My grand aunt was a Catholic Sister

I am 76 years old and trying to build my family tree. I knew that my grandmother was Catholic and that she had a sister who was a nun, but I never knew anything at all about her. I have now found the Sister listed in an obituary of her brother. See is listed as Ve. Sister Mary Dechantal, Tipton. (This is in 1945.) Can anyone tell me anything about the abbreviation Ve. Sister? What is her order? And also can anyone tell me about Dechantal? It would mean a lot to me to have these answers. God's blessings on you all.

Do you know your grandmother's maiden name? In the obituary is the sister living or deceased?

'De Chantal' is the name of a Saint Jane Frances de Chantal, who was one of the founders of the Visitation sisters, so it could be a devotion taken when she took a religious name.

My grandmother’s maiden name was Grant. I don’t have the actual obituary, only a record preserved at Browning Genealogy. The record stated my grand uncle (who died 1945) John H Grant had 4 sisters. I know the other three were living so I assume that Sister Mary Dechantal was living also. Her address was given as “Tipton” with no further indication of her situation. Thank you so much for trying to help. Maybe this information will help even more.

[quote="mamastella, post:3, topic:289330"]
My grandmother's maiden name was Grant. I don't have the actual obituary, only a record preserved at Browning Genealogy. The record stated my grand uncle (who died 1945) John H Grant had 4 sisters. I know the other three were living so I assume that Sister Mary Dechantal was living also. Her address was given as "Tipton" with no further indication of her situation. Thank you so much for trying to help. Maybe this information will help even more.

[/quote]

Is this in the US I'm guessing?

Yes. In 1945, my grand uncle and my grandmother were living in Evansville, Indiana. Vanderburg County. They were born in Kentucky, so I’m assuming the Sister was also.
You are so wonderful to be helping.

[quote="mamastella, post:5, topic:289330"]
Yes. In 1945, my grand uncle and my grandmother were living in Evansville, Indiana. Vanderburg County. They were born in Kentucky, so I'm assuming the Sister was also.
You are so wonderful to be helping.

[/quote]

Do you know if she was an active sister or a contemplative nun? The easiest probably way to find more about her is to narrow down her congregation and contact them, they'll have records.

I'm really puzzled by the "Ve." It's not something I've ever heard of before, in religious life or otherwise.

Tipton, Indiana, is the only one I know of that would have had a convent, and it had the Sisters of St Joseph. “Ve” could have denoted her position within the community–visitatrix or something similar. How old was she at her death?

Blessings,
Gemma

Like Gemma the only convent I've found reference to in a Tipton is the Sisters of St. Joseph. It may be worth contacting them.

Thanks for your replies. I'll see what else I can find with the information you have given me. I actually know nothing more about her than I have told you, and I only found that out today. I'm still looking everywhere I can think of for more information for her. I feel compelled to know about her. If I find more, I'll post it here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.