My non Catholic friend asked me (not sure where this goes)

I'm not sure where this goes. But one of my non Catholic friends just asked me if I was a born again believer. Ive not been Catholic many years so I'm not sure of the right answer so I wanted to ask before I try to answer her. I hope this aint a stupid question lol.

The basis for your friend's question is John 3:3 (in context: John 3: 1-21), which essentially describes following Jesus in putting spiritual matters ahead of earthly ones. However, it's been my experience that most Protestant Christians tend to think of that phrase as defining a singular moment in a person's life wherein they offered a specific prayer inviting the Lord into their heart and accepting Him as their personal Savior.

[quote="LionTamer, post:2, topic:195067"]
The basis for your friend's question is John 3:3 (in context: John 3: 1-21), which essentially describes following Jesus in putting spiritual matters ahead of earthly ones. However, it's been my experience that most Protestant Christians tend to think of that phrase as defining a singular moment in a person's life wherein they offered a specific prayer inviting the Lord into their heart and accepting Him as their personal Savior.

[/quote]

What exactly do I tell her? lol

[quote="Dawg2010, post:1, topic:195067"]
I'm not sure where this goes. But one of my non Catholic friends just asked me if I was a born again believer. Ive not been Catholic many years so I'm not sure of the right answer so I wanted to ask before I try to answer her. I hope this aint a stupid question lol.

[/quote]

With all certainty you can say "why yes". If he asks "why"? You can simply say I'm a baptized Catholic Christian. If he ventures down heresy lane you can opt out or ask "why do you ask?" If you're really brave - and preferably knowledgeable - you can venture down the path I take and explain it to them with bible in hand [BCV] and teach them the Sacred Tradition as well as theology and discuss their choice of words. These are not typical words to ask someone. I hope you're setting a good example for your friend. Why would they ask unless they were about to go down heresy lane to convert you to their belief? I can't help but laugh at folks like that. When I was Christian, bible only, I laughed at Pentecosts, Baptists and other fundamentalists that push those ideas as I turned the bible on their heads quoting scripture to them. I love it when someone tries to correct my particular translation. Ironically, I learned BCV with quotes from various translations and always educated them on translations and where they came from as well as strengths and weaknesses. And I particularly love it when they try to use the "original language Greek" on me, as if they are Greek experts. It makes me LMAO :blush: Sorry, had to say that because it is so true. I see many of them come on here with say bible degrees thinking they know truth and the word of God better than those of us who were also very faithful bible only Christians too at one point in our life. Between me and my wife's family we have well over a hundred of bible only believers that believe they are "born again", which they technically are, but not Catholic. Born again really implies they have been baptized as believers or accepted Jesus in their heart, followed by baptism.

[quote="Dawg2010, post:3, topic:195067"]
What exactly do I tell her? lol

[/quote]

Say "yes", and don't go into depth about it. If she wants to then tell her the truth.

I was born again by living water in baptism. You might want to say I am born again and simply leave it at that. If it's a challenge of faith then I'd consider getting a new friend because they are headed down a path you're apparently not prepared to handle. There is no offense in my words, just acknowledgment of the facts that you need more study to defend the Catholic faith before really confusing someone with more misunderstandings. Many Protestants don't have the background to understand it anyway. So keeping it simple is the best path.

Thanks for your answer!

Since we are called to constant conversion, couldn't you also say that every day you are born again because of your decision for conversion of the heart?

I never understood the concept of beong born again…I mean, what about kids raised form ***** in Christian homes, who’ve known and loved Jesus from as far as they can remember? How are they “born again?” And why don’t they think a Catholic can be “born again?”

it is not stupid, but it is not something we can answer for you. ;f you no longer identify yourself as Catholic, only you can tell your friend what you do believe, and in whom you place your faith, . If you were baptized you were born again of water and the Holy Spirit, as Christ promised, and as he declares is necessary for eternal life, but what kind of believer you are now, only you can answer. I am editing my answer since OP is unclear, it sounds like you are no longer Catholic, but maybe you mean something different. If you mean you are a fairly new Catholic, then tell her you believe in all Christ says and promises, including the Church he founded to guide us.

I am not sure who has said this but I heard it on EWTN, you can always respond with-
I have been saved, I am being saved, & I hope to be saved. Seemed like a rather clever response to me. Good luck and God Bless

Here's a parallel thread when you might glean info...May the Lord bless you and draw you closer.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=448419

[quote="rainalaska, post:10, topic:195067"]
I am not sure who has said this but I heard it on EWTN, you can always respond with-
I have been saved, I am being saved, & I hope to be saved. Seemed like a rather clever response to me. Good luck and God Bless

[/quote]

Fr. Grochel, and others. I use it now.:thumbsup: But for this poor soul struggling on how to respond it's best to keep it simple. "Yes" would be in order and leave it at that. If the friend goes beyond this it may be time to reconsider the relationship if the boundary of respect is ignored. I wouldn't say none of your business though. And if you're confidence carries you well then tell her like it really is with Catholic belief...and why.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:9, topic:195067"]
it is not stupid, but it is not something we can answer for you. ;f you no longer identify yourself as Catholic, only you can tell your friend what you do believe, and in whom you place your faith, . If you were baptized you were born again of water and the Holy Spirit, as Christ promised, and as he declares is necessary for eternal life, but what kind of believer you are now, only you can answer. I am editing my answer since OP is unclear, it sounds like you are no longer Catholic, but maybe you mean something different. If you mean you are a fairly new Catholic, then tell her you believe in all Christ says and promises, including the Church he founded to guide us.

[/quote]

Puzzleannie, I do believe you misread the OP. The OP is Catholic now. That implies a convert. Is this true OP [not OP cunningham either:rolleyes:]?

As Jesus points out to Nicodemus “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, "and do you not understand these things? John 3:10

To be born again you must be born of ‘water and Spirit’. Simply becoming a member of a church/synagogue of any kind does not give anyone rebirth, as Jesus explained to Nicodemus, a Jew who should have known this. When you are dead to your old life and born a-new in Christ, then you understand Christ’s truth because your new life is all consuming and lived in Him, through Him, for Him, pouring forth the water of life.

Jesus was raised a Jew, attended and taught in Synagogues, but preached a universal Father of love to all men, so that they may be set free by the power of His teachings.

Who is the water? Jesus alone is “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4 13-14

Be a Catholic, but first and foremost be a believer on The Lord Jesus Christ and He will give you this eternal life giving water. If that takes a life defining moment of repentance (a turning away from sin, Putting Satan behind you) then consider doing it for the sake of your soul.

You see, the Samaritan woman had been drinking of the water of her ancestor Jacob at the well. Jesus used her as the vessel to take new and living waters to the Samaritans. He freed her from her past life, she left old waters behind her, and because of her life transforming experience she proclaimed Christ to a whole nation.

In a way your church and priest is doing this ‘Come to me and hear the Gospel, Come to me and hear the living water of Christ, Come to me all you who are thirsty. Drink Him in and experience Him as a physical experience’. Hear the Gospel because we/I have experienced this life transforming moment and we/I want to tell you about it.

God bless

This is a GREAT article on the the question :thumbsup:

catholic.com/library/Are_Catholics_Born_Again.asp

I never understood what “Born Again” meant either. I asked a lot of people who were familiar with the term. I got a lot of vague answers. I finally got one that made sense to me.

Born again means that you have you have transitioned from believing in Christ to knowing.

I like that one. :thumbsup:

In some [notice that it's not all inclusive] Fundamental Evangelical Protestant faiths "born again" does mean the same thing as Catholics. The difference is that they believe in a believers baptism. My former A. Campbell church of Christ faith, now realizing it came out of the Disciples of Christ faith, which came out of the Presbyterian faith, also teach salvation outside the church and that faith without works is dead. They also teach that a baptized Christian can fall away from God and lose their salvation. So there is no such thing as an all inclusive Protestant belief. Most people jump on the Baptist theology without realizing how insulting it is for those of us who, in our case once, are not of that belief. Our experience is so profound that when I run into converts from our previous faith, they too admit to the proselytizing nature - especially reaching out to children to steal the children out from under the parents believe, usually stagnant at the time. I was different. I actually defended even Muslim children from proselytizing non-denom, really baptist seminary theologies, because I did not want someone to do that to my children without my knowing about it. In fact, my gut reaction to a local non-denom youth minister who what clearly teaching heresy and telling lies for a "good story" ticked me off so much that I defended the children and ultimately found that only a few were offended as well. To my surprise the Methodist were not nearly as protective of their children as we were. Though we had an abrupt falling out the head "pastor" or preacher at the church gave a series on the Da Vinci Code Hoax, a multiple Sunday series that opened my eyes to documents existing that I had not idea about. I thought that all of these documents were destroyed. I was kicking around the argument "how do we know which books belong in the bible". so who put them together. I had forgotten the Catholic argument and really did not have solid evidence ever placed in front of me to even consider the truth. I lost my trust in clergy many years ago after being swept under the carpet after a priest woke me up molesting me. I jumped up and out. I never brought it up to him but told my vocation director as well as someone and seminarians in the school. They all looked at me like I was stupid. They said, didn't you know? I said absolutely not. I saw a lot of things that looked like cover ups and became very suspicious about the Catholic hierarchy and for the first time in my life doubted everything I was taught. Because I knew of no other organization that claimed to be the one true church, believed in baptism necessary for salvation, and my idea of bible based leadership and regular communion I didn't see anywhere else to go. Abortion and Divorce was also one of my staunchly held beliefs as being gravely sinful. I held onto this until I met my wife in 1988, where they brought up legitimate arguments that even I learned growing up about sinful clergy doing horrible things in the name of God, which I held to be gravely sinful.

I erroneously believed that if this was God's true Church then how could it seem to go amuck as Jesus said "the gates of hell cannot prevail against it". I learned the cold hard facts after my conversion to that non-denominational church. They had the same problems and in many ways much worse. Long story short, I Googled "ancient christian documents" and found Ignatius of Antioch, the Didache, Clement of Rome, and many more ancient church fathers and actually read them. This conjured up much curiosity about whether or not I had made a seriously grave mistake by leaving the Catholic Church but couldn't see it as valid. And since I had learned about the existence of the Eastern Orthodox Church, previously thinking they were Jews, I learned their traditions as well and learned enough to realize that many Catholics not only do not know the true Catholic Teachings but even do not practice the faith as they were taught. That is why they are ripe for the picking by Protestant evangelicals. Sad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.