My pagan friends and why I value them!

read this article the other day - liked it, posted it.

the-tidings.com/2005/1209/rolheiser.htm

here’s to staying on the right side of things!

anyone else like their pagan friends?

Thank you for posting that link - it was a wonderful piece to read first thing this morning.

I would have to say that about 90% of my friends and family are some variation of Pagan, including my mother, and I treasure each and every one of them.

God Bless -

Jessica

[quote=JessicaCeleste]Thank you for posting that link - it was a wonderful piece to read first thing this morning.

I would have to say that about 90% of my friends and family are some variation of Pagan, including my mother, and I treasure each and every one of them.

God Bless -

Jessica
[/quote]

You’re welcome! Check out more of the author’s stuff - Ronald Rolheiser is his name. He’s on the money, I reckon.

Some of my oldest and closest friends are pagan and they put me and many of my Christian friends to shame with the way they love, live and laugh.

here’s another interesting article - posted elsewhere on this site too.

ronrolheiser.com/arc050204.html

[quote=Balance]anyone else like their pagan friends?
[/quote]

Yes, I do! I do! :wave:

I even like my Protestant, Jewish and dissenting Catholic friends and family! I often keep in mind some of the wonderful people I know who just don’t yet understand our faith when I respond to posts here from people questioning the Church teachings… I wonder if one day I might encounter here someone I really know.:cool:

Thanks for sharing those articles. Those are good points to remember.

Loved this article–thanks for posting it. Whenever I am drawn to someone and establish a new friendship with them I always reflect on what it was that “clicked” between us. The author does a great job of pointing out that good can be found in all sorts of packages.

I love this reflection, thank you so much for sharing it! It really articulates something I have experienced again and again in my own life–some of the ‘best’ people I know are not necessarily Catholic or even Christian. Yet by their actions and joy they are almost a better witness to me about how much we are intended to embrace the life and time we’re given and enjoy it to the fullest extent. Thanks again!

It’s a great article, but I’m confused at his use of the term “pagan.” I have friends who are practicing pagans–they follow the early Celtic nature belief system. However, the author seems to be referring to “non-christians,” which is not the same thing as an actual Pagan. A little misleading.

[quote=virgo]It’s a great article, but I’m confused at his use of the term “pagan.” I have friends who are practicing pagans–they follow the early Celtic nature belief system. However, the author seems to be referring to “non-christians,” which is not the same thing as an actual Pagan. A little misleading.
[/quote]

I take his use of the term pagan to mean nonChristians - especially ones in love with life, as he describes - pagan in the sense of believing in truth, beauty, love. “Small p paganism” not “big P Paganism” which is more the old celtis druidism and so on."

he writes “pagan, in the best sense of the word.” not misleading at all - poetic license but no intention to mislead.

Yikes. Maybe not misleading, then, but certainly a little condescending? I don’t know, I guess I’m just stuck on the word too much. The way Christians use “pagan” tends to strike me like “heathen” or something negative like that.

Thanks for clarifying.

[quote=virgo]Yikes. Maybe not misleading, then, but certainly a little condescending? I don’t know, I guess I’m just stuck on the word too much. The way Christians use “pagan” tends to strike me like “heathen” or something negative like that.

Thanks for clarifying.
[/quote]

Rolheiser tends to let his readers do some work - he doesn’t lay it all for them. So he says “pagan, in the best sense of the word” and invites his readers to think that over for a bit, ask themselves “what does he mean?”

I think the article as a whole makes it clear that he’s beeing anything but condescending!

Pagan would be a word to describe a certain mindset or value system - so is “heathen” but “pagan” carries less baggage I think - "heathen is a fairly negative sort of word, “pagan” far less so. But I think I understand what you mean. I’d just say don’t get hung up on the one word - but you’re aware of that yourself.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.