My Prayer Story

It looks like this forum is going to be hard work. So I will share one of my Prayer stories in the hope that it will inspire someone to help me with my prayers. I will start with my first prayer story which God gave me some eight or nine years ago. The piece of Scripture is the following:

1 Kings 19:11-13 (New International Version)
11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. 12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 13 When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

The story starts in a cave, I am lying down and asleep as I wake up I notice that I am in a cave. There are two exits one leads into a desert, and I definitely do not want to go that way. So I look out the other exit and there is a great turmoil out there, of mountains being torn apart by a wind, the earth is splitting and fires rage. 
I say out loud, 'I'm not venturing that way.'
A gentle whispering voice replies, 'Do not be afraid, for I am with you.'
I immediately recognise it as God speaking, so I step outside. Nothing touches me, as rocks, trees, pieces of mountain and fire surround me.
I ask aloud, 'Why am I here?'
The gentle voice replies, 'During your life you will encounter many troubles, some where your world is falling apart; not literally like what you see now, but it will feel like that. So I have given you that cave to come to at any time.

As you know one exit leads into a desert, there you can go like my Son Jesus did and face temptations. Do not trust to yourself when you go out there, take my son Jesus with you every time.
'The second exit will lead you to your prayers, where you will encounter different aspects of Scripture or life, which will include nice things or troubled times. Sometimes my Son Jesus will be involved or one of the Saints or people that you will meet in your life. Some scenes will be from Scripture where you will be able to participate or spectate. I will be always there to answer your questions.'
I was amazed and astounded at that reassurance and I began to feel at peace. I watched the surroundings for a while and then turned around and entered the cave.

Ever since that first story I went back again and again. I would love my prayer stories to continue. I only have that one and fragments of others, which I would love to create again. I probably need a lot of prayer for myself and I know God is abundantly rich in His giving, however I cannot go forward until I really know God is with. I would love a sign from God to continue forward with a sincere heart and a positiveness. Perhaps a Spiritual Director is out of reach for me now, but I just feel that there is someone out there that could somehow encourage. I am sure my imaginative powers are ready for God's use and I am willing to go forward with God.

What is a prayer story.

Someone asked me once what is a prayer story. If you read the above piece the story is based on the Scripture, I may be unique at doing it, I am not sure. When I shared it with my Spiritual Director at the time, they reckoned it must be a gift that God gave me and to use it wisely, which I did for sometime. I did not become bored of it I seemed to dry up and left me wondering if I would pick it up again. Where the term prayer story came from I'm not sure, perhaps God gave me the title. I hope I'm not the only one gifted with this technique, I am sure there are others out there. Of course I did say I was unorthodox which could be an answer.

I don’t know much about what you write about Ian.

But, I wonder if you could try to put yourself in different places while thinking about your prayer story?

What would the story be like if you changed the setting? Say, a nursing home?

Or a hospital, maybe the pediatric wing? Or a food pantry?

Would you get “more” out of your story, or not?

I wonder what differences if any there would be. Of course, I would also bring the story to happy events too, and see if the story is still giving you the same reactions. A happy wedding, an anniversary, a graduation.

KWIM?

Compare and analyze.

technique

You mean the title, right?

Several people have told me they enjoyed this conversion story written by the poet, Chris Wyman. Perhaps it might inspire you also.

payingattentiontothesky.com/2009/07/30/conversion-stories-my-bright-abyss/

dj

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.