My intant son's upcoming baptism


With the wonderful weather we have been having in Minnesota we have been having trouble getting the family together for my newborn son's baptism. He is going on just over 4 weeks now and had to postpone his baptism and the only opportunity to have the entire family together would be the end of January now.

I feel very uncomfortable with waiting so long. It's been a challenge to get our god parents and the rest of family together on a common date that works. Both sides of our family and the god parents are supportive wonderful people but the logtistics of everyone's life has been a challenge. Some of the family are not Catholic and don't fully accept my reasoning for 'rushing' it along.

I have (not so bluntly but) stated my intentions to move forward sooner then later. I would like to move forward with the baptism privately with a follow up ceramony with everyone at a date that works. I'll be connecting with our priest again later this week but wondered what your thoughts might be. Am I over thinking this or what would you do? I have concerns each day that he has not baptised!?


As long as the godparents can be there, do it. Catholics will understand, and everyone else won't get it anyway :p. My in-laws missed our son's baptism because of a nasty snowstorm, but they understood.


My daughter was baptized this past Sunday (at 4 wks ) and not many people came b/c the weather was so bad and the roads were awful. The godparents made it though!

on a side note my other daughter wasn't baptized till she was 3 mths old b/c I wanted to wait till Lent was over and it wasn't so cold out.


I would do it as soon as the God parents can be there - it is about the child, the God parents, the parents, and God. If everyone else wants to be there they will make it a priority. It is a Sacrament not a convienence for the rest of the family. Good for you.


I have concerns each day that he has not baptised!?

What is it that you fear/ What are your concerns?


[quote="Mel_Stones, post:5, topic:222718"]
What is it that you fear/ What are your concerns?


My fear is if something uneventful/tragic should happen. I woundn't say I am losing a lot of sleep over it but the concern of losing a child not having been baptised. I believe in His love and mercy but also the gift in baptism. It might be a lack of understanding of it overall too.


Baptism is extremely important and not something I would want to delay either. My MIL talks about how in her day, babies were born right in the hospital within a few days of being born. Waiting months to do it and trying to accomodate everyone's schedule is just not going to work out.
When my baby is born, we plan to baptize him or her within a few weeks of the birth and as long as the godparents are there, we will go through with it. My family is in town and can surely be there, but my husband's parents are 4 states away and if they can't make it, I will be sad but I don't want to put off baptising my baby for months because it would be more convenient for them to come in winter and make combination baptism/Christmas visit.


I appreciate that many catholics feel the need to baptise infants as soon as possible, based on the traditionally held belief that only the baptised can enter heaven. I think church understanding of this has evolved somewhat..."The Church entrusts these (unbaptised) infants to the mercy of God"...but a timely baptism is definitely a good idea.

As an alternative viewpoint, though, I think it's great that a child's baptism can be celebrated by extended family and friends. The ceremony is a great witness to the catholic faith, and the involvement of as many family and friends as possible is a source of strength for the parents and God-parents.


CCC 1261 As regards children who have died without Baptism, the Church can only entrust them to the mercy of God, as she does in her funeral rites for them. Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus' tenderness toward children which caused him to say: "Let the children come to me, do not hinder them," allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism. All the more urgent is the Church's call not to prevent little children coming to Christ through the gift of holy Baptism.

I don't recommend putting off Baptism but I don't really think you need to fear. Read catechism 1214-1284 to learn more about Baptism. I assume you have taken some sort of course in preparation for your son's Baptism. Talk to your priest or whoever facilitated your course about your fears. Here's how I see it - Your son is already a member of your biological and extended family by birth; he is joining our Catholic family through Baptism. So celebrate his Baptism ASAP without worry about your biological and extended family. Just have a celebration at a later date when everyone can get together (as you say in your OP). That's my :twocents:


My opinion on the matter is to go ahead with the Baptism whenever you and the godparents are available. Baptism is a sacrament, and it's for your child, not the rest of the extended family. It's nice to have the other family members along to celebrate, but I don't think that delaying the baptism just to have everyone there is necessary. I think that having another celebration for it when everyone can be there is a wonderful idea.


We waited until our daugther was about 3 months old so that my husband's family could come in from out of state. We just had standing orders with both my pastor and my husband's priest that we were calling them both in case of emergency and whoever got their first was to go ahead and baptize our daughter. Needless to say everything went fine and she was healthy and happy and made it the three months. The date we picked was just after Christmas and the celebration of Christ's babptism. My pastor even incorporated her into the sermon.


DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit