My point-by-point review of felidae

hello, i made a video review of this movie to see if i can make this a regular thing. im interested in making a series out of this little hobby of mine. i made another video a while ago, posted it here, and got good fedback from it.
for those who have not seen it, here it is. my Kids movie test

and heres my review of Felidae
part 1
part 2
part 3

i would like to here some opinions on this. what jokes worked, which didn't work, jokes you would have made, my editing and commentary. but please forgive the lenght; 36 min. i did get a little carried away

I am very sad that children’s cartoons are cruel and gruesome as the those talked about and shown. I wouldn’t want my children or grandchildren watching any of those. What a waste of cartooning talent by those who created the cartoons. Some of the language also! The subject matter of this movie is far from what I would wish my young ones to be thinking about or influenced by. Perhaps the target audience is supposed to be adult!

However, that aside, I hope you do well in your efforts and career. :slight_smile:
You do appear to enjoy yourself! :slight_smile:

On a personal note:

You did a great job! Creative, with humor, with good presentation. :)

Thanks Trishie
its interesting that you mention it as being a waste of cartooning talent, as i made this for a youth group icebreaker and it lead to "why would they make it to look ok for kids". But i will say that watership down and plague dogs are actually not too bad, though its still intended for a more mature audience.

i'd hate to bump my own topic like this but i would really like some more feedback. ive been advised to make a shorter version of this. which, instead of point-by-point, will be more like a regular review (though still edited with clips from the movie), where ill talk about certain elements like story, characters, voice acting. i would like to know what you think i should take about, as i must make a time limit for myself and stuff may end up on the cutting room floor.

[quote="I_R, post:1, topic:270680"]
hello, i made a video review of this movie to see if i can make this a regular thing. im interested in making a series out of this little hobby of mine. i made another video a while ago, posted it here, and got good fedback from it.
for those who have not seen it, here it is. my Kids movie test

and heres my review of Felidae
part 1
part 2
part 3

i would like to here some opinions on this. what jokes worked, which didn't work, jokes you would have made, my editing and commentary. but please forgive the lenght; 36 min. i did get a little carried away

[/quote]

I wish I had seen this post earlier. I think you did a great job, I_R!

I also reviewed Felidae on my own a few years back. Many people were telling me how much they liked it. I disliked the film... a lot!

I love animation, but this stuff is horrible compared to some of the wonderful animation work that has been produced over the years.

[quote="Sonic, post:6, topic:270680"]
I wish I had seen this post earlier. I think you did a great job, I_R!

[/quote]

thanks

I also reviewed Felidae on my own a few years back. Many people were telling me how much they liked it. I disliked the film... a lot! .

you know, looking at the youtube comments i thought i was the only one who hated this. also, did this film get released in theaters here or was it a DVD release?

[quote="I_R, post:7, topic:270680"]
thanks

you know, looking at the youtube comments i thought i was the only one who hated this. also, did this film get released in theaters here or was it a DVD release?

[/quote]

I think it was released directly to VHS and Laserdisc in the United States years ago. It may have appeared in German theaters back in the nineties.

well of course it wasnt DVD, i dont know what i was thinking. but it sure have better been in german theaters as it is the most expensive animated film germany produced.

also, can i ask for your more specific opinion on my video. you know, stuff you like stuff you didnt like

[quote="I_R, post:9, topic:270680"]
also, can i ask for your more specific opinion on my video. you know, stuff you like stuff you didnt like

[/quote]

If it were up to me, I would try to mention my main talking points at the beginning, and then try to review those points again at the end in order to cement them in audience's mind. As you review, the audience can better follow you as you present each point to them.

I'd also tighten up the commentary and concentrate on main points. Right now, the review is probably too long for most internet viewers attention spans. It's not really necessary to have a play by play commentary on the video. You just need to give enough of a review to allow the audience to form their own opinions based on the red flags you put up. Take a look at Michael Vorris's videos on Real Catholic TV and take a look at how the company formats their internet broadcasts. Notice how Michael hammers out his points and you have no trouble remembering what was said at the end.

I definitely like your attempts to be witty. That's a good point, but it can be lost on the audience if you come off too cynical. You want to smile more if you can. Videos are much better if they are entertaining as well as informative.

As for the technical side, you definitely have to work on lighting and audio if at all possible. It's definitely something to shoot for even if it's not possible now. The more unprofessional a video appears: the less likely someone's go to sit through it. Make sure you're in the same location or appear to be in the same location whenever you on screen. That can be a little distracting.

You're editing is great, btw.

Try these old movie reviews on for size, also. They are not as informative as your videos, but there is a reason why these guys lasted so long on television.

Siskel and Ebert review Wyatt Earp:

youtube.com/watch?v=wXZaI8GyZpI

‪Funny People Movie Review (Gene Shalit) from The Today Show‬:

youtube.com/watch?v=MTRC2n2zI0Q

i'd like to thank you for your feedback. now i know its mind numbingly long, but i figure that if i release one video every two weeks then i might be able to get away with the long lenght as well as give me more time with other projects. though i still might make a shorter version anyway. also i like being very detailed about things, as i believe in leaving no stone unturned. this video was an attempt at a point-by-point review and im going to play around with different styles of videos, with my general theme being highly detailed. as far as the technical side, im pretty grounded with what i have.

and remember its techically not a bump, as i didnt post twice in a row.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.