My mom and step dad kicked me out of the house is this a sin

my mom and step dad kicked me out of the house because of my anger problem this moring is it a sin

[quote="avemaria2010, post:1, topic:230258"]
my mom and step dad kicked me out of the house because of my anger problem this moring is it a sin

[/quote]

how old are you? do you have somewhere to stay? If you are younger than 18, it is illegal for them to kick you out in most countries.

Are you ok?

Morgan, your behavior towards your parents may very well be sinful. The cycle of the Church is going through the book of Sirach now, maybe try meditating on Sirach chapter 3 to calm down before discussing the situation with them. Good luck.

[/quote]

I find this an interesting question...What are you asking....
Is your anger a sin?
or their kicking you out a sin?

Your anger problem is definitely a sin!

As to whether their kicking you out is a sin can depend on a number of factors that you have not shared with us here.

It may well be that you need to be looking more closely at your problem than at their action.

It may well be that the path home is open and clear, but includes sorrow and repentance on your part along with getting control over your anger and possibly even getting professional help.

Peace
James

What'd they ask you to do?

Get up out of the bed they bought for you, in the home they provided?

Get dressed, in the cloths they provided for you?

Go to school, get an educated mind with the tax dollars they paid for you?
Eat the food they provided for you?
Take the car to school, that they paid insurance on?

can't answer, we don't know the rest of the story. What does anger issue mean? if you were a threat to family members, yes they may have done the right thing. If you refuse to get help with whatever the issue is, yes they may be doing the right thing.

i am 18 and i swear and cry and scream because my mom treats me treats me like a baby and i want to know if my mom and step dad are sinning by kicking me out of the house

[quote="avemaria2010, post:7, topic:230258"]
i am 18 and i swear and cry and scream because my mom treats me treats me like a baby and i want to know if my mom and step dad are sinning by kicking me out of the house

[/quote]

well if you act like a baby it is quite likely you will be treated like one

and in my family when you turn 18 you are expected to leave and either go to school, into the military, into some full time volunteer service, or get a job, and otherwise, leave home, so no your parents are not sinning, they are fulfilling their God-given duty.

what kind of help has been offered you to overcome your behavior problems, and have you taken advantage of it?

[/quote]

If you cry and scream, your mom is correct.
You do act like a baby. Yet now you're 18 yrs old.
Your parents don't have to tolerate such disrespect and immaturity.

[/quote]

You haven't posted the full story, nor have you given much detail so I can't tell you much. Do you have a chronological anger problem of some sort? Stress? Give me something to work with.

[/quote]

You're an adult. If your way of communicating even a valid complaint is to swear, cry, and scream, then your parents or any Christian community might expel you, as they have a right to be treated with respect and to live in peace.

You weren't kicked out because of your "problem." You were kicked out for choosing to be abusive. The truth is, if your parents were to continue to tolerate the sinful habit of using your anger as an excuse for attacking others, they might be guilty of encouraging your sin to continue. This is particularly true if you show no contrition for your behavior. It may be more of a fault than a sin, as habit may have hardened so that to choose to act otherwise is extremely difficult, but that is not the point. The habit cannot be tolerated. It is harmful to your soul, not just your parents' need for peace in their home.

It would be with great sadness, but if one of my children did the same at your age and defended rather than repented of his behavior, I might not have any choice but to insist that he find another place to live. Otherwise, there would be no incentive for him to change.

Sorry. The ball's in your court, not your mom's.

[/quote]

Based on the little information you have given, it does not appear that your parents are in the wrong. They were obligated to provide material care for you as long as you were a minor. They are also obligated to provide discipline and to set limits on your behavior. You are obligated to give them respect and obedience.

At 18, swearing crying and screaming seems inappropriate to almost any situation and especially so if directed at your mother. Is there some counseling you can look into to help with the emotional outbreaks as well as helping your home situation?

You are an adult.
Your parents have no legal obligation to provide for you.
You have an obligation to support yourself if able.
If you are unable to support yourself you should be grateful and show it to those who are willing to provide for you.

My parents gave us three options, with one over-riding caveat, when we hit 18:
1. Go to college full time, could stay at home and parents provide food
2. Get a full time job, pay rent and buy own food.
3. Get out. But come back to visit, the occasional sunday dinner, and do laundry occasionally.

Over-riding caveat. Their house, their rules, we owed them respect and if that was too hard, see option 3.

Based on the limited information given, I have to agree with other posters.

If you're an adult and your behaviour is abusive to your parents, then it is not a sin for them to ask you to leave.

However, I would take a look at your own behaviour before you throw stones.

If you have a stepdad, then that means that you’ve:

a. witnessed divorce between your birth parents
b. have been raised by your step-father
c. had to recently adjust to your step-father
d. have had little contact with your birth father (i.e. weekends)

This would be very hard for you to go through. I’m sure you have a lot of anger and resentment towards your mother bc of this.

People are telling you that you are acting like a child…but did you know what fear is? It’s a reaction to another deeper emotion. Anger is manifested fear.

Maybe you fear deep down that your mother will abandon you or that you are afraid of being close to her for whatever reason, so you push her away by abusing her. There are so many issues and the symptom is your anger, crying and having temper tantrums.

Your mother loves you very much and she didn’t want to kick you out, but she cannot live with the abuse anymore. She wants you to grow up a bit an realize that you are a capable woman.

You probably have a lot of issues on your plate and perhaps you and your mother can go to counselling together. Mention it to her and see what she thinks.

[/quote]

No, they have the right to protect themselves, if you are posing a danger to them with your anger.

I am 18 and i swear and cry and scream because my mom treats me treats me like a baby and i want to know if my mom and step dad are sinning by kicking me out of the house.

Nope - and if you treat a landlord or a friend who lets you live with them like that, they will also kick you out. Get control of your anger, and grow up. Learn to see things from the other person's point of view. If you make it difficult for people to come home to their own house that they paid for, you will be asked to leave, and it is right for them to do that, for their own safety and health, which is more important to them than yours.

If you want safety and good health for yourself, then you need to become easy to live with, by becoming kind, patient, and generous, and by working for your own money and paying your own way. Don't make other people have to pay your bills, or have to put up with bad behaviour from you.

[/quote]

It is YOUR anger problem that is the issue.
Adults are not to treat one another the way you do.

Your initial post in Meet and Greet admitted that you have a problem with anger, and other follow-up posts revealed the same tendency. What I don't understand is how your parents kicked you out when you are in a wheelchair? It seems like a threat, rather than reality, since you apparently don't drive and are not able to care for yourself on your own.

With that being the case, and the comment that you are treated like a baby, it seems like you are resentful of your situation and all that your parents do for you. Maybe you crave independence, but anger gets the best of your efforts to do for yourself. Just guessing here. That is no excuse. If Pope Benedict came into your room, I'll bet you could control your speech real quick. ;) No doubt your parents have been tolerating this disrespect for a long time, and finally put their foot down to stop it.

Some of your posts reveal a tendency toward living a devout life. Humbly thank your parents for correcting you, and ask them to help you overcome this. It may need some old fashioned soap in the mouth, but a few of these disciplines may really help you. Resolve each morning in your prayers to overcome this habit and apply a penance to yourself each time you fail to keep it.

[quote="Sirach2, post:18, topic:230258"]
Your initial post in Meet and Greet admitted that you have a problem with anger, and other follow-up posts revealed the same tendency. What I don't understand is how your parents kicked you out when you are in a wheelchair? It seems like a threat, rather than reality, since you apparently don't drive and are not able to care for yourself on your own.

With that being the case, and the comment that you are treated like a baby, it seems like you are resentful of your situation and all that your parents do for you. Maybe you crave independence, but anger gets the best of your efforts to do for yourself. Just guessing here. That is no excuse. If Pope Benedict came into your room, I'll bet you could control your speech real quick. ;) No doubt your parents have been tolerating this disrespect for a long time, and finally put their foot down to stop it.

Some of your posts reveal a tendency toward living a devout life. Humbly thank your parents for correcting you, and ask them to help you overcome this. It may need some old fashioned soap in the mouth, but a few of these disciplines may really help you. Resolve each morning in your prayers to overcome this habit and apply a penance to yourself each time you fail to keep it.

[/quote]

This is great advice. Also I think counselling with your mom would be great too.

You are in a wheelchair? Is it permanent? How are you coping?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.