prayer. What should I do from here? I found the video ‘Fishers of Men’, and this seemed as if an answer to my prayer. The video truely inspired me, and I thank those who put it together. I am still young, but I feel that I must prepare myself if I am to accomplish what God desires of me. Again, what should I do? Thank you very much for whatever time you have spent in replying to this thread, and also devoting time to answering my questions.:smiley:

[quote="Philology, post:1, topic:221393"]
I will try and sum this up as concise as possible, so that I can get some of your responses and feedback on my situation. Pretty soon I will begin RCIA, and enter the Catholic Church which has been calling me for quite a while now. Just this is quite a big step for me, and I will be the only person in my immediate family to be Catholic. I made the decision to enter the Church on my own about a year ago (I am currently 15), and I must say that I could truely hear the Blessed Mother calling for my homecoming. Well a year ago, at the same time I began to develop an interest in the Catholic Church, I also felt called to the priesthood. I almost felt as though it was gift placed upon me by God, or perhaps a duty which the Father wanted me to fulfill. I'm still very confused about all of this, and am admittedly very frightened of what God asks of me. Why would God place this overwhelming desire in my heart, if not to fulfill his will? I would ask myself (and continue to ask of myself) through prayer. What should I do from here? I found the video 'Fishers of Men', and this seemed as if an answer to my prayer. The video truely inspired me, and I thank those who put it together. I am still young, but I feel that I must prepare myself if I am to accomplish what God desires of me. Again, what should I do? Thank you very much for whatever time you have spent in replying to this thread, and also devoting time to answering my questions.:D

[/quote]

Don't worry too much at the moment. All future seminarians require a Bachelors degree before even entering the Seminary, so you have quite a bit of time to do some thinking (21-22ish).

You mentioned that you're in RCIA, have you talked to your parish priest about this? That might be a good place to start asking questions, or he might be able to direct you to the Vocation Director at the Diocese.

Always remember that God does not "trap" people. I once heard a priest mention at a talk that when you progress towards a vocation, the feelings your going to get are peace and joy; peace for finding where you're meant to be and joy for doing something you love. That is why we talk about following God's will, because God knows all about you and He will direct you to where you will thrive.
Remember Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope."

[quote="Philology, post:1, topic:221393"]
I will try and sum this up as concise as possible, so that I can get some of your responses and feedback on my situation. Pretty soon I will begin RCIA, and enter the Catholic Church which has been calling me for quite a while now. Just this is quite a big step for me, and I will be the only person in my immediate family to be Catholic. I made the decision to enter the Church on my own about a year ago (I am currently 15), and I must say that I could truely hear the Blessed Mother calling for my homecoming. Well a year ago, at the same time I began to develop an interest in the Catholic Church, I also felt called to the priesthood. I almost felt as though it was gift placed upon me by God, or perhaps a duty which the Father wanted me to fulfill. I'm still very confused about all of this, and am admittedly very frightened of what God asks of me. Why would God place this overwhelming desire in my heart, if not to fulfill his will? I would ask myself (and continue to ask of myself) through prayer. What should I do from here? I found the video 'Fishers of Men', and this seemed as if an answer to my prayer. The video truely inspired me, and I thank those who put it together. I am still young, but I feel that I must prepare myself if I am to accomplish what God desires of me. Again, what should I do? Thank you very much for whatever time you have spent in replying to this thread, and also devoting time to answering my questions.:D

[/quote]

Contact your parish priest or the diocese for the vocation director. Each diocese usually have one and he can discuss with you your vocation. Usually, there is a period of discernment. And I am not sure if you have been made aware in RCIA, the CC sees the priesthood as a sacrament.

I am not sure if there are still high school seminaries, if none, if it is your calling, I believe you can enter a seminary after high school, since you stated you are only 15.

A book I would recommend to you is Scott Hahn's "Many are Called-Rediscovering the Glory of the Priesthood"....it is a very heartwarming book about the priesthood. Wish for it to be a gift that will be given to you this Christmas....it will be well worth it.

[quote="curlycool89, post:2, topic:221393"]
Don't worry too much at the moment. All future seminarians require a Bachelors degree before even entering the Seminary, so you have quite a bit of time to do some thinking (21-22ish).

[/quote]

Well, no, not exactly. There is what is called college seminary, or minor seminary. I'm in such a seminary in Providence, Rhode Island. Many bishops send their men who do not have degrees to these places.

One thing you should consider is religious priesthood. Diocesan priesthood is hardly the only way about it, and you never know where God may be calling you. While I'm in a diocesan seminary, I am currently considering the life of a Carthusian monk. So don't forget this crucial decision too.

You should definetly talk to your priest. Also if you want information on religious orders which it would be good to get information I would contact either JREducation who is Franciscan or ByzCath. Both are excellent Brothers and will not give you any information that is misguided or against Church teaching. Whatever you decide to do - do prayerfully.

This is a very helpful thought. In the past, I’ve thought that God was punishing me with physical illness because I did not choose something that didn’t give me peace and joy. Hard to explain, but what the priest says dispels the notion.

The Church would require you to spend a few years (3 or 4) as a Catholic before exploring any possible vocation but that works out with your age.

The requirement to enter into a major semianry is 30 credits of philosophy which works out to be a Bachelors degree in philosophy as well as 12 credits of theology. These must be done at a good Catholic university as the major seminary will not accept those from a non-catholic institution.

So that is something you can start to think about, where you will atttend university and what you will study while there.

You should also investigate getting a spiritual director and volunteering at your local parish when you finish RCIA.

The work with your spiritual director is to see what you are being called to, religious life, priesthood within religious life, secular priesthood.

A vocation director does not help you with this, he is there to work with vocations to the orginization he is working for. So if you feel called to the religious life you do not call your diocesen vocations director (even though some here will tell you to do so).

A real world analogy is that a vocations director is like the recuiter for the military or a university. They will not send you to a different branch of the military or a different univeristy as they are working to fill up their group.

A spiritual director is there to help you figure out where to go or explore further. Such as if you do determine a call to religious life then to which religious institute? Then you would start contacting the various institutes that appeal to you through their vocation directors and learn more about them.

Hope this helps.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.