My Girlfriend's Pentcostal

I’m just looking for a little guidance. I’ve been in love with this woman for four years now. We dated for awhile four years ago and then she split up with me. I was devastated, but little did I know she’d come back into my life a few later.

Anyways, about three years ago she went from not having any church background at all to becoming deeply involved with a Pentecostal church. I’ve gone to this church with her before. They’re really good people, very devout. Strong in spirit to and I’d say atleast 75% of what the pastor teaches is actually in line with Catholic teaching.

My problem is this. I just agreed to take a step back from this relationship and become friends with my girlfriend again. She says that this must happen because of the personal revealation of God to her that we should do so and in turn she says that God will bless us both. I agreed to this. About a month ago she told me she had another revealation and that was a promise from God that me and her would be married someday. I’m taking all this on faith. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s devoted her life to God even though not in the fullness of Christian tradition.

So I took a leap of faith and gave her my word that I would start reading the Bible and praying fervently and I have been. God’s given me incredible grace. I’ve been praying the rosary two or three times a day. The Holy Spirit descended upon me as I reflected on the sorrowful mysteries today. I guess my question is how do I most tastefully and respectfully introduce the Catholic faith to her in a way that a Pentecostal would be receptive?

Does your parish have a charismatic group that is faithful to the Church? She might be interested in something like that.

[quote=Della]Does your parish have a charismatic group that is faithful to the Church? She might be interested in something like that.
[/quote]

I’m sure they do. I took her to the youth mass at St. Dominic’s in Benicia, CA. When I asked her what she thought she said it was different. She did agree though to go to mass with me again and I’ve continued going to church with her witnessing to the pastor about the authenticity of Catholic teaching and how us Christians need to stick together. I think he thinks I’m crazy, but he likes me.

I’ll bet the Pentecostal pastor thinks you’re crazy! LOL! But, that’s all right. That’s what they said about Jesus, too. :wink: I hope you can help your gf understand what the Church is and how great it would be if she were a full participant in it. You have my prayers, please pray for me.

I will definitely pray for you. God bless you. I’m so in love with this woman. I can’t believe I actually easily agreed to split up with her, but I saw something in her eyes I couldn’t ignore. And her challenge for me to pick up my cross and follow Jesus is changing me in wonderful ways. I’m becoming confirmed in my heart of the truth of the Catholic faith where in the past I was only confirmed in the mind. I’m praying the rosary everyday and praying for her, other loved ones and even my enemies every day. She’s a blessing in my life, I truly want to return the favor to her. I really want to marry her, but even if that never comes to pass my hope and my prayer is that she comes to know the fullness of the Christian faith. :slight_smile:

Locate a copy of dictionary of miracles to share with her.

In protestant traditions, the Holy Spirit stopped working for over 1900 years and suddenly in 1910 came alive again. As I remember the dictionary of miracles lists miracles of saints throughout the centuries. Also, look for some devotional type materials from your tradition on holiness. I seem to remember a book on practicing the presence of God, but I don’t remember its title.

A little warning about the nature of “personal revelations” in protestant pentecostal circles. If the Pastor of her church or elders think that you will not convert to her church, they will tell her to dump you. And, later she reaches the same conclusion that you will not become a protestant pentecostal. She will have a “personal revelation” that confirms their “word of wisdom”.

To me it sounds like she is involved in “missionary dating”.

The I’ll go visit your church if you visit my church is a sure giveaway.

10 Christian Dating Tips for
Effective Missionary Dating

1. If he tells your that you are hot…
    Tell him God made you hot.
  1. If he wants to hold your hand…
    Give him a Bible.
  1. If he tries to get closer…
    Tell him the Holy Spirit is wooing him.
  1. If he asks to pay for dinner…
    Remind him that Jesus also paid a debt He did not owe!
  1. If he reaches his arm around you…
    Tell him that nobody will ever be as close to you as Jesus is.
    (or ask him if you instead could “lay hands” on him in prayer)
  1. If he tries to kiss you…
    Remind him that a kiss killed your Savior.
    (and you’re not ready to “speak in tongues”)
  1. If he asks to come inside…
    Ask him if he has asked Jesus to come inside his heart.
  1. If he tells you he loves you…
    Tell him that Jesus loves him.
  1. If he gets angry that you won’t put out…
    Clarify to him that W.W.J.D. does NOT mean “Who would Jesus Do.”
  1. After you dump him…
    Tell him that Jesus Christ will never leave or forsake him.

datetosave.com/christian_dating_tips.shtml

cafepress.com/datetosave

Calling all Hot Women of the LORD!!!
So, I created this web page for information regarding the calling of Missionary Dating. First of all, it helps that you’re good looking. Romans 12:1 says “to offer your bodies as living sacrifices.” Since our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19), it makes sense that we should use our beautiful bodies to glorify HIS name, the Holy Spirit will work the strongest since He’s in our body, right? That’s the best position to be in!

Not only can we date hot guys (as only hot Christian girls could do), but hopefully we can lead them to God and help them get saved them from the burning fires of Hell. I’ve outlined a few tips to help you get a date off to the right start, step-by-step. Jesus saves through hooking up with cute heathen guys!

datetosave.com/ Note: advoid the fourm there since it has language that will not please our Lord.

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=%22missionary+dating%22+&btnG=Search

I wish I was making this up. It is real.

A dictionary of miracles,
imitative, realistic, and dogmatic,
Ebenezer Cobham Brewer

1966, 1885
English Book xliv, 582 p. illus. 23 cm.
Detroit, Gale Research Co.,
Get This Item
Availability: Check the catalogs in your library.
Libraries worldwide that own item: 643

Find Related
More Like This: Search for versions with same title and author | Advanced options …
Title: A dictionary of miracles,
imitative, realistic, and dogmatic,
Author(s): Brewer, Ebenezer Cobham, 1810-1897.
Publication: Detroit, Gale Research Co.,
Year: 1966, 1885
Description: xliv, 582 p. illus. 23 cm.
Language: English
Standard No: LCCN: 66-29783
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Miracles – Dictionaries.
Note(s): “Chief authorities cited in this book”: p. [xxiv]-xxv.
Class Descriptors: LC: BT97; Dewey: 231/.73/03
Responsibility: by E. Cobham Brewer. Philadelphia, Lippincott [1885].
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19740801
Update: 20060116
Accession No: OCLC: 383774
Database: WorldCat
brightonlibrary.info:2068/WebZ/FSFETCH?fetchtype=fullrecord:sessionid=fsapp6-56053-ekidqtbg-m6iwyu:entitypagenum=5:0:recno=1:resultset=2:format=FI:next=html/record.html:bad=error/badfetch.html:entitytoprecno=1:entitycurrecno=1:numrecs=1

link may expire

look for

Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius of Loyola (HTML at Pitt) The Practice of the Presence of God by Lawrence of the Resurrection
The Way of Perfection by St. Teresa of Avila (HTML at Pitt)
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis (HTML at Pitt)

catholic.net/RCC/Indices/subs/books.html

some of those books are online.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]A little warning about the nature of “personal revelations” in protestant pentecostal circles. If the Pastor of her church or elders think that you will not convert to her church, they will tell her to dump you. And, later she reaches the same conclusion that you will not become a protestant pentecostal. She will have a “personal revelation” that confirms their “word of wisdom”.

To me it sounds like she is involved in “missionary dating”.

The I’ll go visit your church if you visit my church is a sure giveaway.

[/quote]

I tell you why I know this is not “missionary dating”. I’ve known this girl for four years now. I knew her before she was a Christian. Of course she wants me to convert, but that’s not why she got back together with me. I know that for a fact. She got back together with me because she loves me. I know her. She would never have said it if she didn’t mean it. However I am a little bit concerned with the influence of her pastor. However I have faith that my faith and prayer and fasting can transcend these things. For Jesus said, All things are possible with God.

Hi Jimmy, I am simply concerned that if it is missionary dating or if her pastor talks her out of marrying you that you do not loose your faith.

You have my condolences. With different faiths it is always difficult but with fundamentalist protestants who absolutely hate Catholics, you have a major problem.

I would get her a few books about former protestants who converted to Catholicism after they really read up on Catholicism and how it more closely adheres to the Bible than their faiths did. Some of these were Protestant theologians who after extensive research could no longer deny that Catholic was much more in tune with the Bible than their own faiths.

My guess is that IF she can not convert you before you get married, she will probably drop you like a rock. You may want to ask her, would she be willing to allow her children to be bought up Catholic, and would she be able to stay with you if you chose to remain Catholic indefinitely. She is probably hoping to convert you just as you may be hoping to convert her.

Some protestants fully expect ALL Catholics to rot in H*** with out exception, and will treat you as if you are demon possessed. They would be appalled at any suggestion to raise their kids Catholic. BUT as a member of the Church, if you want a Catholic marriage, you must agree to raise your children Catholic even though your spouse may remain Pentacostal.

You need to iron out these things long before you get married. Be prepared for quite a struggle, good luck and God bless you.

We all will be praying for unity of faith between you two.

[quote=Daniel Marsh]We all will be praying for unity of faith between you two.
[/quote]

Well, not quite. You can’t think for one moment that a faithful Catholic wants unity at the cost of his faith? :eek:

Jimmy, you are either going to see your gf become Catholic or she is going to drop you if she is deeply convinced that she has to convert you or not marry you. That is how it is.

Frankly, if I were you, I’d be looking for a faithful Catholic gal instead. They do exist, and you would be much happier, trust me. As a former member of a manipulative sect, such as your gf is involved with, sadly, I know what I’m talking about. :frowning:

Hi Jimmy,

A couple of things I would respectfully disagree on with previous posters, or at least add a caveat.

She will probably not be convinced by anything that is “not in the Bible”, so reading with or giving her a book to read will not be fruitful.

If she is pentecostal, she knows that the man is supposed to be the spiritual head of the household. Ask her if she is confident of her words that God gave her. If she is, **ask her if she will trust those words even if they lead her in a direction she most likely never had foreseen? **

Start laying the groundwork in her mind that God was trying to light a fire under you, but she is the one that needs to become Catholic, not you pentecostal.

And seriously find a charasmatic Church, NOW. Charasmatic Catholics will be able to “speak” the same language. She probably believes that unless you speak in tongues, you have not fully recieved (or recieved at all?) the Holy Spirit. Charasmatic Catholics will better help you to help her see the Chritian truth in the Catholic Church.

God Bless,
Maria

testing

I’m currently in RCIA and also come from a Pentcostal family.Ask her to go to church with you. But do not ask her to leave her church :frowning: Maybe you should ask yourself would you leave the Catholic Church for her???

[quote=answers]I’m currently in RCIA and also come from a Pentcostal family.Ask her to go to church with you. But do not ask her to leave her church :frowning: Maybe you should ask yourself would you leave the Catholic Church for her???
[/quote]

I would never ask her to leave her church, but she has gone to mass with me and has agreed to go again. I go to church with her to and have told her pastor that my faith and his have a lot in common and that me and him are brothers rather than advesaries. I think he was receptive to this. I will try to find a charismatic Catholic mass. Even if she decided to leave me I would never lose my faith.The way I look at it is I love her. I did when I first met her and I always will regardless if I marry her or not My faith has been completely strengthened by her challenge. I’ve been reading the bible and finding it completely congruent with the Catholic faith I profess. She only reads from the King James Version and we’re going to start studying the Bible together. I’m going to note down the verses in the KJV that support Catholic teaching and just introduce her to it in love. I have faith that God’s will will be done and through prayer I know that God can transcend these things for Jesus said, “knock and the door will be opened unto you. Ask and you shall recieve.” :slight_smile:

Hi Jimmy have you read Hosea? I know it is not exactly the same situation, but you may gain some insights from reading it while going through your current situation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.