My First Debate!

I am part of a one on one debate with a 75 year old protestant on bible discussion. The topic is “is purgatory real” It is my first debate!!
I am having a blast!! I want to have this thread just in case I really need help, which I will, like right now. I will try to answer him with all the information that I have studied and by my research, but the rest I might need help from y’all. He believed in Saheol, but said it was closed after Jesus came, how do I respond to that? Take a look
my first debate on purgatory!! how am i doing? do i get something wrong? is it entertaining?
thanks and God bless
D Quintero aka Ranchero

for your first debate pretty well, but as you can see when you defend the faith you open up pandoras box with a whole slew of theological differences. First purgatory, than mortal/venial sin, baptismal regeneration, you are going to be running around in circles on this one.

I looked at it, you did pretty good for your first debate. It is good how you maintained charity and kept your cool.

God Bless
Scylla

Peace be with you!

Not bad…not bad at all. I think, however, that you should bring up 2 Maccabees and prayers for the dead. He, of course, will deny their canonicity (thus leading into a side debate), but the two are ultimately tied together and most Protestants I’ve spoken with agree. In fact, I even had a Calvinist who is the most stubborn, hard headed person I’ve ever discussed religion with say to me, “You prove one, you prove the other. You disprove one, you disprove the other.” He meant you prove either Purgatory or the canonicity of the Deuterocanonicals and the other is proved by that.

In Christ,
Rand

Thank you for your comments
I need help, The Jews believed in purgatory, but they called it something different. What did they call it?

Here is a link to a Catholic Answers page on Purgatory
which mentions the Jews.
catholic.com/library/Roots_of_Purgatory.asp

I believe the name of it is Gehenom mentioned on this page here that talks a little more about the Talmud and Jews

kensmen.com/catholic/purgatory.html

God Bless
Scylla

[quote=D Quintero]Thank you for your comments
I need help, The Jews believed in purgatory, but they called it something different. What did they call it?
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

Orthodox Jews today still use the Deuterocanonicals and have prayers for the dead.

In Christ,
Rand

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.