My job & life

Please pray for me to get my life straightened out & to accept and do God’s will more cheerfully.

I’ve been without a job for over 3 years… and I haven’t occupied my time at all well during those years. I looked for a job half-heartedly for a year or so. Then I broke my back and was in a brace for 6 months (I ran into a tree; thank God I hurt only myself and my car - and I healed very well). My driver’s license was suspended for a year. Now I have a license but I am doing practically nothing with my time (both without and with the license). I haven’t been studying for a job at all, although I am going to take some classes soon.

I do have a disability (something embarrassing) that caused me to lose my job. But it has only caused temporary problems. It’s hard for me to blame this illness or my other “misfortunes” for the way I’ve been running my life.

The littlest thing has maybe caused me the most grief - the apparent inability I have to clean my house (both clutter and dirt). It makes my home a very disagreeable place to be. I’ve had “cleaning sprees” but very rarely.

Self-discipline, “just do it”, “do it just a little bit at a time”. I hear all these things and “keep trying” to live them, and to do and accept God’s will, and to “take myself lightly”. But I keep doing “what I wanna do”.

It’s obvious that others have far worse problems. I am fortunate that I’ve had enough savings to live without a job (but not forever). I am fortunate that I do (for the most part) have my health.

Your suggestions are most welcome. But most of all I ask for your prayers. Thank you.

Prayers for you. Set some reachable goals and try to stay on track. Whether trying to keep home clean or getting a job, you need to start somewhere that makes sense. Keep us informed…

I’ll most definitely pray for you. I know for me, motivation can be a problem - not because I “can’t do it” or I don’t know what to do, but because I feel as though I am not worthy of doing it or I’m too afraid of failing at it, so I never try - or I procrastinate until it’s too late to do well. Maybe this has something to do with your problem? Whatever the cause is, I’ll definitely pray that the Lord helps you break out of your situation. You’re not alone!

I will pray for you.

Prayer from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

O God, you are the strength of those who hope in you: in your kindness, attend to our prayers.
Weak and mortal, we can achieve nothing without you: always give us your support,
so that we carry out your commandments, pleasing you in both intention and action.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

Praying…

Ask yourself daily what God would want for you.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus
Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the
Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius
Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.
He descended into hell; the third day He
rose again from the dead; He ascended
into heaven, is seated at the right hand of
God the Father Almighty; from thence He
shall come to judge the living and the
dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the
Holy Catholic Church, the communion of
Saints, the forgiveness of sins, the
resurrection of the body, and life
everlasting. Amen.

Lord, please help keep trying to do what his or her name signifies. May he or she keep trying to fulfill Your will. He or she doesn’t have enough work to do in life so life has become burdensome. Get keep trying to Mass tomorrow and every day following - and to confession, if he or she needs to confess anything. May he or she attend eucharistic adoration and deepen his or her prayer life/relationship with You. If praying is something he or she is not used to doing, then maybe he or she could start with only 15 minutes of conversing with You and build on that. But he or she needs Your grace and needs communion with You to get out of this rut he or she is in. Help keep trying to choose You in all things, so life for keep trying can become filled with Your Holy Spirit and he or she will have plenty of good deeds done at the end of each and every day lived. May he or she build his/her life on Your Son, the Rock, so no matter what storms may come, he or she will be firm and saved. Bless keep trying and make him or her into your most loving saint. Amen.

I really like this post…thanks for writing it. I certainly need to follow this too, beautiful and concise…Amen…

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.
:signofcross:

Thanks, Simon X!

[size=]Sometimes we simply need motivation to get started. I pray that God gives you that motivation and helps you press forward in your life.[/size]

I hug you, and ask God to help you to reclaim your strength and life, and to help you to get, and to keep, your life and your home in order.

Thank you everyone for your ideas & prayers!

Broke your back? Ouch! :frowning: I’m so sorry you have been going through such tough times, it’s possible that you just lost some momentum and zest for life when you suffered such a horrible injury. It happens. I hurt my neck several years ago, and didn’t get depressed, per se–but I’d say that because I had to lay in bed for a while, it definitely caused me to lose my smile and zest for life for a time. You might just be feeling off track, because you were injured and it knocked you out of life for a while. Life as you knew it. Give your sorrows to God, and He will bring healing to your life. I will keep you in my prayers. :hug1:

O God, you are the strength of those who hope in you: in your kindness, attend to our prayers.
Weak and mortal, we can achieve nothing without you: always give us your support,
so that we carry out your commandments, pleasing you in both intention and action.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

**Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven. **
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.