My father would be disappointed

I want to start off by saying this, I don’t plan on joining the seminary (unless the Lord leads me there), I do want to get married and have a family, but I sometimes feel like maybe becoming a monk, but above all I really really want to have a wife and children, anyways…
I was watching ewtn, and they had a program on about these guys studying in the seminary, my dad walked in and I told him what I was watching, and then he said “don’t become a priest”, and I said “what if I wanted to be a priest?”, and then he told me he would be disappointed, and that I should enjoy life, what if later in life the Lord really does calls me to the priesthood? I feel aweful about wanting to get married now:(

Listen, don’t let others get in between you and God, not even your own father, okay? Pray to God and let Him work in your soul. Listen to Him and let Him tell you what He wants of you, okay? This world isn’t about how to “enjoy” life best, but rather how to serve God best. If God is calling you to marriage, don’t think of it as a personal want. Think of it as a calling of God! Think of it as serving Him, okay? But if you’re called to the priesthood or other Holy Orders, follow that too. Just make sure to put your trust in God and follow Him; drown out external voices (except for a spiritual advisor, like a personal priest, of course).

Peace be with you and God bless,

SMGS

Thank you for the advice:o:blush::slight_smile:

Indeed, don’t let others come between you and God.
As one of the saints said, the love of God must come before all else.
We children naturally love our parents and want to please them, but more importantly we should aim to do what God, our Father, asks us to do.
Our parents’ will is temporal in design; God’s will is eternal in design.
God’s will is designed for our happiness and salvation.

God bless you! :slight_smile:

Thank you, it’s just that I feel like i’m doing what my dad wants me to do rather than what God wants me to do by getting married. Even though from the bottom of my heart I really do want to get married.

You want to get married.

Your dad wants you to get married.

You have no reason to believe that God is leading you in another direction at present.

So relax!

And to put it another way - your strong desire to get married is most likely related to you being called to that vocation. Until you feel a calling in another direction, you should assume that is the case.

this happens a lot.
Parents tend to think that being a priest is good for someone else’s son…
They think being a priest is lonely.
They think they will see their son very little.
They think they’ll never have grandkids, even If you have siblings.
They feel like innocent priests are targets because of the abusers.

I have a priest friend who said his dad said to him:
“how could you consider being a priest after all I’ve taught you?”
He replied “I want to become a priest BECAUSE of all you’ve taught me. You taught me to love and serve God.”
It was then that his father decided to support his vocation.
If it’s meant to be, it will be.
Or maybe you will be a fabulous father and husband.
Wait and see what God has in mind for you…and take it easy on your dad.
He truly does want you to be happy.

With regard to your becoming a priest, your father said that:

I think, should you ever grow deeply convinced that God has called you to a priestly or religious vocation, that this conviction will be able to express itself to your father in ways which address his concerns. God will give you the grace to fulfill your vocation should you listen to Him, and should you cooperate with Him.

Regarding enjoying life, in St. John’s Gospel, Our Lord said:

*Believe me when I tell you this; a grain of wheat must fall into the ground and die, or else it remains nothing more than a grain of wheat; but if it dies, then it yields rich fruit. He who loves his life will lose it; he who is an enemy to his own life in this world will keep it, so as to live eternally. If anyone is to be my servant, he must follow my way; so shall my servant too be where I am. If anyone serves me, my Father will do him honour. *

That is so sad. I would hope that parents would support the career and vocation decisions of their children, provided that there is nothing immoral or dangerous about those careers or vocations. I will pray for you.

As a father of children, one of which is an adult, I can say, that I’ve said and done stupid things. I’ve offered bad advice and made thousands of other mistakes. Fortunately, my children don’t hold that against me. Probably because I’ve done more things right than wrong. Maybe your father deserves the same.

The seminary probably would not accept you because you must want to be a priest for the right reasons. And doing it for good ole dad isn’t one of them. Unless you lie.

Marry and have a bunch of cute kids to love. Jesus would be happy with that.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.