My mom 60+yrs troubled about mortality - book suggestions?

My mom has just turned 60 and I am worried about her. She is very depressed and having a hard time coming to terms with her mortality. I can help- but feel that if she found faith in God she would realize that death is not final and that everything will be ok. Does anyone have any ideas of books I could pass on to her, or read myself and try to help her through this tough time? Thanks.

[quote="poggy_k, post:1, topic:220958"]
My mom has just turned 60 and I am worried about her. She is very depressed and having a hard time coming to terms with her mortality. I can help- but feel that if she found faith in God she would realize that death is not final and that everything will be ok. Does anyone have any ideas of books I could pass on to her, or read myself and try to help her through this tough time? Thanks.

[/quote]

PRAYER AND OUR BODIES, Flora Slosson Wuellner

Essentially how we can use even the suffering of our human bodies in prayer, for our bodies unite us to GOD, and even though we go into death, our bodies will be restored to us in Heaven.

(May be out of print; wouldn't know)

God Bless and ICXC NIKA

The Holy Bible

I second the Bible, starting with the New Testament. Of course people without faith in God are terrified of death, it really is terrifying if you don't believe.
Another good book might be "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Heaven," by Peter Kreeft.
Actually, it's frightening enough even if you do believe. It's going to a new place where you don't know what to expect, sort of like travelling to a foreign country would be. I expect that's why people always report that loved ones are there to meet them.

[quote="Viki63, post:4, topic:220958"]
I second the Bible, starting with the New Testament. Of course people without faith in God are terrified of death, it really is terrifying if you don't believe.
Another good book might be "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Heaven," by Peter Kreeft.
Actually, it's frightening enough even if you do believe. It's going to a new place where you don't know what to expect, sort of like travelling to a foreign country would be. I expect that's why people always report that loved ones are there to meet them.

[/quote]

I take it you meant near-death experiences...I haven't heard that anyone has texted back from Heaven to let us know who was in the receiving line...

:D

That’s because they don’t have their phone with them; no one is there to place it in their Heavenly hand.

“Shucks, I left my Iphone in the hand of my other body!!!”
:):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA!

[quote="GEddie, post:6, topic:220958"]
That's because they don't have their phone with them; no one is there to place it in their Heavenly hand.

"Shucks, I left my Iphone in the hand of my other body!!!"
:):):)

ICXC NIKA!

[/quote]

Yeah, and no purses or pockets to keep it in either!

:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.