My Mother Wears Combat Boots

My wife and I purchased a new home in a developing neighborhood about a year ago. Lately, we’ve noticed a lot JW’s and LDS going around the neighborhood knocking on doors (somehow they’ve managed to avoid any street fights with each other. Just kidding. :D) Yet for some reason no visits by either of them at our house, even though my wife is a SAHM. In fact, just yesterday my wife noticed a group of JWs canvassing the neighborhood and systematically ringing every doorbell on our street, yet for some reason when they came upon our house they would not approach it.

Now you might be thinking, “Does IanS keep a rabid Pit Bull chained up outside his front door?” Oh no, no, no, it would take more than that to scare them. However, we do keep a powerful “holy reminder” of who and what we are; it’s a beautiful statue of the Blessed Mother. I would encourage all Catholics to do this. It reminds you and all visitors that your home is truely a Domestic Church.

It’s sad, but our neighborhood is very young and trendy and we are the only ones I’ve seen with anything “Catholic” looking around their house and I know there are many other Catholics living here besides us.

I posted this under Apologetics because I think it is just one other tool we can use to profess our faith to others. Apparently, it also makes for good JW/LDS repellent. The funny thing is, we are probably the only ones in the neighborhood who would welcome them to come and talk to us. Who knows, maybe we could plant a seed that would grow and bring them home to Rome someday.

So do any of you have something like this at your home? Have you noticed the same thing?

Awesome Idea :thumbsup:

Very observant!

I, too, am a SAHM and have often observed the very same scenario in our neighborhood. I have peered out my window on a number of mornings to see car loads of JW or a pair of LDS on bikes canvassing our street, yet not ONE has ever darkened my door! Actually, for a time I was bit upset about it as I always looked forward to the impending exchange. I wondered myself what it was that kept them from my front door. I do not have any statuary in my yard, nor are any of our Catholic-specific identifiers visable from the street. My only thought is that my SUV has a pro-life bumper sticker. Hmmm? In any case, I have come to the peaceful understanding that I must be protected in some way.

It really is odd, though.

We don’t have a “blue bathtub” with the BVM in it, but when the JW knock on the door, I fling it open, smile real big, and say, “Welcome! Glad to see you. Come right in and sit a while. How about a pot of coffee? Do you prefer tea? This is friendly territory. This is a house that witnesses to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We’re CATHOLIC!”

Vroom! can’t see 'em leave for the dust.

Haven’t quite gotten to the “blue bathtub” point yet. Actually, our statue is quite neutral. However, if they ever did get past BVM statue and come in, they would also be faced with a “Good Shepherd” Jesus statue, a large Byzantine crucifix, a painting of Mary kissing Baby Jesus, a painting of the Last Supper, and a San Domino crucifix before they even got 10 feet inside the door. We are also looking at St. Michael icon plaque to hang in the foyer. At that point they would probably just curl up on the floor, shut down, and have to be carried out.

Can’t argue with success!

Thanks for sharing, IanS, and keep up the Lord’s work.

what’s a SAHM?

[quote=CollegeKid]what’s a SAHM?
[/quote]

my thoughts exactly

[quote=CollegeKid]what’s a SAHM?
[/quote]

I believe it means Stay At Home Mother.

I have an Infant of Prague statue outside of my house. You have to get up by the porch to see it. The JW’s never knock on my door anymore. They just leave a book in the door, even if I’m home. (Sneaky JW’s. I never hear them.) Maybe that’s why. :rotfl: I’ve been wondering where they went.

TinaK

[quote=TinaK]I have an Infant of Prague statue outside of my house. You have to get up by the porch to see it. The JW’s never knock on my door anymore. They just leave a book in the door, even if I’m home. (Sneaky JW’s. I never hear them.) Maybe that’s why. :rotfl: I’ve been wondering where they went.

TinaK
[/quote]

Infant of Prague! Wow, I’m impressed! :thumbsup: If I may be so bold to say this TinaK, I think it may be time for you to hop aboard the Queen Mary and float on over to Rome. If ya know what I mean. :wink:

that’s a great story. my friend has no shuch luck though. she’s got a statue of Mary in her yard, a pro life licens tag, a bush chany bumper sticker and a bumper sticker with a picture of the monstrance on it that says “I believe” on it. and the JW’s can’t get enough of her. they are ALWAYS comming over. she has a scapular on and the other day, a couple of ladies dropped by and one of the women kept eyeing her scapuler, so my friend told her about it and she says, “Oh, why are you worshiping idles???” she wnet into a long rant about that. I think around here, catholics are targeted.

this is slightly off the subject, but I thought it was funny to share. my friend was blessed to be visited by an annointed JW. this woman who had asked her about the scapular said she recieved a vision from jahovah god that she is one of the 144,000 going to heave! she told Kelli (My friend) that if she comes to the truth, she won’t go to heaven, but she will inharit the earth! :rotfl: :rotfl: I think she needs to go back to whitnessing school. that’s not a very affected method. (note the sarcasim!) anyway, just thought I would share.

[quote=mercygate]We don’t have a “blue bathtub” with the BVM in it, but when the JW knock on the door, I fling it open, smile real big, and say, “Welcome! Glad to see you. Come right in and sit a while. How about a pot of coffee? Do you prefer tea? This is friendly territory. This is a house that witnesses to Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We’re CATHOLIC!”

Vroom! can’t see 'em leave for the dust.
[/quote]

Ya know, something similar happened to me. The JW’s used to visit our house quite often. Then a few years ago, when they knocked, and they tried to hand me the “Watchtower”, I said back in a hurry, “Wow, you guys got to convert to Catholicism right away, cause you’re in big trouble.” Well, they literally ran away, turned back, and looked back at me and said “we are christrians too you know”, and kept on running.

I haven’t seen them knocking on my door since???:confused:

Chipper

Yeah, they come into our neighborhood in the summer on Saturday mornings. The last time they came to the door DH answered. They said their names, and DH said “We have a new pope!” They left. I looked at DH and said we needed to put a statue out in the front yard, and they would stop coming. Glad to hear from others that it really works.

DH hates the bathtub thing though. Too tacky.

I remember one Sunday when our pastor siad in his homily that we should be Christians in every part of out lives, so when people walk into our home they know we are Christians. My husband and I walked into our home that night and talked about all the things in our home that siad “Christian”. Our big Iron Cross hanging in our entryway, our little picyure of the holy family down the hall a bit, our picture of Jesus walking and laughing with Children in the hall near the bedroom…We laughed and siad, Yep there is no denying it!

What bathtub thing are you talking about?

flickr.com/photos/nordensved/sets/383462/

never mind I found these picks on a search engine and it explains it…

[quote=beckyann2597]flickr.com/photos/nordensved/sets/383462/

never mind I found these picks on a search engine and it explains it…
[/quote]

Based on my in-depth, state-of-the-art research (Google), I believe the appropriate term is “Grotto Statue”. Thanks for the link.

Sorry, but a bathtub does not a grotto make. We had a church that spent big bucks building a grotto. It is like the difference between having majestic lions at your entranceway, vs. a plastic lawn gnome.

:thumbsup::smiley:

Cool!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.