My neighbor

has an apple tree. I look at the apples and wonder if they're any good. What if one dropped in my backyard? If I ate it would I be stealing? :confused:

SINNER!!! LOL!

I don’t think you would be stealing FWIW

[quote="Lucky_Scrunchy, post:1, topic:247119"]
has an apple tree. I look at the apples and wonder if they're any good. What if one dropped in my backyard? If I ate it would I be stealing? :confused:

[/quote]

Don't eat fruit that's fallen to the ground. You don't know how long it's been there, nor do you know what's been snuffling around it already. :)

Rather than worry about stealing, why not simply ask your neighbor if it would be Okay for you to pick a few apples? I can't imagine they'd refuse, but if they do you should pray for their mean, mean little soul. And then chuck all of the fallen apples back over the fence into their orchard. If they can't find it in themselves to share a few apples, they can have all of them.

And if they say yes, make them a loaf of apple spice bread to say thanks.

You: Hey neighbor, those apples look really good.

Neighbor: Oh yes they are. Would you like some?

My mom had an apple tree, and the apples were inedible. Very sour and meally. The squirrels would eat them.

Maybe it's the same with your neighbor's tree?

same with our apple tree

I believe it would be fine (by law) if you were to pick the apples that were hanging over your side of the fence, or your side of the property, and of course those that have fallen to the ground on your side of the property.

But you can always ask your neighbor if you can have some. I can't even imagine them not wanting to share them. That's one of the perks of raising your own food :D

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:4, topic:247119"]

My mom had an apple tree, and the apples were inedible. Very sour and meally. The squirrels would eat them.

[/quote]

I never get to the peaches we grow...the my cow and the deer eat them, so I wouldn't know. Apparently they're good enough for them. But the pear tree produces like it's nobody's business :p my cow gets her fill and there's still baskets full to pick. I hear there's an apple tree on our property but I haven't seen any apples. Probably the same as the peaches: everyone else eats them. We have tons of brambles...but the risk of snake bite totally uninspires me to go pick them. And we have a mulberry tree that the cow loves. I should go check on that tree :rolleyes:

Legally any Apple that falls on your property would be yours.

Does your neighbor come over on your property to pick the overhanging branches?

The answer to your question really lies within the relationship you have with your neighbor about the tree and the apples.
If your neighbor is very poor and relies on the apples to help feed his family, you should not eat them.
If your neighbor has received permission from you to gather the apples that fall in your yard, you should not eat them.
If you are just as poor as your neighbor, and you have no agreement with him regarding the apples in your yard, then you may eat them…
We could likely come up with several more possible scenario’s.

You see - whether it is a sin depends on the relationship between you and your neighbor so "Do unto you neighbor as you would have him do unto you, because we are commanded to Love our neighbor as ourselves.

Peace
James

[quote="Rence, post:7, topic:247119"]
. And we have a mulberry tree that the cow loves. I should go check on that tree :rolleyes:

[/quote]

DO NOT EAT fallen mullberries. :eek: They have a very quick fermntation point. Infact the wildlife birds/squirrels and my dog used to get drunk off of them. Hysterical, though my poor dog had such a hangover.

Wow!! A plethera of possibilities!!! LOL :D You guys are really smart, thank you for sharing your guidance with me.

I have a peach tree that probably sheds peaches in their backyard. I would love it they took them and ate them. Anyway, thanks everybody.

I sure love the idea of Apple Spice Bread. i don't suppose you could share your receipe? :dancing:

I don't know what the laws are where you live, but here we have the legal right to trim any trees that overhang into our back yard. I know this because I checked.:D I would guess the apple hanging over your yard are likely ok. Doesn't hurt to ask though if you are uncomfortable though.

If they are hanging over on your side, I would think they are yours.

We've cut roses that have grown through the fence and I know the neighbours have taken squash that grew through my fence to their side. I have grape vines that grew over the fence and they (on the other side) eat the grapes. They could just as easily cut the vines, either way I have no problem with it.

f you have to reach over to get the fruit, that is another story. Most home gardeners have no problem sharing their produce - it is often a source of pride for them and they are happy to share and brag about how wonderful it is.

[quote="Rence, post:7, topic:247119"]
I never get to the peaches we grow...the my cow and the deer eat them, so I wouldn't know. Apparently they're good enough for them. But the pear tree produces like it's nobody's business :p my cow gets her fill and there's still baskets full to pick. I hear there's an apple tree on our property but I haven't seen any apples. Probably the same as the peaches: everyone else eats them. We have tons of brambles...but the risk of snake bite totally uninspires me to go pick them. And we have a mulberry tree that the cow loves. I should go check on that tree :rolleyes:

[/quote]

Funny, my dad's cows liked pears too. They would rub up against the tree, and the pears would fall. Happy cows. (even if they weren't in California :D)

[quote="Mary_Gail_36, post:4, topic:247119"]

[/quote]

My family had two large apple trees growing up......

Sour apples are actually best for baking with not eating,....Just an FYI.

DO NOT eat ones that have fallen on the ground

Also, they go throuh cycles of bumper crop years, lean years, and normal years.....in Normal and Bumper years we would have paid people to come take the apples we had so many. Chances are if you ask they would be happy to let you pick the tree.

What is this phobia about eating fallen apples?

We did as kids, AND we gathered up the fallen apples to be cut up and canned or frozen for use latter. None of us died from it...A quick wash at the pump or under a faucet, a quick pocket knife to cut it up and remove any rotten spots or worm holes and "bingo" you were in business...

As to the "sour apples", Alix is exactly right about the more sour, or tart are better for baking. My dad had three varieties, Jonathan, Wealthy and Winesap. The Jonathan and Wealthy were best fresh eaten, but the Winesap kept the best and the longest (we use to store them in the basement next to the furnace) and also held up the best in baking and had a great flavor in pies.

So - in regards to apples being "inedible" it may just be that you are eating them in the wrong way. :D

Peace
James

[quote="purplesunshine, post:9, topic:247119"]
DO NOT EAT fallen mullberries. :eek: They have a very quick fermntation point. Infact the wildlife birds/squirrels and my dog used to get drunk off of them. Hysterical, though my poor dog had such a hangover.

[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn from this forum. ;)

I think everyone covered the bases here. Let us know how it goes with the neighbor.

[quote="Siochan_Leat, post:16, topic:247119"]
It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn from this forum. ;)

[/quote]

I learned that a very silly dog who consumes everything in reach, who has partaken in a large number of said berries CANNOT climb the stairs. I had to carry her up to cases of winding stairs.

Then she nearly fell back down trying to get to her water dish.:rolleyes:

She wandered around knocking into things. before laying down on her side with a large exhale. when she woke she climbed on the couch and stuck her head under the pillows and stayed there for most of the next day.

[quote="Alix1912, post:14, topic:247119"]
DO NOT eat ones that have fallen on the ground

[/quote]

[quote="JRKH, post:15, topic:247119"]
What is this phobia about eating fallen apples?

[/quote]

[quote="karow, post:3, topic:247119"]
Don't eat fruit that's fallen to the ground. You don't know how long it's been there, nor do you know what's been snuffling around it already. .

[/quote]

Freshly fallen apples are fine to eat. You just wash them, cut off the bruised part, and eat, bake, can, etc. We did it all the time when I was a kid. I've survived! Talk to your neighbor if it's OK to pick some. If one happened to fall, it would be yours. Imagine if you had to mow....you would not just mow over it - you would pick it up!

My neighbor has one of those awful weeping willow trees that "leaks" branches onto my yard. The previous owner routinely trimmed the tree all the way around twice a year. The new owner only trims his side, so I end up having to trim this god-awful tree several times a summer. (I then kindly and neatly place all trimmings under the tree, so he has to dispose of them, although I am sure he does not notice the extra branches, since he never picks up any of this own fallen branches.). I just give back!

I willingly give away a lot of our fruit as I don't want it to go to waste and I can't use it all. I bet if you asked, your neighbor might feel the same way. Especially if you are willing to pick them! Trust me, its not fun when you have a lot to pick and having help is awesome!!

Do you ever see him or her picking the apples? If they sit, then its better you get them then they go to waste!

[quote="Catholic90, post:18, topic:247119"]
Freshly fallen apples are fine to eat. You just wash them, cut off the bruised part, and eat, bake, can, etc. We did it all the time when I was a kid. I've survived! Talk to your neighbor if it's OK to pick some. If one happened to fall, it would be yours. Imagine if you had to mow....you would not just mow over it - you would pick it up!

[/quote]

They should be freshly fallen +/- a day. So if you're keeping track, than I'd eat them. But if you're in a hot southern climate I'd be more careful. There's alot of bugs. It's probably fine in the northern part of the US.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.