My four year old asked me why the bad guys killed Jesus

I'm sort of at a loss how to answer him. I told him they were afraid of Jesus and what he had to say. They thought that he was offending God and that really scared them, so they killed him.

Any other suggestions? He's four. He has a tendency to repeat the same question eight or ten times, sort of like being interrogated.

I heard him whispering Jesus' name at bedtime last night and during nap today. He's a real cutie-pie.

Sounds like you answered just fine. My daughter has been asking similar questions lately. I think keeping it pretty simple like you did is good -- and then be sure to talk about Jesus coming back to life and living with God in heaven! :D

Because they were bad guys. We have to make sure we aren't bad guys too.

This is what very bright children do: repeatedly ask questions and then endlessly question the answers. I think the right answer for a bright four year old would be what Jesus said himself: "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."
Son: "They didn't know they were killing Jesus?"
Mom: "No. No one had taught them about Him. Everyone of us has to learn about Him."
(and exceptionally bright children will usually be very anxious for knowledge, then ask a whole lot more questions. Get used to it like most all parents of gifted children). Little children talking with Jesus in bed is terrific. Remember, though, its his very private time. "Now I lay me down to sleep--" is OK. But nothing beats One-on-One with Jesus. God Bless You and Your Precious Child.
From a Mensan

My daughter will be four on Friday and today after church, when we came home we took out the bible. It's fror 1975 and has a few different sections of pictures in it. One section with about 32 different pictures from each part of the mass and another section of pictures for all or well minus one set of mysteries from the rosary. Since in church today she was showing a real interest in Mary (and still thinks Jesus is a girl because she doesn't seem to be grasping that it's a robe he's wearing) I thought I'd introduce her to the rosary.

When we got to the crucifixion, I pretty much explained to her the same way you did. Only I didn't have the mind sense to tell her it was because they thought they he was offending God. I just kind of left it at they weren't very nice and didn't like him and so they did what they did.

I think she had more difficulty grasping the concept of the resurrection and eternal life. She asked me "so then does he [Jesus] put you on a special bed, and put tape on your blood? [meaning cuts and things]" Melted my heart to a little puddle. They say the sweetest sweetest things.

I hope to work on these things with her before this Easter vigil so that she has a little more understanding. I thought I would stay with the way the Veggie Tales presented everything in an Easter Carol, because I was afraid to scare her with images of the crucifixion. But perhaps there is a way to meld the two ...

Thanks for posting a topic that struck home. I do agree, and think you did wonderfully in your explanation.

Am certain that I'd have to add the following.

Even though some bad men killed Jesus, and even though
they didn't understand that Jesus is the Lord, really Jesus
died for ALL of us, because all of us do wrong things at different times.
Jesus died for us to say a BIG "I'm sorry for everyone's wrong acts."
He did this for EVERYBODY and because we know that, we can thank Him.

[quote="Seaumas, post:4, topic:229099"]
I think the right answer for a bright four year old would be what Jesus said himself: "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do."
Son: "They didn't know they were killing Jesus?"
Mom: "No. No one had taught them about Him. Everyone of us has to learn about Him."

[/quote]

I really do like this answer. I will certainly have this handy for when this question comes up again, as it will. Thank you for a very direct answer that just entirely escaped me.

"... for they know not what they do."

Yes, exactly.

thank you!!!

I would only add the happy ending! Bad guys killed Jesus, but he won in the end because he came back alive to live in our hearts and welcome us to heaven! Then share a hug and tell him the love you feel for each other is from Jesus.

Yours in Christ.

Great input, I really appreciate all your ideas! I figure I'll deal with the resurrection closer to Easter. The chocolate, bunnies and chicks tend to complicate things a bit though. :hypno:

We went through several weeks of him correcting me that Jesus is dead. We've been going back and forth for a while, me saying Jesus lives in heaven with God, and him correcting me, "No, Jesus is dead" me: "No, Jesus is in heaven," him: "No, Jesus is dead," and on and on...

I also told him that the bad guys didn't know how much Jesus loved them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.