My Grandfather, and His Inspiration

I felt compelled to share this story of faith: I find it very inspiring, and it comes as a great comfort to me when I think of my dearly departed grandfather: years ago, my grandfather died while on the operating table. He was revived after a period, and he told of looking down at his body, the overpowering scent of roses the surgeon and the nurse both remarked upon, a scent he called the Rose of Sharon. My grandfather was a devout, educated man who, as a Pentacostal preacher, had a deep and abiding faith. On the day my grandfather died, this past summer, both of my parents were present. It was an unexpected death from medical complications. When he died, my mother told me she had a brief visit from my grandfather: she told of how she felt my grandfather behind her, and heard his voice say, “It’s the Rose of Sharon again, and it’s beautiful.” I believe that if Heaven exists as I hope it does, then my grandfather is indeed resting with the Heavenly Father he loved so dear. If anyone deserves it, my grandfather does. As I wrote this story, I felt compelled to pray, and so I recited these prayers:

Our Father,
Who Art in Heaven,
Hallowed Be Thy Name,
Thy Kingdom Come,
Thy Will Be Done,
On Earth As It Is In Heaven,
Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread,
And Forgive Us Our Trespasses,
As We Forgive Those Who Trespass Against Us,
And Lead Us Not Into Temptation,
But Deliver Us from All Evil,
Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord Is With Thee,
Blessed Art Thou Among Women,
And Blessed Is the Fruit of Thy Womb Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Pray for Us Sinners,
Now and At the Hour of Our Death,
Amen.

God Bless All Who Now Face The Hour of Their Death,
Christ, Our Father, Have Mercy On Their Souls,
Let Them Accept Your Grace to Save Their Souls,
Through the Blood and Sacrifice of Our Lord, the Heavenly Father.
Through Christ Our Lord, and the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
Amen.

Thank you for sharing something so personal. A beautiful story…

May your grandfather rest in peace.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.