My first Traditional Latin Mass

I was very surprised at how comfortable I was.

I arrived at the Church about a half an hour early–the Church is only about a half hour’s drive away, and being new to the state, I am not familiar at all with the area–and was so happy to be able to sit and pray insilence. The atmosphere was reverent and amenable. A number of people whose eyes I met smiled and nodded in welcome.

There were red Latin/English missals and “Traditional Catholic Hymnal” in the foyer of the Church, and I really did not have any trouble at all following the Mass, although I did peek over the gentleman’s shoulder in front of me once or twice to find my place.

I was a little surprised that there were no readings from the Old Testament, nor a Psalm.

The Priest’s Homily was very very good. He talked about how decay doesn’t happen over night, but begins with a weakening of certain structures over time leading toward an inevitable collapse. He gave as examples that when Satan tempts us, he often changes the vocabulary: abortion is simply a ‘termination of pregnancy,’ fornication merely ‘extra-marital affairs.’ He reminded me so much of one of the Moderators at Catholic Forum, Thomas, in his choice of phrases.

I have ordered a Traditional Missal that one poster recommended to me on another thread, so it will be nice to be able to follow the readings.

It felt like a privilege to receive Communion today. It was very very special. I have only sometimes felt that way in the past. There was something–and I don’t have the words to explain it–very special receiving at the rail. I felt as if I were approaching Jerusalem, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

I would like to close by standing up and saying, “Hello, my name is Maurin. And I am a Traditional Catholic. I love our Mass, in all its forms, but I expecially love where we came from. And to where, I hope, we are returning. It seems I am here to stay.”

I am glad that it went well for you. As you continue to attend the TLM, you will notice more and more how every word, gesture and action contributes to the worship of God.

Deo Gratias!

The first time I went to the Tridentine Mass, I knew that I was never going anywhere else again. :thumbsup:

Hello Maurin,

I rejoice with you that you have found your home in the Body of Christ! It seems that all former misgivings are now removed and the Lord has touched your heart as to where you belong! Amen!

I have a question since you mentioned that there were only two readings. Did they follow the current cycle that the N.O. uses? Or was the reading completely different? This is what we read today: nccbuscc.org/nab/012807.shtml

In other words, do traditional Catholics receive the same word of God that the universal church listens to? To be honest, I would really miss having three readings and especially the psalm. So often, the Old Testament reading sheds more light on the New and completes the meaning for me.

Carole

in our chapel, ( SSPX ) the priest always reads from the Bible,
then he gives his homily.

In short, no. The readings are completely different for both Sundays and weekdays…

Traditional Catholics are part of the universal Church. Perhaps you could say “Do Traditional Catholics have the same readings as the rest of the Church?”

I am really not intending to be brash, it is just that your wording irked me.

No, the readings are done from the 1962 calender. Before the OT reading and the psalm were added to the Mass. There are times when the readings are the same, such as the 4 weeks in Advent.

Dear Joysong,

I did not understand your post either I am afraid. Could you elaborate? I may have misunderstood your post, it truly sounded as if you think Traditional Catholics are somehow not part of the Universal Catholic Church.

I know some Traditional Catholics, and I would like to know if that was your intention in your post or not.

I will defend my Traditional Catholic freinds at all times, and their right to respect at all times.

I believe my question was directed to Maurin, was it not? And I believe my intent towards traditional worshippers is quite clear in my post to him:

I rejoice with you that you have found your home in the Body of Christ! It seems that all former misgivings are now removed and the Lord has touched your heart as to where you belong! Amen!

MAY I HAVE EVERYONE’S ATTENTION, PLEASE?

Thank you :stuck_out_tongue:

Joysong is a very close and valued e-friend of mine. We are of very similar hearts. I have a respect for her that many of you have for each other. We began our friendship on a different forum, and I value her opinions, some with which I agree, and some with which I do not agree. But I am not so egotistical or silly to disregard the opinions of those with whom I differ in opinion. Only listening to one perspective and no others, in my opinion, makes for a very 2 dimensional outlook at the most, and a poorly informed outlook at the very least.

So we are clear, allow me to repeat myself: Hello, my name is Maurin, and I am a Traditional Catholic. I love our Mass in all its forms, but I especially love where we came from, and hopefully to where we are returning.

And so that we are even clearer, it is not because of the Traditional Catholics that I know personally or electronically that I have become a Traditional Catholic. Actually, it is in spite of many of them that I have become one anyway. And I am always so grateful to those Traditionalists who are gentle while remaining firm in talking about their beliefs.

I love the reverence, the holiness and most especially the transcendence (on many different levels) of our Traditional Mass.

My thick-skinned friend, Joysong!!! May St. Michael the Archangel keep you safe from the attacks you suffer!

AJV has answered your question, and I am happy that he understood, it seems, that there was no malintent behind your question.

But yes, I am struck also by the lack of OT readings, and I do understand what you said: “so often the OT reading sheds more light on the New and completes the meaning for [you].”

I agree. And maybe I will be lacking that ‘fullfillment’ that you experience in the new Lectionary. Fortunately, the cycle of readings of the NO is still available to all Catholics, as is the Traditional cycle.

But may I share with you something that I found today? Something that I have lacked since I left Texas? A Priest who preached the Word of God as it relates to my life today! Who was not afraid to remind me of my sinfullness and call me a sinner. Not in order to scare me, or make me feel bad. But to remind me of God’s Mercy and love. To point out to me how I fall under the Devil’s maneuvering when I’m ‘out in the world.’

I actually learned something today.

I am grateful.

bill

As you may or may not know Joy, the Traditional readings are different and there are only two, the Epistle and the Gospel. They do not follow the same cycle at all. But then again in weekday Pauline Rite Masses there are only two readings as well correct? :slight_smile: The Traditional uses the old fashioned :eek: one year cycle of readings and of course, using the modern :thumbsup: three year cycle there will be more readings overall.

So no, those of us that attend the Traditional Rite do not hear the same readings as, how did you say it, the Universal Church? But then again, I don’t think the Eastern Rite Churches, those in full communion with Rome that is, have the same readings either, I know the Maronite Church does not,so actually what you should have said was that we don’t hear the same readings as those of the Pauline Rite of the Roman Church

As far as the term Old Testament, I can’t believe that you would use such an archaic and possibly insulting term :tsktsk: I believe the current PC terminology for it is the Hebrew Scriptures. I know when I went through catechist training they were pretty strict on that one. It is true the Pauline does have more of those readings but the Traditional Mass had them as well. And with the Psalms, there were more of those in the Traditional than in the Pauline. A lot more actually.

Oh and Joy, you never answered my question from a while back.

What exactly did you mean when you referred to N.O. people?

Palmas,

When one authors a post or any other work that will be read by all types of people, one chooses terminilogy that is easily understood. Not everyone is a catechist, as you are, and not everyone would know what the Hebrew scriptures are. Yet everyone will easily understand my meaning if I say Old Testament readings. To condescending label my words as you did reveals a heart that does not fit in with our second reading today, does it?

What exactly did you mean when you referred to N.O. people?

Fisheaters like to bite on bigger worms than this, Palmas. I prefer nightcrawler harnesses. :wink:

Hey guys,

Please don’t turn my joy to sorrow. And…

Please do not hijack my thread.

and forget not to share love, for some have entertained angels unaware!

Hello Maurin,

There were red Latin/English missals and “Traditional Catholic Hymnal” in the foyer of the Church, and I really did not have any trouble at all following the Mass, although I did peek over the gentleman’s shoulder in front of me once or twice to find my place.

Yup, I’ve recently posted that I like the FSSP red missalette so much I leave my other heavy duty, *Look-at me-I’m-a-Traditionalist-missal *at home. :wink:

What hooked you, Maurin, besides what sounds like some wonderful preaching today? I fell like a ton of bricks for the chant at my first TLM.

Best, :tiphat:

Maurin, I am so glad it was such a good experience for you. So you know and can plan if you get to a TLM in February, here is the calendar for the Sundays:

2/4 Septuagesima Sunday
2/11 Sexagesima Sunday
2/18 Quinquagesima Sunday
2/25 1st Sunday of Lent

Septuagesima Sunday starts the Septuagesima season which is a short pre-Lent season. The priest starts to wear violet vestments, and we start to switch from the joy of Christmas/Epiphany seasons to the penance and more sorrowful season of Lent.

Dear Charleston,

The silence. That people were in the Church to pray and to worship, and not to socialize–they did that outside both before and after the Mass. Much smiling and laughing outside, and much prayer and reflection inside.

The only distraction were the myriad of Holy Images. Now that’s my kind of distraction!

I just moved from Charleston, SC to Hollywood Florida. My Parish, not Traditional, was Blessed Sacrament in W. Ashley. I was one of the Cantors there. I miss Charleston terribly!!!

Thanks!

Actually, the Priest explained that to us, that next Sunday we will see some changes to the vestments, and I believe he also mentioned that we will refrain from the Gloria until Easter because of the pre-Lenten season.

Maurin, I’m sorry I missed this thread, I just reply in another thread to you about your experience. I am very happy it went well my friend. :slight_smile:

The more I read the more I honestly pray that the TLM is offered more for those want this and that the Pope will allow it.

Your journey is turning into an education for me. :slight_smile:

Palmas, that is very interesting…I did not know the readings were different.

My dh has a very old children’s Missal that was his Fathers when he was young, it’s so beautiful…old and tattered but leather and has the Latin along side English. Now would this little Missal be pretty much the same as you would see today in a TLM?

Dear Maurin, my good friend,

And maybe I will be lacking that ‘fullfillment’ that you experience in the new Lectionary. Fortunately, the cycle of readings of the NO is still available to all Catholics, as is the Traditional cycle.

You are a very spiritual person, and I trust God will lead you as a Shepherd does His lambs, into verdant pastures! Now that may take many different forms, for each person is unique, and hears God at their own level. My guidance customarily comes through the daily scriptures, and it is so uncanny how many times when I am going through something, the answer comes within a day or so, through God’s Word. It comes as confirmation of something that preceded, for if it came prior to it, I would not understand. That is why I would miss hearing them, as I mentioned above.

But I can sense already that for you it may come from the homily such as you heard today. And if you hear only two readings, that is not a lesser good, because God will speak through them in a powerful way. He is not limited – so as long as you are being spiritually nourished, I pray you will go to your new parish as often as possible.

But may I share with you something that I found today? Something that I have lacked since I left Texas? A Priest who preached the Word of God as it relates to my life today!

I would also be remiss if I did not express my grateful thanks for your kindness in supporting me. I am still overwhelmed! Your love in action is a beautiful witness to your spirit!

Carole

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.