My ongoing conversion story

Hi all. I was originally going to put this in a thread with other conversion stories, but I decided to put this in a thread by itself, since it’s an ongoing story.

This year, God has been doing unbelievable things in my life. He brought me out of a financial rut, and he also brought me out of a crisis of faith which lasted for over six years. He gave me a job at a Protestant church, so that I could see where I really needed to be. He has answered a lot of prayers, and I’m very thankful.

My conversion to the Catholic faith really started in September of this year. The preacher at the church I work at, told me that in order for me to be on the praise team, I would have to go to mandatory Bible study on Wednesday nights. This brought back some really bad memories of a time in my life when I was a fanatical Protestant fundamentalist. I asked for the Holy Spirit’s help when I talked to the pastor, but at the time, it didn’t seem like my prayer was answered. I believe that that was on September 7.

This is where the really good stuff began to happen. On September 10, I was on the way to mandatory Bible study, and my friend Mary C was driving. She told me that her husband had just received a free CD in the mail, and she thought that I would like to listen to it. When she played it, it was Mozart, who in my oppinion, wrote some of the best Catholic masterpieces ever written. I had Mary C skip through the CD, to see if any parts of the masterpiece of masterpieces, the Requiem, was on there. When I heard the first part of the Requiem start to play, something began to come over me. My heart felt like it was melting, and I remembered my old love for the Catholic Church, and the Virgin Mary. It was as if the music was saying, “Come back home!” It was an unforgetable experience. The whole time I was at Bible study that evening, I don’t remember a single word that the pastor said, because I was homesick, wishing that I was in a Catholic church. From that day on, the old memories started coming back to me, and I remembered a Marian miracle that happened to a family member, and the undeniable tangible proof that it had happened. I had completely forgotten about that miracle. I took up my old interest in Marian apparitions, and I remembered the signs that God may have given me eight years ago, directing me to the Catholic Church.

At the end of September and the beginning of October, I had to deal with a major question about Eucharistic adoration, and whether it was idolatry. It was then that I called and signed up for RCIA classes at a nearby perish. On September 30, a very weird thing happened to me, which may have sealed my fate. I believe that I may have been visited by the Blessed Virgin Mary herself. It happened after I got home from my first RCIA class. She didn’t have to say a single word for me to get the message. The story about that experience can be heard in this YouTube video.
youtube.com/watch?v=3FsFidrlV94

The video is a response to an anti-Catholic video I found when I was looking for material about Marian apparitions. If you look at the comments for my video, you’ll see that I had another weird experience pertaining to the Virgin Mary on October 11. Please check out the video, and the comments.

I’m hoping to save up enough money over the next year, so I can make a trip to Lourdes, to see if I can be miraculously healed from my blindness, which has been with me since birth. That miracle may even happen before I can get there. The reason I say this, is because of the two recent Marian experiences that I’ve had. I’m seriously considering keeping my job at the Baptist church, to save up the money I need for the trip. My RCIA director and my sponsor both said that this would be ok. I request that everyone who reads this Please pray for me.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I felt that I should tell you the biggest part of my story. There are many other things that happened before September 10, but I can’t tell you about them right now.

Josh,

No need to worry about being long winded. It is a good thing to read about your experience. I found it interesting that music played a big part in it all. I am not a music person at all, but I realize that it is important and it affects others.

Back in 1998 I bicycled from Paris to Lourdes. It was a great summer of bicycling. I spent the better part of a day there and that was not enough. Give yourself plenty of time when you go.

Welcome to the catholic faith.

Brennan

Thanks!

I just had another weird experience a fiew minutes ago! If you’ve watched my YouTube video, you’ll know about the smell of roses I experienced, and if you look at the video’s comments, you’ll see that it happened again on October 11. During the first experience, the smell was coming from the direction of the living room. Well, just a fiew minutes ago, I went to get my CD of the Rosary recitation out, and it hit me! The Rosary CD was stored in a CD tower in the living room, the same room that the smell came from! I always wondered why the smell came from that direction, and now, it looks like I’ve received the answer. How’s that for weirdness!

It was fantastic to read your story and video. I’m beginning to understand that many many converts to catholicism experience things outside the realms of normal understanding that serves as way markers and confirmers that we’re on the right path :thumbsup:

Blessed be God forever!

Praised be Jesus and Mary!

TBolt, thanks for sharing with us.

Your audio on youtube is very sincere.

Yes, Our Blessed Virgin Mary always leads us to Jesus.

I keep you in my prayers!!!

Amen! And blessed be the Lord Jesus Christ the Son, and blessed be the Holy Spirit forever! And thanks be to God for Mary, and all true Marian apparitions! Amen!

I’m planning on trying out going to an adoration chapel alone for the first time.

I hope to make it all the way through RCIA this time, unlike what happened over 6 years ago. Last time, I switched perishes in the middle of RCIA, because of some serious abuses in the Religious Education department in the perish I started at. The perish I ended up switching to was probably the most traditional perish in the city, and they were much further ahead of the other perish in the RCIA process. I had trouble back then with the authority of the Church, and I ended up leaving the RCIA process over something very trivial.

That is awesome! When you need encouragement to go more frequently in the future, keep asking Jesus for the grace to do that. He’ll give it to you.

Welcome Home to the Catholic Church! God Bless!

I went to the chapel yesterday evening. It was a chapel with a closed tabernacle, but since I’m coming from a Protestant background, I’d rather it be that way for now. I also ended up saying the Rosary while I was there. I may not go back to the chapel for a while, because I’m still not fully comfortable with it yet. The things that some Protestants say about Eucharistic adoration keep coming into my mind, such as “idolatry,” “wafer-god,” “false christ,” etc. Please pray for me, that all of these doubts leave my mind, so I can go to adoration, and have a good experience there.

Here’s an update on my conversion process. I’ve had a lot of doubts and questions for the past fiew weeks, and I almost gave up on becoming Catholic, and I even expressed it in another thread. However, I’m starting to come out of that way of thinking. I’m starting to realize that many of the doubts are being caused by some of the things I’ve been doing, such as debating on anti-Catholic videos. I’ve been subjecting myself to these doubts, and the temptation to give up on Catholicism. My Obsessive Compulsave Disorder isn’t helping things either.

Please continue to pray for me.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

The real key to faith is prayer, perpetual prayer. As the Bible says, “Pray always.” (1 Thessalonians 5:17). All the convincing evidence in the world cannot counteract prayer. To the best of my knowledge, this is illustrated by what happened to the disciples during the First Sorrowful Mystery, the Agony in the Garden, they didn’t pray. Even though they were with Jesus Christ all through his ministry and saw explanation of scripture, miracles abundantly, and St. Peter even knew that he was the Christ, the Son of the Living God, they fell away at the Cross, except for the Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. John, and a few others.

Grace is key here. We pray to Jesus Christ through the Immaculate Heart of Mary for faith, wisdom, charity, and whatever gifts of the Holy Spirit that we need. Otherwise, we may never get them, except if we keep on asking kind of like that poor women in the parables who kept on bothering the judge until he gave her what she asked for, sometimes for years on end, hopefully not!:eek:

And I’m hoping in this that no one will see me as judgmental, I read the Secret of the Rosary (rosary-center.org/secret.htm)) and True Devotion to Mary (ewtn.com/library/montfort/truedevo.htm)) by St. Louis Mary de Montfort, who inspired St. Maximilian Maria (www.consecration.com) and St. Therese of Liseux and that is how I learned so much about the importance of prayer to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and I still have immense difficulty on some days, maintaining the discipline of holy prayer. Note: St. Therese of Liseux is sometimes called the greatest saint of modern time, by the end of her short life at 24, she is said by some to have said, “I can suffer no more. To me all suffering is joy.” St. Maximilian Maria, to the best of my knowledge, used to go around posting copies of True Devotion to Mary on billboards. He is the Polish Priest that sheltered 2,000 Jews in his friary during the Holocaust, when taken to Auschwitz Concentraion camp, offered to die in place of another prisoners since that prisoner had family and he did not, even after three weeks of starvation and dehydration kept on leading the others in praise, prayer, and thoughts of heaven. Finally, they killed him with carbolic acid, and the Jewish Virtual Library honors him as Righteous Among Nations jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html His name is St. Maximilian Maria and not St. Maximilian Kolbe, because he changed his name to Maria to venerate the Blessed Virgin Mary, though he did have an extraordinary experience with her, she appeared to him as a child fortelling the kind of life and death he could choose to lead.

On to your question about the Eucharist: therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html
This Eucharistic Miracle is helpful for believing in the validity of the Eucharist in addition to prayer, prayer, and more prayer!:o
Please keep me in your prayers if you ever have the time. I give you the examples of these saints because they are so much holier than I. I will try to pray a most Holy Rosary for you this week. Thank you for your listening! :slight_smile:

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

And, I suspect that you are probably holier than I am as well, :blush: which is why I refer you to the saints writings instead of my own thoughts. Thank you again for listening!

From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Prayers and Intercessions

Let us give thanks to God the Father, who lovingly guides and nourishes his people. Let us cry out with joy:

• Glory to you, Lord, for ever.

Most gentle Father, we praise you for your love:
for the miracle of our creation and the greater miracle of our renewal.
As this day begins, fill our hearts with a desire to serve you:
may our thoughts and our actions give you glory.
Purify our hearts from all desire for evil:
let us always seek to do your will.
Open wide our hearts to the needs of all our brethren:
may they not be deprived of our love.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those that trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Almighty and eternal God, shed the brightness of your light on the people living in the shadow of death:
the light that was brought to us by the Dawn from on high,
our Dawn, the Lord Jesus Christ.

He lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
God for ever and ever.
Amen.

Thanks everyone for the prayers!

Now, I’m finally getting up my courage to go into a real adoration chapel with an open tabernacle! In fact, I long for it now! Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ our Lord!

Welcome home Josh.
You are in my prayer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.