My Parish Deacon is

Describe the attributes of your parish deacon!

Why the need to assign labels?

LOL. My deacon seems to be fairly orthodox, but he can’t write a homily to save his life, so I have no idea what he really believes. I like the guy. He’s the father of someone I went to high school with, and I’ve never heard anything heretical from him. I’ve just never heard much from the other end of the spectrum either.

[quote=Melman]Why the need to assign labels?
[/quote]

Hi Melman:

Just trying to get a sense out in the big wide world - what type of Deacon’s we have perserving our faith. I left my beloved parish partly due to our deacon, who quite frankly was so liberal … it was scary.

We now attend a more traditional Catholic Church with a deacon who is surely a Godly Man (Amen).

Thanks@

Melman:

R u a deacon? :confused:

I’d love to answer but our diocese does not have deacons. Apparently our former bishop did not believe in them. There are some in study now.

We have 2 deacons. 1 is quite old and I’ve never heard him give a homily. He assists at Mass and does it well, but I have nothing else to go on re: his orthodoxy.

The second deacon is quite orthodox and a good homilist.

He is unlabeled and unlabelable. You would have to know him to understand.

[quote=pnewton]He is unlabeled and unlabelable. You would have to know him to understand.
[/quote]

Is that good or bad? :eek:

[quote=MGEISING]Just trying to get a sense out in the big wide world - what type of Deacon’s we have perserving our faith.
R u a deacon?

[/quote]

No. All I’m trying to say is that we have all types of people here, and what is “traditional” to one person will definitely be “liberal” to someone else. Since these are such subjective terms, they often lead to arguments.

The idea of the thread is good, and the way you described it “Describe the attributes of your parish deacon!” is cool. I’d have just left it at that.

BTW, our bulletin says we have several deacons in our parish but I rarely see them. They’re not supposed to give homilies, didn’t RS say that?

We don’t have a Deacon… be nice if we did. What difference does it make if they are traditional, liberal or conservative? I’m not sure what your poll is implying with these labels… so even if we had a Deacon I wouldn’t be voting.

[quote=Melman]They’re not supposed to give homilies, didn’t RS say that?
[/quote]

Actually, no. Redemptionis Sacramentum says in paragraph 64:

“The homily, which is given in the course of the celebration of Holy Mass and is a part of the Liturgy itself,142 “should ordinarily be given by the Priest celebrant himself. He may entrust it to a concelebrating Priest or occasionally, according to circumstances, to a Deacon, but never to a layperson.143 In particular cases and for a just cause, the homily may even be given by a Bishop or a Priest who is present at the celebration but cannot concelebrate.”

Most deacons have faculties to preach, which are given by their ordinary, who, in most cases, is the diocesan bishop. Which means, in practical circumstances, that, if the bishop allows them to, and their pastor allows them to, they may preach at Mass.

Now, if the deacon has the faculties to preach, but their pastor keeps them from doing so, that is a different issue, and one which might need to be discussed by the deacon within the structure of their diocese.

[quote=Middlefork]We don’t have a Deacon… be nice if we did. What difference does it make if they are traditional, liberal or conservative? I’m not sure what your poll is implying with these labels… so even if we had a Deacon I wouldn’t be voting.
[/quote]

From what I gathered from the tone of the question:

Traditional Deacon: Wishes there were still altar rails and Latin Mass. Questions Vatican II and modern ecumenical initiatives, etc.

Orthodox Deacon: Holds to all Church teaching and rubrics. Sincerely wants to serve the Lord and his Church. Speaks against abortion, contraception, homosexuality etc.

Liberal Deacon: Questions Church teaching in general. Believes in the possibility of female priests, etc. May make statements that undermine the necessity of the Church

Is that about right?

We have a wonderful deacon at Our Lady Star of the Sea parish. He is a great homilist and very warm and open to people. Our priest, very orthodox, great homilist, is not so open to people, although a wonderful man, so the deacon balances out the pastor’s aloofness.

One of our parishioners is studying to become a deacon - the Seattle Archdiocese has started up this program after many years of absence and this man was chosen from a field of many. I am trusting that God will also gift the new deacon with many charisms.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]From what I gathered from the tone of the question:

Traditional Deacon: Wishes there were still altar rails and Latin Mass. Questions Vatican II and modern ecumenical initiatives, etc.

Orthodox Deacon: Holds to all Church teaching and rubrics. Sincerely wants to serve the Lord and his Church. Speaks against abortion, contraception, homosexuality etc.

Liberal Deacon: Questions Church teaching in general. Believes in the possibility of female priests, etc. May make statements that undermine the necessity of the Church

Is that about right?
[/quote]

That’s also the way I took it.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]From what I gathered from the tone of the question:

Is that about right?
[/quote]

Bingo :thumbsup: Dr. Colossus - thank you! :rolleyes:

[quote=Middlefork]We don’t have a Deacon… be nice if we did. What difference does it make if they are traditional, liberal or conservative? I’m not sure what your poll is implying with these labels… so even if we had a Deacon I wouldn’t be voting.
[/quote]

Believe me, if you had a deacon and he was liberal - you probably would be voting … See Dr. Colossus descriptions!

Thanks for taking the time to stop in though!

We are blessed with a wonderful holy orthodox deacon. He is one of the most humble and good men I have ever met.

[quote=Melman]Why the need to assign labels?
[/quote]

Because there are some bad deacons out there like there are bad priests. I don’t think this is an inappropriate poll.

The deacons at my parish are orthodox, and my permanent deacon :smiley: is also orthodox.

Our parish has two deacons!

I would consider both orthodox, but their homilies are “average” at best. One is newly minted and is still developing his style/material, the other tends to “warm and fuzzy” topics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.