My Father's Failing Health

I have long been indifferent to my father’s health. After all, we haven’t been on good terms, at least from my perspective. I felt that he was very austere to me when I was growing up. As a result of his austerity, it has been difficult for us to develop a highly communicative relationship. In other words, it’s been difficult for me to want to talk to him on a regular basis. In the past, I have had thoughts of wanting him to die. The very thought of thinking such things scares me now. I really don’t know what I feel towards him (whether I hate or love him). Yet, every time I see him suffering I cannot help but wish him better. I deeply wish he were healthier and that the Holy Spirit might burn away any frost in my heart. His health is declining–I do not know how fast. It was only last year that he was able to drive and now he can hardly leave the house. I feel in my heart that he’s a live, but not living at all. I hate seeing him going through this suffering and what bothers me is that neither can do anything to alleviate his suffering nor do I feel as affected as I should. I am worried by my sometimes indifferent attitude towards him.

Reading the gospel of Mark, I see Jesus repeatedly stress faith:

When Jesus saw the faith of the four men carrying their paralytic friend he healed them. (Mark 2:5)

Jesus responds that the woman with a hemorrhage’s faith permits him to heal her affliction (Mark 6:34)

To the man who doubts that Jesus can cast out the demon in his son, Jesus replies “‘If you can! Everything is possible to one who has faith.’” (Mark 9:23)

I know that if I have faith and it is a part of God’s will, He can heal my father. But faith is a gift from God. Please pray that I will have the faith to believe that it is possible for God to heal my dad, pray that he will remove all indifference from my soul and pray that it is God’s will that my father be healed. Some say that he will die and while I believe that to be a possibility, I believe that faith in God’s power can open up another possibility—his recovery.

Praying for your intentions

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I thank you deeply. I will also be doing some praying of my own for the gift of faith and for my father’s recovery.

Dear Lord, I pray for this good soul’s father that his father be healed of his sickness. Let his son’s faith and trust in you bring his father a complete healing, if it be what you will for his father. This son wishes only well for his sick father and so I pray that he does not worry too much about not feeling as warm toward his father emotionally. In his will he wants only good for his father - a mark of his true love for his father and not indifference toward him. Sometimes we don’t feel we are loving someone because we base our opinion on our feelings regarding them. But our feelings are not always a good gage of our love for another person. The good gage is whether or not we will the good for the other and will their eternal happiness by our good actions (prayer, asking for prayer, fraternal correction, etc.). His son is asking for prayer and healing for his father. He thus actively loves his father and is not truly indifferent, maybe just emotionally, but not with his will. Help him not fuss about this feeling of indifference, but allow him to just continue loving his father through prayer, seeking help for his father through the prayers of others, and doing what he can for the soul of his father while he still has him, even if the past does not allow him to feel warm and beautiful feelings toward his father. I ask this in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Praying for healing of relationship and health

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Thank you ready and all those who have offered prayers. I pray that my father be healed, for I know that God can heal him, but even if that is not what God wills, I pray that God will bring his soul to the state of grace which is the highest form of healing.

For your Dad in his failing health
And that your heart can be healed of the lack of love you felt from your Dad
and that you find a way to give each other honest caring now.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God,
cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

You’re welcome, Image of God!

Yes, you are right in praying for your father’s salvation. We should all pray for this for our fathers. There is no limit to God’s mercy and compassion and our Heavenly Father wants your earthly father in heaven, and not in hell, more than anyone else ever could want. I pray that by the time your father is called to our Lord, even if it is in his last breath, that he cooperates with God’s sweet, delicate grace and repents and asks God’s mercy with true love of God and sorrow for his sins. Pray to God for a deathbed conversion, if not a conversion earlier in his days. Some people seem like they will not be able to get in to heaven based on exterior appearances, but some of these very same people in their last breath are graced by God to cooperate with His grace of conversion and will have true contrition for their sins, pleading God for His mercy on their souls - and only God is aware of their conversion. If they can plead with love for God, God is able to help them. Only if they despair and resist His last grace of conversion of heart are they in trouble and lost (as they are actually denying God’s mercy.) So let us not despair of our fathers’ salvation when they do not seem all together kosher with God at the present. Let us pray for their conversion and salvation with faith that God hears us our persistent prayers. May our persistent prayers win for our fathers’ graces to help them save their souls. Peace!

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen

Your Post is clear to me dear Image of God. I understand well your situation. But … think that you and your father have one Father, The Father. You both have one Jesus, the savior of both of you, and one Marry, the mother of both of you. You are not alone. You have three beside you. So, Pray my brother, pray hard, to not feel guilty by someway, to forgive and understand. I will pray very hard to your intention.

For your Dad in his failing health
And that your heart can be healed of the lack of love you felt from your Dad
for your forgiveness for his lack of love and his forgiveness for not loving him,
and that you find a way to give each other honest caring now.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle;
be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God,
cast into hell satan and all the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

still praying

Thank you Tarek Chidac for your encouraging words and thank you all for your prayers. I know that my dad can recover (albeit miraculously). I do not think that I’m asking God for too much. Even if He chooses not to heal my dad, I will still want to worship Him, for all that He does is Good. I pray, though, that my dad’s recovery is part of His will.

I’m praying for that too…
God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.