My night at religion class

It was a really great night at religion class. We watched the Catholicism series by Father Robert Barron from EWTN which was amazing, then discussed our Catholic faith and I (a young 16 year old male) explained things we believed in and also quoted scriptures I know by heart on particular subjects such as Purgatory, Jesus ressurection etc. The class full of adults was amazed and even clapped for me which shocked me :) After that my class went into a Chapel and had eucharistic adoration and I had a confession. My Mother who offered to pick me up, however, told me to hurry up and come on ( she wanted to pick me up so we can go home) and she was texting this to me during adoration. Since I didn't reply due to prayer, I went outside after Prayer and did not find my Mother in sight ( It was very dark out too).I found out she ditched me and went home to type for her Job ( she couldent even wait 5 minuets due to her ignorance). So I began walking home and two women from my parish offered me a ride, God Bless them for that!( this upset my Mother though). Anyway, I knew I was going to be persecuted some how, I even offered it up to the Lord at Eucharistic adoration telling my Lord I accept all persecution no matter what it may be from my Mother or anybody. Please keep me in your prayers and thanks for reading and God Bless!

BVMFatima

You are not being persecuted.

From what you have relayed, it seems you are purposely provoking your parents and you are being disrespectful to them. You need to apologize and reconsider the way you are behaving.

BVMFatima,

Continue to witness. A young man as yourself is what we need in the Church today: loyal to the faith, in love with the Lord and the BVM, and not afraid to profess your faith.

You are in inspiration to me and I am sure to many others!

God bless!

In Christ through Mary,
dgreyes
Catholic High School Teacher

[quote="BVMFatima, post:1, topic:325809"]
It was a really great night at religion class. We watched the Catholicism series by Father Robert Barron from EWTN which was amazing, then discussed our Catholic faith and I (a young 16 year old male) explained things we believed in and also quoted scriptures I know by heart on particular subjects such as Purgatory, Jesus ressurection etc. The class full of adults was amazed and even clapped for me which shocked me :) After that my class went into a Chapel and had eucharistic adoration and I had a confession. My Mother who offered to pick me up, however, told me to hurry up and come on ( she wanted to pick me up so we can go home) and she was texting this to me during adoration. Since I didn't reply due to prayer, I went outside after Prayer and did not find my Mother in sight ( It was very dark out too).I found out she ditched me and went home to type for her Job ( she couldent even wait 5 minuets due to her ignorance). So I began walking home and two women from my parish offered me a ride, God Bless them for that!( this upset my Mother though). Anyway, I knew I was going to be persecuted some how, I even offered it up to the Lord at Eucharistic adoration telling my Lord I accept all persecution no matter what it may be from my Mother or anybody. Please keep me in your prayers and thanks for reading and God Bless!

BVMFatima

[/quote]

yes, you were in adoration but if your mother need to get to work, not answering her in the name of religion is being disrespectful of her time and is not going to promote faith to them if you keep on doing this. It is not a matter of 5 more minutes for prayer but 5 minutes late to her job which in some circumstances can cost someone their job. You can pray all you want but if you are disrespectful to your parents for their time and effort to get you a ride, then all your religiosity is meaningless.

[quote="1ke, post:2, topic:325809"]
You are not being persecuted.

From what you have relayed, it seems you are purposely provoking your parents and you are being disrespectful to them. You need to apologize and reconsider the way you are behaving.

[/quote]

I believe this is a hoax. The posts are consistantly very unusual.

[quote="robwar, post:4, topic:325809"]
yes, you were in adoration but if your mother need to get to work, not answering her in the name of religion is being disrespectful of her time and is not going to promote faith to them if you keep on doing this. It is not a matter of 5 more minutes for prayer but 5 minutes late to her job which in some circumstances can cost someone their job. You can pray all you want but if you are disrespectful to your parents for their time and effort to get you a ride, then all your religiosity is meaningless.

[/quote]

And talking about "her ignorance" is even more disrespectful. Being at church doesn't give you a free pass to act like a brat. The big smiley just adds insult to injury.

iii

BVMFatima, I know your mother isn't a big supporter of your faith, but when she offers to pick you up after letting you spend your evening at religion class and adoration, you need to respect that. She needed to get home to do her work, and you were not really cooperating. Sure, maybe ditching you wasn't the right thing to do, but other people have things to do too. You can cut adoration a little shorter than you would like so that you can comply with your mother's needs.

The kid has 800 posts under his belt, and the tone seems to be fairly consistent with that of a teenager from what I have read.

I have lead much confusion which I apologize for since I only gave a summary of the entire story. I didn’t reply due to fact my phone was going off in my pocket while my priest was saying the Eucharistic prayers for adoration and I was trying to be respectful as possible.

I later on informed her there was help needed for the elderly which didn’t take long, plus my Mothers job doesn’t start until the afternoon, so I figured everything would be ok.

For the persecution part, that would go for people in general who judge me for being Catholic and offend me, not that problem with my Mother.

God Bless,
BVMFatima

[quote="Reborn2013, post:5, topic:325809"]
I believe this is a hoax. The posts are consistantly very unusual.

[/quote]

Im curious why you would have come to that conclusion :confused:

Sure maybe some of my posts may be unusual but which ones exactly?

[quote="aemcpa, post:9, topic:325809"]
The kid has 800 posts under his belt, and the tone seems to be fairly consistent with that of a teenager from what I have read.

[/quote]

Which posts exactly? :confused:

[quote="agnes_therese, post:6, topic:325809"]
And talking about "her ignorance" is even more disrespectful. Being at church doesn't give you a free pass to act like a brat. The big smiley just adds insult to injury.

[/quote]

Not ignorance in the sense you are thinking, but in the sense she does not understand. For me being a brat, I don't know why I am accused of being so? I always respect my Mother and we are very close, infact this is the first time something like this ever happend, however I do accept your opinion.

As for the big smiley, that was for me having a good night worshiping out Lord and learning about the faith even more, not the issue with my Mother.

God Bless,
BVMFatima

I am saying that from the posts I have seen by you on this forum, I believe that you are who you say you are.

Your mother has authority over you. Respect for authority has a value in God's eyes since the family is an institution that God has created. As long as your mother is not commanding you to harm yourself or someone else, you need to be considerate and respectful of her authority. I may have done the same thing with my own child (leave without giving you a ride).

You need to consider this:
whether or not your mother is hindering your Catholic faith is a matter between her and God. If she needs to be consequented for hindering the practice of your religion, God will take care of that, not you. It is not your place to contradict your mother, to bend her to your schedule and wishes, to determine her ignorance or lack of it. This is a matter of pride and disobedience, and all the applause in the world will not make up for that. Trust me, been there done that. That pride will lead you into other areas that are much more difficult to handle than a ride home... if you get my drift.

By the way, just a reminder that Sunday is Mother's day. The Blessed Virgin Mary in your name is a mother, as is your own. That fact deserves some honor and respect.

[quote="BVMFatima, post:10, topic:325809"]
I have lead much confusion which I apologize for since I only gave a summary of the entire story. I didn't reply due to fact my phone was going off in my pocket while my priest was saying the Eucharistic prayers for adoration and I was trying to be respectful as possible.

I later on informed her there was help needed for the elderly which didn't take long, plus my Mothers job doesn't start until the afternoon, so I figured everything would be ok.

For the persecution part, that would go for people in general who judge me for being Catholic and offend me, not that problem with my Mother.

God Bless,
BVMFatima

[/quote]

Whether there was an elderly person that needed help or not, your mom who was your ride needed to go and it was rude to delay her. If she was contacting you to go, you could have easily slipped out and let someone else help the elderly person. You may have thought I want to help and it didn't take long is a lame excuse. While the priest was doing the final prayer, you could have easily text your mom back that you would be right out or even just stepped out and not delay her anymore because it did sound like she had to go to work which is her responsibility and priority even if you don't think so. If you want your families support, it seems like you need to step up to the plate and show forth a more cooperative attitude and consideration on their time and efforts to get you there.

BVMFatima: Your mother was upset about you not coming out on time or taking a ride from another parishioner? Why don't you apologize to your mother for the confusion and state that you did what you thought was the most prudent thing, and next time try to work you work out a better plan. I get annoyed when I have to wait for someone who isn't where they say they will be.

By the way, it is not okay, at least in my parish, to check your text messages while the priest was saying prayers or celebrating Mass, or whatever. So I am confused as to how the OP would have checked his text message.

:tsktsk: Try not to antagonize your mother and be thankful she will let you go to any Church function. She may have been concerned about your safety if it was dark.

I forgot to mention I was not aware who wass texting me, I thought it was a friend texting me at first and I ignored it because I was praying, then I was not aware my Mother was going to pick me up which was why it took me so long to get ready to leave due to being busy, but then again I admit my mistakes and accept myself as a brat as I was called.

Anyway, God Bless!

[quote="BVMFatima, post:18, topic:325809"]
I forgot to mention I was not aware who wass texting me, I thought it was a friend texting me at first and I ignored it because I was praying, then I was not aware my Mother was going to pick me up which was why it took me so long to get ready to leave due to being busy, but then again I admit my mistakes and accept myself as a brat as I was called.

Anyway, God Bless!

[/quote]

I don't think anyone believes you a brat. You are a brother in Christ, although still a minor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.