My girlfriend Genuflected...her Dad is going to hate this!

Hello all.

It has been a while since I posted something about this, but for those of you who don’t know, I am dating a girl who is not Catholic. That is fine with me, as she is a Christian who is looking for a new church, and is open to the possibility of becoming Catholic.

Her father on the other hand, avid Evangelical Catholic hater that he is, has been pretty hot about her being in a relationship with a Roman Catholic from the start.

Well, Kylene and I have been dating for a year, and she knows by now how committed I am to my faith. She has also started going to Mass with me and asking some well thought out questions. I have not been pushing, as I believe that people come to Rome in their own time.

Well, last Sunday, God stepped in. We were at the Palm Sunday mass, and at the end of it when the priest says, “In the name of the father…” she genuflected! This was a first.

We talked about it, and she said that she felt the call to do so. She also said that she was really impressed with the Palm Sunday Mass, and has insisted that we go to Holy Thursday and Good Friday (like I was not going anyway? :whacky: ). In any event, I am still not pushing, but I think that this is a VERY good sign.

We are going down to visit her parents over Easter (naturally I will be attending Mass while they go wherever they go). The question is…will Kylene opt to go with me. Could be one heck of an Easter Sunday.

To all of you that have been praying with me…thanks!

Cheers!

That’s great. Hopefully soon she’ll express a more formal interest in converting. I wish I could say the same. My Jewish girlfriend, while not in any way anti-catholic, has no interest in joining the Church. Although her family is not extremely religious, they are very attached to their Jewish heritage. A lot of this has to do with the fact that her grandmother is a holocaust survivor, and a large portion of her family was murdered. She occasionally goes to mass with me, but it seems as if that will be the extent of it. My concern is that she has mentioned an interest in raising Jewish children if we were to marry.

I’m glad to see it’s working for someone though. Good luck.

[quote=sadie2723]The question is…will Kylene opt to go with me. Could be one heck of an Easter Sunday.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Why not go to the exptant Saturday mass (somewhere) and then attend her parent’s church on Sunday. “Blessed are the Peacemakers.”

Check out the church in their area at masstimes.org/dotNet/churchlookups.aspx

[quote=Fuerza]My concern is that she has mentioned an interest in raising Jewish children if we were to marry.

I’m glad to see it’s working for someone though. Good luck.
[/quote]

I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you could raise them with both religions. Infact, you child would be stronger in his/her Catholic faith if they knew the roots of our faith.

[quote=sadie2723]We are going down to visit her parents over Easter (naturally I will be attending Mass while they go wherever they go). The question is…will Kylene opt to go with me. Could be one heck of an Easter Sunday.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Hi Sadie -

Well, this IS one heck of a nail biter! Will she or won’t she?

Let us in on what happens, please!

Blessings and Happy Easter (To All!)
Subrosa

[quote=dhgray]I wish you the best of luck. Maybe you could raise them with both religions. Infact, you child would be stronger in his/her Catholic faith if they knew the roots of our faith.
[/quote]

I’ve thought of that, but her thought is that once they were baptized they would no longer be Jewish (which I suppose is true). In addition, she knows that her family would take baptizing any children as a slap in the face. All I can do now is pray about it.

The funny thing is that her mother was once in the process of becoming a nun, but converted in order to marry her father.

[quote=dhgray]Why not go to the exptant Saturday mass (somewhere) and then attend her parent’s church on Sunday.
[/quote]

Umm, just as a point of interest, there is no such thing an an “expectant” Saturday Mass for Easter. The only choice would be the Easter Vigil, which is the first Mass of Easter, and must be held at a time which precludes it being confused with the anticipatory Mass of a regular Sunday. After the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday night, that is also the next Mass to be said – none on Good Friday, and none on Holy Saturday until the Vigil.

That being said, what an excellent way to demonstrate to people the scope of the Catholic faith – take them to the Easter Vigil! It would be good to brief the guest attendee on what happens before taking them, though, because to one unfamiliar with the Vigil, it can be a bit overwhelming.

Blessings,

Gerry

when the priest says, “In the name of the father…” she genuflected! This was a first.

Do you mean she made the sign of the cross? or that she got down on one knee?

It does sound like good news!

[quote=Seatuck]Do you mean she made the sign of the cross? or that she got down on one knee?

It does sound like good news!
[/quote]

She just made the sign of the cross…but that is a big step for her.

Brad

Is there Sunrise mass you both could attend? That would be a cool way to start Easter Day, then maybe she could go to church with her family after?

[quote=Gerry Hunter]Umm, just as a point of interest, there is no such thing an an “expectant” Saturday Mass for Easter. The only choice would be the Easter Vigil, which is the first Mass of Easter, and must be held at a time which precludes it being confused with the anticipatory Mass of a regular Sunday. After the Mass of the Lord’s Supper on Holy Thursday night, that is also the next Mass to be said – none on Good Friday, and none on Holy Saturday until the Vigil.
[/quote]

So despite the popular misconception, no particular rites or ceremonies are needed, and any Mass on Saturday evening–Easter Vigil Mass included–will satisfy the obligation for Sunday.

from
jimmyakin.org/sunday_obligation/index.html

So go on Saturday night.

[quote=sadie2723]She just made the sign of the cross…but that is a big step for her.

Brad
[/quote]

ok genuflected means got down on one’s knee in worship.

I’m glad for you. You are apparently doing a great job.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.