My Pet Peeve regarding The Immaculate Conception

I just found an interview with the Archbishop of Canterbury (Rowan Williams) in which he seems to be confusing the Virgin Birth and the Immaculate Conception.

This drives me BONKERS! GAH!!!

You know why it bothers me? Because it implies that the Catholic Church teaches that sex is dirty. You know, because if a virgin birth is “immaculate” then we all must be the offspring of something dirty. :rolleyes:

Link to interview:

foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317885,00.html

Greetings Hopeful,

Actually from what I read, it is the REPORTER who confuses the two.

As to the statement that the Church teaches sex is dirty, that would violate it’s Tradition:

“Let the husband fulfill his duties to his wife and likewise the wife to her husband…” 1 Cor 7:3

"And God blessed Noah and his sons ans said to them “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth…” Gen 9:1

and

“The acts in marriage by which the intimate and chaste union of the spouses takes place are noble and honorable…Sexuality is a source of joy and pleasure” CCC 2362

I try not to get bogged down in what is printed in Secular press, it will always be twisted or contain error (as you pointed out confusing the Immaculate Conception with the Virgin Birth).

Thank the Lord for EWTN and other Christian Networks to help us sort through the daily “news” of the world.

Sincerely in Christ,
Corrgc

It’s not the Archbishop who confuses the two, it’s the reporter. Twice the reporter calls the Virgin Birth by the term immaculate conception.

If you link to the original interview in the Telegraph, the Archbishop and the person interviewing him refer only to the Virgin Birth.

His comments that belief in the virgin birth is not necessary are quite troublesome, but he does not confuse virgin birth and immaculate conception.

My Pet Peeve is the sentimental argument for the Immaculate Conception–If you could grant that gift to your mother–wouldn’t you grant it?

Of course I would but I would do the same for my father, too–even if he was only a step father.

I believe in the Immaculate Conception and there are many great arguments for it–my pet peeve is the sentimental ones!

Well, that possibility had occurred to me… it does come to me as a relief!

It just bugs, bugs, bugs me when people do that! :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.