My moral problem with the Olympics

. . . . isn’t with the costumes, which have come in for criticism here. My issue is that the Olympics surround impressionable young athletes with a drenching atmosphere of alcohol, drugs, parties, literally tens of thousands of condoms (that number is always publicized before every Olympics), and in general - outside the individual competitions and behind the cameras - basically a bacchanal of physicality, sleeping around, parties, and self-indulgence. Back in my day much of this would have been called “contributing to the delinquency of minors.” (And yes, I realize that a number of the competitors are technically “adults” - like 32-year-old Ryan Lochte, a fine specimen of responsible manhood.)

Or: have I just become a dried-up old prune in thinking like this?

1 Like

Um, what are your thoughts on college then? :shrug:

“Back in my day”

There were lines of dudes that literally wrapped around Hawaiian islands to the whore houses

My grandfather once said he didn’t get what kids do on haloween stating that back in the day there was never any damage done.

A quick search revealed the most damage ever done on halloween was when he was a kid in the 1930s

The difference between “back in my day” and today is twofold.

1. Media coverage/availability

2. People lied more, now sinners just don’t lie about it.

It isnt what the olympics do, this is what these people were doing are doing and will be doing regardless of the olympics.

There was a girl from my area who became famous and developed bad party habits. Other than her diverting into “too much” after pressure due to her first notable partying and her access to money… she was before going full “rich party girl” partying exactly like every girl I knew from the area.

The only diff she was famous. And if she wasn’t accosted for it I still wonder if she would have gone off the rails as she eventually did :frowning: lol but people pick and choose. 90% of the people saying she sucked were doing the same stuff but they like their innocent child actresses to stay disney lol.

The rules vary from team to team, but there are common guidelines. Alcohol is, often, only allowed after an athete has completed his or her competition. Drugs are banned, and there are very few athletes who use drugs. Parties mostly involve only the athletes who are being celebrated.

Do athletes sleep around? Probably. But I think there is no harm in embracing those desires and acting upon them (with mutual consent ofcourse). In fact, I think it’s a positive thing, although I realise many people here probably think otherwise.

I have to agree. Handing out condoms is morally wrong.

I’m not much into sports, myself, but it in no way surprises me that high-body performance and high sexuality go together, nor that young people don’t always behave in an exemplary manner.

The modern Olympics aren’t about that, anymore, if (even in 1896) they ever were. They are a venue for nationalism to be transferred, briefly, to the playing field.

The competitors should be expected to embody the values of the nations they come from. That works both ways.

ICXC NIKA

I am sure this is the case for many athletes who go to the Olympics, however I’d caution against assuming that ALL of them act the same way.

Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles are both Catholics and vocal about their faith. Of course being a Catholic by itself doesn’t rule out anything, but somehow I doubt they acted the same way Ryan Lochte did after they were done with their competitions.

Many of the athletes are married, have kids, actually hold down day jobs. Are you actually suggesting all of them are guilty of doing drugs and committing adultery?

Just as not all college students use drugs, or get drunk and fornicate every weekend. I am sure many athletes did sin in Rio but I think it’s quite uncharitable to paint all of them with the same broad brush.

My moral problem is the amount of money needed to put on the Olympics and the poverty existing in the host countries.

Especially since the Games have never made a profit since the 1900s, and from all indications, this one won’t, either.

ICXC NIKA

It doesn’t matter whether they make a profit, the money spent on construction for all the events and housing for athletes and coaches is staggering.

Why didn’t someone tell me about this. I would have trained harder.

I hear what you are saying.
I don’t think the distributing condoms thing is a good idea.At the same time though,what needs to come into it too is personal responsibility.
The athletes who choose to jeopardise their (or their teams) hard work and results by taking drugs or sleeping with other athletes etc would have done this in any other party atmosphere too.

Regarding impressionability- This more relates to children (teens).
I personally don’t think the Olympics should be open to anyone under the age of 18.
I think they should have a seperate Olympics for minors-junior Olympics/child Olympics.
Kids shouldn’t be mixing in the atmosphere of adults ( in my view).

Yep, distributing condoms is also common in many high schools, yet many stats show that high school students are actually having LESS sex than, say, 10 years ago.

Regarding impressionability- This more relates to children (teens).
I personally don’t think the Olympics should be open to anyone under the age of 18.
I think they should have a seperate Olympics for minors-junior Olympics/child Olympics.
Kids shouldn’t be mixing in the atmosphere of adults ( in my view).

At least we no longer have 9 and 10 year old girls competing as “women” in gymnastics competitions, as was considered acceptable in the 1990s. Of course there are always whispers about the Chinese gymnasts being younger than claimed, but none of them appeared to be 9 years old this time around.

Of course, there is some truth behind the stereotype of the pampered athlete who indulges in sex, drugs, alcohol, etc. But that doesn’t mean it’s charitable to assume every member of Team USA is the moral equivalent of Ryan Lochte.

I remember reading a news article about what the athletes do in the Olympic villages, and this reporter basically asked what people expect to happen when they house lots of young people, who are all physically fit, together for a short period of time…of course they are going to party and sleep around a lot.

Yeah, those awful reprobate athletes like Usain Bolt, Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky. :rolleyes:

I assume that was sarcasm - Usain Bolt is actually a Catholic, right?

I guess you agree with me that it’s unfair to label all athletes as “reprobate” based on the actions of those such as Ryan Lochte. Of course many fit the stereotype but certainly not all.

I also doubt the chadored Muslim women athletes were among the ones indulging in alcohol and sex. Though you could argue “well they must have been strictly chaperoned” and they probably were.

But there is still an element of personal responsibility and the athletes who did sin are ultimately responsible for that.

You assume correctly. That’s what the :rolleyes: was for. I in fact edited my post to include two additional names as well.

Bolt is not only Catholic, he is also devout, and has taken the Olympics as an opportunity to express his faith.

I guess you agree with me that it’s unfair to label all athletes as “reprobate” based on the actions of those such as Ryan Lochte. Of course many fit the stereotype but certainly not all.

Correct as well.

I could be wrong but…I just saw a video of Bolt and a girl grinding at a nightclub in Rio on twitter. It looked so sexual, I had to stop watching. Not that devout lol :frowning:

I agree the reasons you express are good ones to dislike the Olympics. I’d add that it is also a graft scheme. It is wasteful since the venues will mostly fall into disuse after the two weeks of competition. The athletes are not amateurs in any sense of the word. And many of the athletes train in the US so the idea they represent a country is a bit skewed.

That is another reason I dislike them. They are designed to further nationalism which is a bad thing.

I think it is worse. There is a picture of the engaged Bolt apparently in bed with a girl.

I think that is why the olympics are not as popular as they once were, opening it to professionals ruined the whole thing. I just heard on the news other night, they are actually cancelling some events due to such poor ticket sales, and the few times I have watched certain events, there were many empty seats, even front row seats.

Id love to understand why they thought it was such a great idea to let professionals take part, when the whole idea behind the olympics was that all the people were amateurs!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.