My Parent's Marriage

Hey there everyone, I've got a question that I've been anxious about for some time, and I know that someone here probably has the answer!

First, some brief backstory: My mother's family, back after the Mass of Paul VI was introduced, went to an independent chapel in Boston which still celebrated the Tridentine Mass and refused to celebrate the Mass of Paul VI. For people from the area who may know, this was the famous Chapel of St. Roger and St. Mary run by Father Keane. Well, Father Keane had his faculties suspended back in 1981. However, nobody in my family knew this. They just thought they were attending the "traditional Mass" and were happy with it.

Now, I was baptized in that chapel and I know that my baptism was illicit but valid. However, my parents were also married in that chapel by this priest. Does the Catholic Church supply the faculties for igonrance of the wedded couple (in the same way they do for confessions when the penitent doesn't know the confessor doesn't have faculties) or do my parents suffer from a lack of form, and therefore aren't actually married?

Yes, they are both baptized Catholics. I'd just be really distraught to hear that they're not actually married :(

The term "lack of form" generally refers to couples who didn't even try to have a Catholic wedding. But it is certainly possible that your parents' marriage suffers from a "defect of form", which can happen anytime the paperwork isn't handled exactly correctly. In some cases where this has occurred on a widespread basis, the bishop can perform a "radical sanation" without informing either party to the marriage that there ever was a problem in the first place.

[quote="Domnall, post:1, topic:336484"]
Hey there everyone, I've got a question that I've been anxious about for some time, and I know that someone here probably has the answer!

First, some brief backstory: My mother's family, back after the Mass of Paul VI was introduced, went to an independent chapel in Boston which still celebrated the Tridentine Mass and refused to celebrate the Mass of Paul VI. For people from the area who may know, this was the famous Chapel of St. Roger and St. Mary run by Father Keane. Well, Father Keane had his faculties suspended back in 1981. However, nobody in my family knew this. They just thought they were attending the "traditional Mass" and were happy with it.

Now, I was baptized in that chapel and I know that my baptism was illicit but valid. However, my parents were also married in that chapel by this priest. Does the Catholic Church supply the faculties for igonrance of the wedded couple (in the same way they do for confessions when the penitent doesn't know the confessor doesn't have faculties) or do my parents suffer from a lack of form, and therefore aren't actually married?

Yes, they are both baptized Catholics. I'd just be really distraught to hear that they're not actually married :(

[/quote]

Are your parents wondering? If not then you can assume that they have resolved their conscience on the issue and you do not have grounds to worry. But if you are just curious you should inquire at the diocesean marriage counseling offices. No need to bring it up with your parents, it would be uncharitable of you to needlessly cause a doubt to enter their minds. My feeling is that the Marriage was certainly valid since all the other sacraments were valid.

Linus2nd

quote="Domnall, post:1, topic:336484"

[/quote]

Source?

[quote="Linusthe2nd, post:3, topic:336484"]
My feeling is that the Marriage was certainly valid since all the other sacraments were valid.

[/quote]

This is not a matter of feeling. It is a matter of law, of fact. And a marriage celebrated by one who has had their faculties suspended is indeed invalid.

It would be best for the parents to bring the matter to the attention of their pastor and follow his guidance on the matter, which could be either convalidation or radical sanation.

Please do not post sacrament or liturgy questions on TC forum unless it's about the EF.

Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.