My priest is going to think im crazy-how often to go to Confession?

I was baptized Eatser Vigil. Made my first confession one week later. I had to becuz i was in a state of mortal sin. And he willingly heard it. But now i have to go again one week later for my second Confession as i cannot recieve Communion or die in the state i am in. :( im afraid hes gonna look at me like im crazy when i ask him to hear it again. (Which i will) :( how often should i go to Confession.i seriouslu could go more often than once a week. Is it a lot to have to go once a week?

One can go "as needed" and even devotionally on a regular basis (weekly, every 2 weeks, monthly)

I go every week. Helps one work on ones venial sins and live ones baptism.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:322757"]
I was baptized Eatser Vigil. Made my first confession one week later. I had to becuz i was in a state of mortal sin. And he willingly heard it. But now i have to go again one week later for my second Confession as i cannot recieve Communion or die in the state i am in. :( im afraid hes gonna look at me like im crazy when i ask him to hear it again. (Which i will) :( how often should i go to Confession.i seriouslu could go more often than once a week. Is it a lot to have to go once a week?

[/quote]

I was also baptized this Easter Vigil. I made my first confession yesterday because I though I might have comitted a mortal sin. I explained to Father the situation and he told me I did not. Whew! I figured better safe than sorry though. I also wonder how often I should go to confession. I currently plan to go maybe 2 times a month even if I am not aware of any mortal sins. I have heard people say they go every week, Im sure any priest would be use to that. I would not worry about him looking at you like you are crazy. If you need to confess, you need to confess.

Pope Pius XII went to confession every day. I believe Bl. John Paul II went once a week. Both Pontiffs encouraged the faithful to go frequently. Not to be scrupulous, of course. But if you need it, you need it. Don't worry about lowering the priest's opinion of you. Just get the medicine you need. Our Lord loves when we turn to him in faith...

[/quote]

Pope John Paul II went to confession twice a week for years.

You are in very good company indeed for going often.:thumbsup:

Whenever you are in a state of mortal sins or, I wouyld say, even if you think you are, go confess. The Priest has heard everything and unless you go and confess things that aren't mortal sins continuously over and over again, he will not think you are crazy or anything else. He struggles with sin the same way that you do.

If the Priest does object for some reason then I would look for another confessor.

As for me, I have a very good grasp of mortal sins and what constitutes them. If I commit one, I confess.

Promptly:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Go to confession whenever you feel you need to. Simple as that.

Some people feel they need to confess regularly, perhaps each week, or month; some people go only when they know they have commited a mortal sin. I'm more inclined towards the latter - I wouldn't want to think I had commited a mortal sin but be of the mindset that 'it's OK - only a few more days until I'm due for a confession'.

If you are in genuine doubt about whether a sin is mortal or not it is best to confess it, and ask a priest about it when you get the chance, so you will know in the future.

All the best

Martin

I would say, as a guideline, not to go more than once a day.

You should also go no less than every other month.

My whole family tries to go weekly.

Ok thanks! And please please pray that I will be given the courage to approach the priest and confess my sins .

[quote="Martin15, post:6, topic:322757"]
Go to confession whenever you feel you need to. Simple as that.

Some people feel they need to confess regularly, perhaps each week, or month; some people go only when they know they have commited a mortal sin. I'm more inclined towards the latter - I wouldn't want to think I had commited a mortal sin but be of the mindset that 'it's OK - only a few more days until I'm due for a confession'.

If you are in genuine doubt about whether a sin is mortal or not it is best to confess it, and ask a priest about it when you get the chance, so you will know in the future.

All the best

Martin

[/quote]

I second this response. Be careful not to fall into scrupulosity.

:gopray2:

[/quote]

Once a week is fine. As you progress in your faith journey, you will develop a better sense of what needs to be confessed as soon as possible (all mortal sins) and what can wait for the next available opportunity. Your priest is not concerned with how often you go to confession. Welcome Home!

[quote="Evan, post:7, topic:322757"]
I would say, as a guideline, not to go more than once a day.

You should also go no less than every other month.

[/quote]

The Church teaches that you should go when in the state of mortal sin and that everyone should go at least once a year.

Go as often as you need to. Also, ask the priest for guidance to make sure you aren't scrupling. (Scrupulosity is a condition that causes someone to see sin where there is none. People who suffer from it may find themselves in Confession constantly, frequently over already confessed or imagined sins, or cutting themselves off from all the sacraments in despair.)

Frequent confession is very good. But, and this is a truly important question: How do you know that you are in mortal sin? Did you, with full knowledge of the serious nature of the offense, and with the full and deliberate consent of your will, turn away from and reject God?

Consider the possibility that you may be subject to scrupulosity (which is pretty common, actually). Please ask your Priest about the nature of what you think is mortal sin - as it may not be. I would also counsel you to ask him about scruples, as they can become the sin if we allow them to.

Here is a great guide for avoiding scrupulosity: fathersofmercy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ten-Commandments-to-Guard-Against-Scrupulosity.pdf

[quote="po18guy, post:15, topic:322757"]
Here is a great guide for avoiding scrupulosity: fathersofmercy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ten-Commandments-to-Guard-Against-Scrupulosity.pdf

[/quote]

Thanks for posting that. Haven't seen that one before. Here's another.

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

[quote="StudentMI, post:16, topic:322757"]
Thanks for posting that. Haven't seen that one before. Here's another.

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

[/quote]

The reason I mention this is that scruples have their origin in doubt - and doubt has its origin in the evil one. As James teaches us "Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7)

Thanks and i am extremely scrupulous. But i have deliberately commited sins of grave matter this week.

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:9, topic:322757"]
Ok thanks! And please please pray that I will be given the courage to approach the priest and confess my sins .

[/quote]

Don't worry, I'm a cradle Catholic and I also wonder if the priest will think wierd of me or something. It's just our human nature of insecurity. It can also be a sign that you are sorry for your sins as well. Just keep the goal in mind, eternal life :).

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:18, topic:322757"]
Thanks and i am extremely scrupulous. But i have deliberately commited sins of grave matter this week.

[/quote]

Instead of looking for help on the internet you should be discussing these concerns with a priest and/or the people who are walking with you in your RCIA journey.

If you are scrupulous, you need to have ONE regular confessor, and OBEY him and only him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.