My new priest wants me to be recieved in the Church later

Hello,
After Mass today at my home parish, I asked my new priest a question if my baptism was valid and he said yes, but he was asking if I'm in any program to come into a Church and I mentioned yes I was, and since I'm a member of this Parish for some reason he does not want me to be confirmed this year, and maybe not even receive the sacraments untill next year. I waited so long to become a Catholic and now my priest is throwing it all away and even contacting my CCD instructor to let her know. I really don't find it fair that I have to wait about 2 more years just to become Catholic. I have studied for so long and have been doing these classes for 6 months and most of the kids are preparing to come into the Church, but for some reason he wants me to start over. I'm really coming to the point where I'm just going to leave the Church and I just don't know what to do. Can anybody give me advice please?

God Bless,
BVMFatima

I am very confused, so before I can offer any advice, I need you to clarify some things.

Were you baptized a Catholic or in a protestant denomination?

Are you in RCIA or are you just taking CCD (faith formation classes)?

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:2, topic:314843"]
I am very confused, so before I can offer any advice, I need you to clarify some things.

Were you baptized a Catholic or in a protestant denomination?

Are you in RCIA or are you just taking CCD (faith formation classes)?

[/quote]

I was baptized a Protestant, and I'm in CCD. I was put in CCD from my religious class instructor to be received into the Church.

Your priest knows you and we don't, so he's in a better position to discern your readiness than any Internet strangers.

Did he give you a reason for delaying? Did you ask?

I can only tell you that before someone is baptized or received into the Church, they must be ready. It's not an automatic thing that happens after you've been in RCIA for a certain length of time but is based on each individual.

I would suggest that you have a longer conversation with your priest and ask him what he's looking for before he would think you're ready for the sacraments.

So your new priest is wanting for you to wait until Easter of 2014, am I correct in that? Basically a year from now?

Did your pastor tell you why he feels you need another year? If not, did you ask him? If you haven't, you should. I expect he has a good reason.

When I wanted to come into full communion (I was baptized Catholic as an infant) I had to wait much longer than I had fully expected. I was put off, but I took it as a time to learn to be patient.

When did you start your CCD classes?

[quote="BVMFatima, post:3, topic:314843"]
I was baptized a Protestant, and I'm in CCD. I was put in CCD from my religious class instructor to be received into the Church.

[/quote]

How long have you been in CCD? For our confirmation students, we have the 1st years and the 2nd years.

Which year are you in?

Also, based on your age, I am not sure if, since you are a minor, he can just go forward with confirmation if your parents object? Do your parents have any misgivings about your becoming Catholic?

[quote="Marie5890, post:6, topic:314843"]
How long have you been in CCD? For our confirmation students, we have the 1st years and the 2nd years.

Which year are you in?

Also, based on your age, I am not sure if, since you are a minor, he can just go forward with confirmation if your parents object? Do your parents have any misgivings about your becoming Catholic?

[/quote]

Same with my parish, but my religious instructor told me that I can complete both classes this year since I am in 10th grade and the first year was for 9th graders. Now my priest who just came to our parish does not want this with me and may want me to start over, and I did not ask because I just did not know what to say and I was shocked that I have to start my classes all over again.

My mother who is not Catholic has no problems with me becoming Catholic.

[quote="BVMFatima, post:7, topic:314843"]
Same with my parish, but my religious instructor told me that I can complete both classes this year since I am in 10th grade and the first year was for 9th graders. Now my priest who just came to our parish does not want this with me and may want me to start over, and I did not ask because I just did not know what to say and I was shocked that I have to start my classes all over again.

[/quote]

It sounds like to me that your pastor wants you to have 2 years of instructions, which is the norm, and not one.

It's unfortunate that your religious instructor told you something different. Your pastor, however, is the one to make this decision, not the instructor.

Whether or not your pastor is new the parish is really not relevant in all honesty. This is his decision to make.

Im sorry. I will pray that you will find the courage and patience to go ahead and do what your pastor has decided.

God Bless :)

[quote="Marie5890, post:8, topic:314843"]
It sounds like to me that your pastor wants you to have 2 years of instructions, which is the norm, and not one.

It's unfortunate that your religious instructor told you something different. Your pastor, however, is the one to make this decision, not the instructor.

Whether or not your pastor is new the parish is really not relevant in all honesty. This is his decision to make.

Im sorry. I will pray that you will find the courage and patience to go ahead and do what your pastor has decided.

God Bless :)

[/quote]

Thank you, God Bless!

It is hard to advise you on this, because we don’t know the Priest’s side of the story. My hunch, however, is that he is wanting you to go through the RCIA program rather than through CCD. I know that my parish requires all converts over a certain age to attend RCIA rather than Sacramental Preparation courses.

Either way, I understand and respect your distress and heartache over this. But please have heart, my dear. You will still be accepted into the Church. If nothing else, we are all called to patience because it is one of the hardest things to maintain. If it truly must be this way, as your priest is saying, then try to see how much more you can learn in this next year or two until you are confirmed. I would even suggest keeping a spiritual journal! In two years when you are confirmed and received into the Church, you will be able to read exactly where you were today and follow your journey through your own writings, prayers and musings. It may help you to continue to grow as you wait.

I applaud your enthusiasm to become Catholic. I agree with SuscipeMeDomine that the best thing to do is to have a longer conversation with your priest so you can have the opportunity to come to a better understanding as to his decision.

In any case, it is worth the wait. :slight_smile: It seems like a long time now, but it will be here before you know it.

I know it you are feeling discouraged but understand that the path to sainthood is paved by humility and obedience. An extra year seems like a long time but will only be a grain of sand in the beach of eternity. You will get there! I will remember you in my prayers.

[quote="BVMFatima, post:7, topic:314843"]

[/quote]

O.K. You are about 15 or 16, no older. I think the problem is your age, unless he has given another. Few people of your age, in this day and age, are mature enough to be making that kind of decision. It really is a decision for adults. He just doesn't want to rush it and have you chuck the whole thing a year later. So just go along with his program as he asked. It won't kill you and will give you a chance to grow in humility and patience. Keep going to Church and saying your prayers and making visits to the Blessed Sacrament. If God wants you and you want him, you will be faithful no matter what. Linus

BVMFatima,

I see you are in the same archdiocese as I am. Each diocese can be different. Here is the handbook for RCIA, and from what I read, I expect it really less to do with you needing to go thru RCIA and more that your pastor wants you to have the 2 full year CCD classes

orehartford.org/docum/rcia.pdf

Here is a link to the Archdiocese handbook for RCIA however, if you are interested.

Lots of good advice since I was last here!!

Hang in there BVMFatima, I’ll keep you in my prayers! :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your advice and help! God Bless :)

Prayers offered. :signofcross:

[quote="BVMFatima, post:9, topic:314843"]
Thank you, God Bless!

[/quote]

this sounds a little crazy but you could possibly tell him how you have been studying Catholicism a lot and you are on Catholic Answers like all the time and you understand the Eucharist and Confession and everything to the point where most confirmed don't have as clear as understanding as you (((((( IF THIS IS THE CASE))))))))

I think there is a canon law somewhere saying if your ready your ready and show it to him - he may be impressed and expedite your process

worth a shot if waiting 2 years is not easy- my wife is doing RCIA and she will be doing 2 years but she is in no hurry, and she is learning more from me than in RCIA :p

prayers your way buddy!

Good News! I'm coming into the Church March 30th!

That's wonderful news!!!! Welcome Home!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.