My friend's GF (Wiccan) (also annoying) needs a place to stay for a month

Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this.

Anyways, I’m in a strange predicament. I got put on the spot just now, where my friend’s girlfriend who is a witch (My friend is a practicing Catholic) is going to be kicked out of her dorms for the Christmas break. I live on my own, and I have a comfy couch, and normally I wouldn’t mind letting a friend stay over. But I just feel weird about this. Mostly because she is annoying, and I don’t think I can take a whole month living with her. but also because she is wiccan. I will not allow any witchcraft to be practiced in my home (for obvious reasons) I don’t know how practical it would be to forbid someone from practicing their religion for a month. (especially without angering the other person, and doing it anyways out of spite, or simply in secret) If I was in her situation, and I was forbidden to pray, or practice my religion in any way, I would find somewhere else (or live on the street if I have to).

So I don’t know what to do. She has no money to go back home for the break, and she already asked all her other friends, and she can’t find a place to stay. I know the Christian thing to do would be to help someone out in a situation like that. I just don’t know if I can do it. She is so annoying. And I will not allow any witchraft in my home. Yet I feel like I’m being put on the spot. I don’t know what to do. I haven’t talked to my friend yet.

One thing I might add, she may be annoying, but (from what I’ve seen) she seems to be a good person. We also have similar political beliefs (strongly pro life and stuff) so its not like we can’t be civil or anything. I just can’t stand how much she talks about dumb stuff. I feel like a bad person for saying that, but I’m just being honest.

I’ve told my own mother she couldn’t stay with me. I would have no problems telling my friend I had no room for his witch girlfriend. There is a reason she is being kicked out of her dorm room. What makes you think your home will be not be subject to the behaviour that got her kicked out of her room? Whoever asked you (witch gf or your friend), simply tell them no, you can’t put her up. You aren’t obligated to explain further. You might feel guilty for a while (I certainly have) but feelings are transitory.

You can give her resources toward finding somewhere to live. Don’t offer her a place if you guys are going to antagonize each other.

Let her know you can help her look at apts, etc, if that is something you would be willing to do.

There are shelters, if she is that desperate.

If she was kicked out of a dorm, I’d be very cautious about letting her stay with me, especially if I didn’t know all the details of WHY she’s been kicked out.

Reminds me of the scorpion and the frog.

The Scorpion and the Frog

A scorpion and a frog meet on the bank of a stream and the
scorpion asks the frog to carry him across on its back. The
frog asks, “How do I know you won’t sting me?” The scorpion
says, “Because if I do, I will die too.”

The frog is satisfied, and they set out, but in midstream,
the scorpion stings the frog. The frog feels the onset of
paralysis and starts to sink, knowing they both will drown,
but has just enough time to gasp “Why?”

Replies the scorpion: "Its my nature..."

aesopfables.com/cgi/aesop1.cgi?4&TheScorpionandtheFrog

Some universities kick out all their dorm-resident students over school breaks.

How much money does she need to go home for winter break? Is she an international student?

That’s what the situation is. No she’s just from out of state. Neither her nor her family have the money to fly (or gas to drive) her.

what kind of catholic ARE you?!?!?!?!?!

i say Christ would let her stay. so should you

have you people never been to college!? schools close for Christmas break! students have to leave! this is making me sad to see such uncharitable posting here… sounds like you might not have Jesus stay with you cause he got “kicked out of the inn” or is jewish…

You said she’s being kicked out of the dorm. Is it just because the residence hall cafeteria is closing (so her stuff stays put in the room), or because both she AND all her stuff are being moved out (and hopefully back in to another room at the beginning of January)? I hope she isn’t planning to store her fridge, furniture, clothes, what-have-you in your living room for a month.

How is it she can afford to feed herself for a month while the school cafeteria is closed, but can’t afford to rent a storage shed for her stuff and buy a bus ticket home?

Can your mutual friend loan her enough to buy the bus ticket? Why won’t her parents or other relatives help her buy the bus ticket? Has she checked the school’s ride-share listings to find someone heading towards her hometown for Christmas?

Or, MAYBE, she doesn’t want to go home for Christmas. You should ask. A lot of time people ask for charity, not because they can’t help themselves, but because they don’t want to help themselves. There’s a difference. This is important. You need not feel guilty for refusing to help someone who can help herself but prefers to take advantage of someone else (like you) instead.

Sounds like she has nowhere to go, poor kid.
Your friend might be able to stay with me, I just need to make sure there is space first. I had another friend who was to crash on my couch and they might be canceling.

But…you don’t say what city she’s in?
I’m in Manhattan.

Even if she is annoying, you say she is a “good person” right? You trust her?

If someone practices witchcraft in your home it could have a lasting effect of evil in your house.
While we don’t have the responsibility for taking care everyone who is down and out, you do feel responsibility for this particular person. If you believe this, you could go and find her a place to stay and pay for it yourself, in a boarding house or whatever. Most people could pay for this for someone else for a month. Or why not give her bus fare to go home?
Perhaps you don’t realize that someone practicing witchcraft in your house could bring the spirit of darkness there. If I was you, better to be safe than sorry.

I’m going to follow up on the Ignatian theme, and presume that she will have no place to stay because the dorms will be closed for the break over the holidays. I basically try to give the other guy the benefit of the doubt.

Still, it’s your apartment, and by extension, your rules. I would sit down with her, and offer her a place to stay, provided that she does not engage in any wiccan practices under my roof. Briefly explain to her your position as a Catholic, and how as a Catholic, you are endangering your immortal soul if you permit wiccan/pagan practices, ceremonies, or prayers under your roof. Additionally, explain to her that her reassurances that her religion is a naturalistic one are of no reassurance to you whatsoever. The bottom line is, if you are so inclined, that if you welcome her under your roof for the period of the semester break, she is not to practice these rites under your roof. I’d even go farther and tell her that you expect her to participate in the Morning Prayer or Evening Prayer of Liturgy of the Hours (never pass up a chance to evangelize–LOL!)

The ball’s in her court, then. If she’s willing to leave aside her practices, she’s welcome. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

I would say, no. It doesn’t seem wise to invite someone to stay who will bring witchcraft into your home. We aren’t necessarily Teflon when it comes to whatever “spirits” a witch may surround herself with rubbing off on us. (I’m sure this could be worded more eloquently.)

In my experience schools that close for a month usually help students find a place to stay, often a host family. If not, then the school should be directing her to a community resource (church, etc.)

Do you know if she’s checked with the school? It may sound more fun (and cheaper) to her to crash on your comfy couch.

Not a good idea for her to stay with you. Surely she and her family knew before now that she would not be able to stay in the dorm thru the holiday break. Their lack of preparedness is questionable. If you do let her stay, I wouldn’t worry so much about her occult practices, but be prepared to deal with some drama!

Bryan, whether or not the young lady is your friends girlfriend, you, being unmarried are potentially putting yourself into the occassion of sin by having a female dwelling in your home. With all due respect for your friend and his girlfriend, wiccans are pagans, and as such do not follow the same moral code as we Catholics do.
If saying no to her staying with you means causing a rift with your friend, then he is a mere acquaintance-not a friend. A true friend would never impinge on anothers moral beliefs.

Bryan,

George is right. I didn’t make the connection before because you don’t specifically reveal your gender, but your name should have alerted me.

I second this advice. Even if the girl were a nun, a young unmarried man has no business housing a young unmarried woman in his living room for a month. Period.

She’s your friend’s girlfriend. He should take her home to his family’s house for Christmas. If he refuses to make the offer, or she refuses to accept, there are bigger problems going on behind the scenes which you need to avoid.

Don’t let her stay with you. It’s a very bad idea.

Just a thought…

Why can’t SHE stay at her boyfriend’s house,
and HE move in with YOU for the month ?

I would advise taking any reasonable steps to help this Samaritan, er… I mean… Wiccan. That can take many forms - if it’s buying a bus ticket or arranging alternate living conditions, that works too.

Where did you get that from? And is it true of Hindus/Buddhists/Muslims/Sikhs/Zoroastrians/etc.?

I’d even go farther and tell her that you expect her to participate in the Morning Prayer or Evening Prayer of Liturgy of the Hours (never pass up a chance to evangelize–LOL!)

Um… wow. Wow…

Indeed. For example, a Wiccan may not believe in the corporal works of mercy.

Oh wait… :eek:

Bottom line, if you’re male, and she’s female, it’s not a good idea. Although it will no doubt be perfectly innocent, it might give rise to scandal, which the church advises against.
I had to leave my college dorm room over Christmas break too, and ended up staying in the attic of a family connected to the college. The college may be able to help her find a place, or maybe her BF can give her bus fare home.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.