My personal experience defending Pope Benedict XVI

I swear that everything here is true. I want to hear people’s reactions, to know if I did the right thing or if I went too far (I tend to be volatile and argumentative).

I too have heard people at my school (a catholic high school, no less) say that the pope was a Nazi the minute they found out that Ratzinger was pope. Many of my classmates said this. I sternly defended the supreme pontiff. I declared that the pope refused to join the Nazi party, was compelled to join the Hitler Youth (against his vocal protests) and that he deserted the German Army (which he was forced to join) in 1944. That takes extreme courage, especially if you knew that you’d be shot if you were found as a deserter. Upon hearing this, my classmates shut up. (Note, I used a loud but clear, authoritative tone).

Even one of the RELIGION TEACHERS jumped on the bandwagon and made jokes about how when Ratzinger waved to the crowd in St. Peter’s square, that it was a Nazi salute. A TEACHER SAID THIS! Another student came to my defense and said, “Well that was a long time ago”. The teacher responded, “Well what if I murdered someone a long time ago, it doesn’t mean I never did it.”

To which I replied, “Are you saying that Ratzinger’s sins shouldn’t be forgiven, assuming he did commit crimes as a German soldier (and it has been proven that he didn’t)? If the world ran on your logic, no sins would be absolved, including yours, and that would most definetly imply that any man’s soul, especially yours, would recieve guaranteed damnation.”

Upon saying that, the teacher shut up. This was during a break between classes, so there were other teachers in the room. Another teacher said “I don’t think you should be talking to a teacher like that, young man”.

I replied, “I’m not saying this as a student to a teacher; this is from Catholic to Catholic. In defending the integrity of the man chosen by God to lead his Church, age does not matter.”

I may be a mere sophomore, but this mere sophomore elicited a sincere apology from these teachers.

Awesome!:clapping:

Bravo!
You ROCK! You kicked very appropriate butt and I, for one, am 100% proud of you! I don’t think I could’ve done it much better than that. God bless ya and keep ya!
Never stop!
Pax vobiscum,

[quote=rayne89]Awesome!:clapping:
[/quote]

I agree, way to go! :clapping:

And what’s disturbing to me is that this type of person is teaching our young adults :tsktsk:

:thumbsup: Where do they hide kids like you? OUTSTANDING!!!

Keep on sticking up for your beliefs, you are too GREAT!

I could not have done a job like that 1/2 so well and I “Teach”.

You are a Catholic any mother would be proud to call “son”.

:blessyou:

I didn’t realize I’d get such a great response, thanks so much to everyone.

I couldn’t believe it either that a teacher could say things like that, so I felt compelled to defend the pope. My catholic school is on the west coast, so there are lot of liberals. But even considering that, I didn’t expect all this hateful sentiment.

Right before Ratzinger’s papacy was announced by Jorge Card. Estevez (we were watching it live on TV) my religion teacher (not the one who was making Nazi jokes) said to our class, “If it’s Ratzinger, I’m gonna cry”.

An English teacher later that day said, “Ratzinger?! Ratzinger?! What the were they thinking?”

And when someone mentioned Ratzinger’s age being 78, my math teacher said, “That’s the good news.”

I kid you not, much of our faculty was unhappy at the results of this conclave.

Again, many thanks to everyone’s support. I felt alone at school that day, because there was so much dissent over Ratzinger, and I was the only one who openly supported him. All your comments are encouraging; at least I know that there are other people who can resist relativism.

First of all, thank you for defending the Faith. You are a true Catholic-Christian Soldier!

Secondly, I would immediately notify the head of the school of this type of behavior of the teachers. If he/she won’t do anything I’d go to the Bishop.

[quote=Fidei Defensor]I didn’t realize I’d get such a great response, thanks so much to everyone.

I couldn’t believe it either that a teacher could say things like that, so I felt compelled to defend the pope. My catholic school is on the west coast, so there are lot of liberals. But even considering that, I didn’t expect all this hateful sentiment.

Right before Ratzinger’s papacy was announced by Jorge Card. Estevez (we were watching it live on TV) my religion teacher (not the one who was making Nazi jokes) said to our class, “If it’s Ratzinger, I’m gonna cry”.

An English teacher later that day said, “Ratzinger?! Ratzinger?! What the were they thinking?”

And when someone mentioned Ratzinger’s age being 78, my math teacher said, “That’s the good news.”

I kid you not, much of our faculty was unhappy at the results of this conclave.

Again, many thanks to everyone’s support. I felt alone at school that day, because there was so much dissent over Ratzinger, and I was the only one who openly supported him. All your comments are encouraging; at least I know that there are other people who can resist relativism.
[/quote]

As a former Catholic high-school student, my amphaty goes 100% to you. I know how you feel, being virtually alone (well, I had a couple of other friends of like mind) in a Catholic institution rampant with heresies.

Luckily, the director of the Religion Ed. and my Rel. Ed. teacher were very cool and totally orthodox to the max! So I feel safe knowing my alma mater, even though I’m sure she must be a messy battle ground right now, has staunch defenders. :cool:

To the Bishop? Does this really require the attention of an Apostolic Successor?

As a Fidei Defensor myself…I would say that you kicked some major butt against your teachers…you put them in their place. I am always happy and humbled when younger people such as yourself defends the faith against older and misguided Catholics. God Bless

[quote=Fidei Defensor]To the Bishop? Does this really require the attention of an Apostolic Successor?
[/quote]

This is the beauty of the Catholic Church. We have rules that must be followed, and if they are not, you have a hierarchy to deal with the problem.

The school must have a principal. He/she is “over” the teachers, so go to the principal first. If that gets you nowhere, then you go to who is over the school. If it is a parochial school, go to your pastor, since he’s over the principal. If that gets you nowhere, go to your Bishop since he’s over the pastor. If that gets you nowhere, go to Rome! Yes, you can do that and I’ve seen plenty of evidence of people doing just that!! One was answered by Benedict XVI (then Card. Ratzinger).

Document everything with writing. As a matter of fact, you should use letters as your correspondence and keep a copy for yourself so if it does have to go to the Bishop, you have proof of your actions.

God Bless and good luck.

Another personal thumbs up to you FD :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Your post gave me an ear-to-ear grin. We’re proud of you!

How do some of your student peers feel about Benedict XVI? Have they been brainwashed by the faculty you mentioned?

SG257

Right on dude!! I have had the same experience at my Jesuit High. Teachers and students alike have had an absolute field day. If anyone else gives you trouble, kindly remind them that the decision was guided by the Holy Spirit (though that argument has been most effective for me when the other party actually subscribes to the faith). I think that is awesome (and maybe it’s my slight affinity for dissent against any authority that disrespects me or my beliefs, but I love how you silenced the teacher, party on! But, thus is the case when you can back up what you are saying, which you can! Great job :yup: ).

Eamon

[quote=chadwilliams]The school must have a principal. He/she is “over” the teachers, so go to the principal first. If that gets you nowhere, then you go to who is over the school. If it is a parochial school, go to your pastor, since he’s over the principal. If that gets you nowhere, go to your Bishop since he’s over the pastor.
[/quote]

Actually, my school is run by the Christian Brothers of St. John-Baptist De La Salle, so my principal is a Christian Brother. However, the school itself is under the supervision of the diocese of Oakland (California). I’m getting confirmed in a few months so I guess I could talk to my Bishop (the Most Rev. Allen Vigneron).

[quote=stargazer257] How do some of your student peers feel about Benedict XVI? Have they been brainwashed by the faculty you mentioned?
[/quote]

Like I’ve said, I live in the San Francisco bay area (where liberals and relativists thrive), so many of my peers, though Catholic, disagree with about 80% of what the Church teaches. This one person in my class came in on April 23 (the day after Ratzinger won) and the first thing out of her mouth was “I hate the new pope! He was a Nazi, he’s against feminism, and he looks really creepy!”

Of course, I wasn’t gonna stand there and take it, so I disproved her allegations with clear counter-examples. It turns out she was just making assumptions based on what she heard on the news.

Well keep defending the faith, the truth shouldn’t be kept from them. As you plant those seeds of truth amongst your peers, with the help of the Holy Spirit, they may slowly bloom.

Even the faculty may be touched. You may not see the fruit of your labor, but we all know someone who will :wink: .

SG257

[quote=Fidei Defensor]Actually, my school is run by the Christian Brothers of St. John-Baptist De La Salle,
[/quote]

Another common factor! my high school was a Christian Brothers’ school, too! :thumbsup:

[quote=mrS4ntA] Another common factor! my high school was a Christian Brothers’ school, too!
[/quote]

May I ask, which Christian Brothers School did you attend?

[quote=Fidei Defensor] This one person in my class came in on April 23 (the day after Ratzinger won) and the first thing out of her mouth was “I hate the new pope! He was a Nazi, he’s against feminism, and he looks really creepy!”

Of course, I wasn’t gonna stand there and take it, so I disproved her allegations with clear counter-examples. It turns out she was just making assumptions based on what she heard on the news.
[/quote]

Keep it up! I love to hear you defending our faith and standing behind our Priest, Bishops and the Pope. You are doing what we Knights of Columbus are asked to do. Whan you get old enough, you should consider joining the Knights. We need men like you in our ranks! Thanks again for staying true to the Faith. God Bless!

[quote=Fidei Defensor]May I ask, which Christian Brothers School did you attend?
[/quote]

Aquinas College; Perth, Western Australia! :thumbsup:

Good for you with such a stirring defense. You did get them to shut up and it might be worth dropping the issue unless it is raised again.

I have had my own recent brawls with non-Catholics on similar issues. The last issue concerned the good old chestnut - “the one thing I disagree with is not allowing people in poor countries to use contraception”. Besides using a little bit of unladylike language to express my displeasure I pointed out the obvious that the Catholic Church is not responsible for poverty in the third world, especially in the African nations were the Muslims are in the majority. This caused the woman to respond that she was talking about the poor in the South American countries. Someone else came up with the response at that point, that in the South American countries the poverty is caused by the exploitation of the poor. The Catholic Church is not responsible for that exploitation.

I really do not get these arguments concerning contraception and the blame that is being placed upon the Bishop of Rome, because there are poor families where there are a lot of children. The reason that I not get these arguments relates to the fact that there is only one way to stop having the children, or even to not have children outside of wedlock. However, people do not want to hear what that might be. Even the argument about condoms is wearing thin on me because the use of condoms is just another signal that people do not respect each other.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.