My first taste of anti-Catholicism

So, my wife and I have been studying and praying about a possible conversion to Catholicism. The evidence is all over our house, from the TV tuned to EWTN, the radio tuned to Ave Maria, the books by Keating, Ray and Akin, and the weekly bulletins from our visits to SS Cyril & Methodius.

Throughout this time of study, my wife’s family have been quite supportive of our search for truth (although they’ve viewed it as a search for us to satisfy our preferences). However, this all changed a few nights ago. My wife called her parents for a casual chat, but her sister answered the phone instead. That’s when she launched into a diatribe about how we’re rushing into a decision without knowing all of the facts (last time I checked, 9 months of study and prayer wasn’t exactly a ‘rush’) and that we’re just doing this so we can think we’re ‘better’ than her. On that second point, she used the exclusion of non-Catholic Christians from the Eucharist (in comparison to her Anglican church, in which the so-called Eucharist is open to everyone). No amount of explaining the Catholic perspective on the Eucharist would satisfy her.

So, I’m already experiencing anti-Catholic bias, and I’m not even Catholic :stuck_out_tongue:

Congratulations! Just wait til you’re called a cannibal, an idol worshiper, a pagan, and your spiritual leader here on earth is the anti-christ! Then you’ll be fully prepared to wear the name “Catholic” proudly!!!

NotWorthy

dj,

Nice to see you on the board. I hope all is well.

I guess we all have heard a lot of anti-Catholicism. I used to get upset about it, but now I realize that most of the misguided souls who promote the ‘cannibalism’ and ‘idol worshipper’ stuff (and some of the milder things) are just parroting what they have been taught.

This group does not include the ‘big’ anti-Catholics, who have made a business out of it. Jack Chick is the most famous of them, but the internet is crawling with these types.

Your sister-in-law obviously has a different perspective on Catholicism, and you did the right thing by explaining the Church’s view to her. Keep on the path.

Don’t worry about it take your time, you know where home is and it will welcome you when you decide to make that conversion. Remember to bring some boxing gloves, cause your going to have to slug it out once in awhile. :smiley:

Off topic but -Hi neighbor. :wave: I grew up in Sterling Hts, now live in Shelby. We are members of St. Cyril’s after growing up and being members for many years at St. Blase. It’s great you’ve found such an orthodox parish right from the start. It took us years to discover St. Cyril’s.

Converts are often the best defenders of the faith. Learn your stuff and get used to the “misunderstandings.” It’s part of being Catholic.
God Bless.

[quote=severinus]Your sister-in-law obviously has a different perspective on Catholicism, and you did the right thing by explaining the Church’s view to her. Keep on the path.
[/quote]

Thanks for the vote of confidence, friend! I’m on the path, and closer every day.

I find it funny that I’m able to explain significant Catholic doctrines better than most of my cradle-Catholic co-workers (thanks, of course, to CA:thumbsup: ).

[quote=djrakowski]Thanks for the vote of confidence, friend! I’m on the path, and closer every day.

I find it funny that I’m able to explain significant Catholic doctrines better than most of my cradle-Catholic co-workers (thanks, of course, to CA:thumbsup: ).
[/quote]

You’re in good company; some of the best apologists were converts, such as Cardinal Newman and St. Paul.

NotWorthy Congratulations! Just wait til you’re called a cannibal, an idol worshiper, a pagan, and your spiritual leader here on earth is the anti-christ! Then you’ll be fully prepared to wear the name “Catholic” proudly!!!

NotWorthy

Don’t forget Pharisee…I’ve gotten this before…it’s something about the rubrics and the supposed Catholic legalism…:wink:

Welcome to our cult of knee bending, ring kissing, candle lighting, bead counting, vain prayer speaking, over populating, non-self-thinking, Bible prohibited, graven image worshiping, Mary for God substituting, baby dippers.

We live in a anti-Catholic, immoral, Protestant dominated nation that kills more every year then Hitler did in his ovens. Get used to suffering for Jesus just like the rest of us Catholics. It could be worse, we could be in North Korea, China or India where Catholics die routinely for Jesus. (PS, so do other Christians too)

[quote=Malachi4U]Welcome to our cult of knee bending, ring kissing, candle lighting, bead counting, vain prayer speaking, over populating, non-self-thinking, Bible prohibited, graven image worshiping, Mary for God substituting, baby dippers.

[/quote]

:smiley: :rotfl:

You forgot “mackeral snappers”

I never before thought of myself as a baby-dipping mackeral snapper, but now when someone asks me about my faith, this is what I’ll tell them! :rotfl:

[quote=djrakowski]That’s when she launched into a diatribe about how we’re rushing into a decision without knowing all of the facts (last time I checked, 9 months of study and prayer wasn’t exactly a ‘rush’) and that we’re just doing this so we can think we’re ‘better’ than her.
[/quote]

Hi there! :wave:

Let me make sure I’m understanding this correctly. Your sister genuinely believes that the reason you’re converting to Catholicism is SO THAT you can think you’re better than HER? She really thinks this is all about her?

I hope I’m misunderstanding you. May the Lord richly bless your journey home!

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]Let me make sure I’m understanding this correctly. Your sister genuinely believes that the reason you’re converting to Catholicism is SO THAT you can think you’re better than HER? She really thinks this is all about her?

I hope I’m misunderstanding you. May the Lord richly bless your journey home!
[/quote]

Oh no, Nancy, you’ve understood it right. Absolutely everything is about my sister-in-law. She would feel ‘judged’ by us if we were to join the Catholic Church and start adhering to all those ‘absolutes’ (the odd part is that we already adhere to most of those absolutes!)

[quote=Malachi4U]We live in a anti-Catholic, immoral, Protestant dominated nation that kills more every year then Hitler did in his ovens. Get used to suffering for Jesus just like the rest of us Catholics. It could be worse, we could be in North Korea, China or India where Catholics die routinely for Jesus. (PS, so do other Christians too)
[/quote]

My sister-in-law’s nonsense was hardly a cause of our ‘suffering,’ but I get your point nonetheless :slight_smile:

I may be confused, but are you equating the immorality of our nation with the fact that it is ‘Protestant dominated?’ It isn’t morally conservative Protestants doing the killing in the abortion mills.

[quote=djrakowski]So, my wife and I have been studying and praying about a possible conversion to Catholicism. The evidence is all over our house, from the TV tuned to EWTN, the radio tuned to Ave Maria, the books by Keating, Ray and Akin, and the weekly bulletins from our visits to SS Cyril & Methodius.

Throughout this time of study, my wife’s family have been quite supportive of our search for truth (although they’ve viewed it as a search for us to satisfy our preferences). However, this all changed a few nights ago. My wife called her parents for a casual chat, but her sister answered the phone instead. That’s when she launched into a diatribe about how we’re rushing into a decision without knowing all of the facts (last time I checked, 9 months of study and prayer wasn’t exactly a ‘rush’) and that we’re just doing this so we can think we’re ‘better’ than her. On that second point, she used the exclusion of non-Catholic Christians from the Eucharist (in comparison to her Anglican church, in which the so-called Eucharist is open to everyone). No amount of explaining the Catholic perspective on the Eucharist would satisfy her.

So, I’m already experiencing anti-Catholic bias, and I’m not even Catholic :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

Your sister is a piece of work.
I’m searching too. Scott Hahn can help. I’m Presbyterian and he puts it the way I could understand it.
Also, silence is good. Just don’t say anything to her and she will have nothing to say back. When my family starts on me (my wife is Catholic so they know I am serious) I just look at them and say, I hope you are going to give me the support in any decision I make. then walk away.

[quote=tadly]Your sister is a piece of work.
I’m searching too. Scott Hahn can help. I’m Presbyterian and he puts it the way I could understand it.
Also, silence is good. Just don’t say anything to her and she will have nothing to say back. When my family starts on me (my wife is Catholic so they know I am serious) I just look at them and say, I hope you are going to give me the support in any decision I make. then walk away.
[/quote]

Scott Hahn is good. He’s interested in getting Catholics to know their Bibles, which is always a good thing :thumbsup:

You’re right - we shouldn’t say anything else to her (although she brought it up without our prompting this time). I know she has her mind made up (for now) that we’re just evil, but that’s OK.

I’ll be praying for you.
Dan

Hello dj,

I went through this about 8 years ago. I came from a solidly Baptist family (the only Catholic in generations). I have found that time helped a lot, but I still get some odd questions.

This summer I went to visit my aunt. She called my mother to ask what kind of food we (Catholics) could eat. Specifically, she didn’t know if we ate pork.

[quote=edward_george]Don’t forget Pharisee…I’ve gotten this before…it’s something about the rubrics and the supposed Catholic legalism…:wink:
[/quote]

Seems like the sola script boys are very much legalistic.

I think it’s sad that people can be so wicked. Jesus tells us in the beatitudes to rejoice when people tell falsehoods against you for your faith. :cool:

family members have criticized me vehemently not only for adhering to the Catholic faith we were raised in, but for finishing college, getting an advanced degree, moving, taking certain jobs, publishing books, writing a newspaper column and various other activities because I just do it to prove I am better than them. This sister’s problem lies in the family relationships, if she didn’t have religion she would find another reason to attack her sister.

After reading what goes on in the U.S, I feel lucky to live in Australia. the only anti- Catholic feelings i have ever encountered was when i was working as a grounds keeper at a multi deomination christian school. We ( myself and two other grounds keepers) were standing out the front of our school which just happens to be across the road from a catholic school. Which had the best kept lawns you could ever see. But on this day the lawn was a little long (about a inch longer than they normaly kept it) and one of my co-workers said “pfft you would think they would take better care of their lawns” I scoffed to myself when i turned around and our lawns were riddled with patches of dirt and bindi’s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.