My Non-catholic Friend 'recieved' !?

Any suggestions on how best to explain to my good friend that it is improper for them to recieve Holy Communion if they are guests at Mass. She thinks that as a Christian, it is acceptable to do so. Thanks.

You could tell your friend that the Eucharist is the ultimate sacrament of unity in the Body of Christ. In order to receive it worthily, one must believe what we have received from the Church and submit to the authority of the Church because those are the proper signs of unity. To partake of the Body and Blood while not accepting the teachings of the Church and while being manifestly in separation from the Body of Christ is incredibly disrespectful.

Now, your friend might be perfectly unaware of these things, so I do not want to come off sounding harsh; but it is important that your friend not receive. I hope your friend is drawn to the Eucharist. That would be a very positive thing. Unity with the Church would be in sight then.

Explain to her that, by accepting it, she is stating that she believes and accepts everything the Catholic Church teaches.

Tell them the truth. That recieving Holy Communion means that you are in communion with the Church, accept the Church’s teaching. To recieve when not in a state of grace (having mortal sin on your soul) or when you are not in union with the Church is the same as lying.

If your church has a prayer aid like a missalette. There is usually instruction about the church’s stand on the reception of Holy Communion. Encourage them to read this so they can understand how we hold the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. This is a great opportunity for you for catechesis. Don’t be afraid that you aren’t knowledgeable enough to give the proper answer. You are! Pray as you answer to the Holy Spirit and the worlds will surely come!

Agree with the prior posts and would also add the point that merely standing in the communion line is a sign that we are in communion with the Church, in our beliefs and in our actions. Also my priest tells us that when we say “amen” to “the Body of Christ” we are swearing an oath word, “yes, it is true, I believe . . .” to the fact that it is the Body and Blood of Christ and also that we are in communion with the Church.

Great suggestions. You could also call “Catholic Answers” and ask them.

i,m a lutheran who attends mass every week with my wife,i always stay in the pews and partake in a spiritual communion,not because i believe that i shouldn,t but because i respect the rules of the church.i personally believe that all baptized christians who believe in the real presence,who are repentant of there sins,believe in jesus as there lord and savior should be allowed to participate in holy eucharist.i think it,s absurd to say that the jesus who ate with tax collectors,prostitutes,lepers,dregs of society,would want to deny any believers of this grace.the church(all baptized believers)is a hospital for sinners not a museum for saints!but as stated i follow the catholic churches rules for non-catholics out of respect for their beliefs even if there not mine.in christ,celt

My protestant friend went to a Catholic mass and recieved the Eucharist. He was not aware at the time that he was not supposed to. After he told me this I explained to him that Catholics view the Eucharist as more than protestants do, we believe it is the body and blood of christ and only Catholics or Orthodox Christians can recieve it.

[quote=paxpilgrim]Any suggestions on how best to explain to my good friend that it is improper for them to recieve Holy Communion if they are guests at Mass. She thinks that as a Christian, it is acceptable to do so. Thanks.
[/quote]

KILL THE INFIDEL!!! Oh… Sorry about that, got a little carried away by my recent research of Islam.

Your friend could still walk up and be blessed, however. That would still be respectful, no?

When we Catholics go forward for Communion, we are stating with our bodies, souls, intellect and will that we follow the teachings of the Church…ALL of the teachings, not just the things we like or find convenient or comfortable.

We are stating that we are aware of the miracle that takes place on the altar, and that through the Holy Spirit the bread and wine fully BECOME the BODY and BLOOD of our Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST. He is FULLY PRESENT and we are going forward to recieve him as he requested.

Jesus Christ is there, BODY BLOOD SOUL AND DIVINITY and when we either recieve unworthily or recieve and do not believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church, we are LYING, body, blood, soul, and divinity and we are PROFANING the very BODY of Christ.

Azcelt, I appreciate the respect shown by people of other religions and I admire your restraint, but please consider the above. I know Lutherans believe in CON-substantiation as opposed to our belief of TRANS-substantiationn (My Dad was Lutheran and I used to attend services with him), but that does not prepare you to recieve within our Church.

I understand that you dispute this and you don’t believe…so therefore, by your own words you must recognize the lie you would be making if you went forward to recieve.

We really believe that the species of bread and wine do fully become body and blood of Christ under the appearance only of bread and wine. We do not just believe that Jesus is present WITH the bread and wine, but that they are FULLY TRANSFORMED.

Now, as a tongue-in-cheek method of explaining this to non-Catholics who don’t understand, just tell them that if they go forward they’ll be cannibals and have to drink real blood and eat real flesh as we do. :smiley:

It chased people who weren’t serious away in the Bible…will likely work for you too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I pray for people who don’t understand. I used to be there and I grew up in the Church…and I cringe now when I realize that I have profaned the very Body of Christ.

It is difficult to explain, but for some it can be effective for them to understand that they would be conceeding to Catholic doctrine and dogma to recieve if they are not Catholic.

When we Catholics go forward for Communion, we are stating with our bodies, souls, intellect and will that we follow the teachings of the Church…ALL of the teachings, not just the things we like or find convenient or comfortable.

We are stating that we are aware of the miracle that takes place on the altar, and that through the Holy Spirit the bread and wine fully BECOME the BODY and BLOOD of our Lord and Savior JESUS CHRIST. He is FULLY PRESENT and we are going forward to recieve him as he requested.

Jesus Christ is there, BODY BLOOD SOUL AND DIVINITY and when we either recieve unworthily or recieve and do not believe in the teachings of the Catholic Church, we are LYING, body, blood, and soul and we are PROFANING the very BODY of Christ.

Azcelt, I appreciate the respect shown by people of other religions and I admire your restraint, but please consider the above. I know Lutherans believe in CON-substantiation as opposed to our belief of TRANS-substantiationn (My Dad was Lutheran and I used to attend services with him), but that does not prepare you to recieve within our Church.

I understand that you dispute this and you don’t believe…so therefore, by your own words you must recognize the lie you would be making if you went forward to recieve.

We really believe that the species of bread and wine do fully become body and blood of Christ under the appearance only of bread and wine. We do not just believe that Jesus is present WITH the bread and wine, but that they are FULLY TRANSFORMED.

Now, as a tongue-in-cheek method of explaining this to non-Catholics who don’t understand, just tell them that if they go forward they’ll be cannibals and have to drink real blood and eat real flesh as we do. :smiley:

It chased people who weren’t serious away in the Bible…will likely work for you too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I pray for people who don’t understand. I used to be there and I grew up in the Church…and I cringe now when I realize that I have profaned the very Body of Christ.

It is difficult to explain, but for some it can be effective for them to understand that they would be conceeding to Catholic doctrine and dogma to recieve if they are not Catholic.

[quote=msh]Your friend could still walk up and be blessed, however. That would still be respectful, no?
[/quote]

Well, it wouldn’t be disrespectful, exactly, but it misses the point. That part of the liturgy is for receiving Communion. The entire congregation receives a blessing from the priest at the end of the Mass. If you’re not going to receive, you should just remain where you are and perform an act of spiritual communion.

[quote=Pentecost2005]Well, it wouldn’t be disrespectful, exactly, but it misses the point. That part of the liturgy is for receiving Communion. The entire congregation receives a blessing from the priest at the end of the Mass. If you’re not going to receive, you should just remain where you are and perform an act of spiritual communion.
[/quote]

Jeez… Who died and made you pope?

Any suggestions on how best to explain to my good friend that it is improper for them to recieve Holy Communion if they are guests at Mass. She thinks that as a Christian, it is acceptable to do so. Thanks.

If she’s with you, just take the aisle seat and don’t move during communion yourself. She ain’t going to climb over but instead will take the hint to stay in the pew.

I did that at a wedding I attended with a Hindu friend.

Also, at a Greek Catholic funeral liturgy I was in attendance with my Baptist boss, although I wouldn’t have received there anyhow as I was never catechized into what to do.

Oh my my myyyy!!! Please explain to her what this means to Catholics … I think she did what she did out of complete ignorance because I don’t think anyone would be that disrespectful. Just gently let her know. If she does it anyway go get advice from your priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.