My problems with the Church.

Hell Guys,

I’m Tomm a Catholic in the North east of england.

Firstly please do escuse my poor spelling, I do try.

So i’ve been compelled to come on here to share my thoughts, mostly becuase I feel at a loose end. I am a Catholic (19 years old) but it has always been my belief that god gave us a brain and therefore we should question things are think are wrong within the church, rather than blindly following.

Recenatly I have been struggling with the contridictions within the church and wondering if it really does do more good than it does bad. The only reason I haven’t completely turned my back on the church is becuase I believe in god, I just think the churches take on how to do things is completely antiquated.

I can’t comprehend how the church thinks its ok to remain set in its ways with regards to contriception when they are killing thousands. By not changing with the time, they are killing people and need to take responsibility for this!

I can only imagine how rejected homosexual people feel with the Churches reluctance to acccept them. I mean come on, its 2013! I hear prayers at mass about ‘praying people who feel misguided that they find god’ etc etc. But then the church make homosexuals feel like outcasts within the church just becuase of the way they are born.

I’ve spoke to my priest which was helpful but after that all I could think is its all well and good talking about things that are wrong within the church but what am I atchally going to DO about it?

Well I don’t know what I am going to do but I thought venting my thoughts on here might help.

=Reducko;11035108]Hell Guys,

I’m Tomm a Catholic in the North east of england.

Firstly please do escuse my poor spelling, I do try.

Hello glad your here.

So i’ve been compelled to come on here to share my thoughts, mostly becuase I feel at a loose end. I am a Catholic (19 years old) but it has always been my belief that god gave us a brain and therefore we should question things are think are wrong within the church, rather than blindly following.

To have questions about things is normal and good. To reject the answers because you don’t like them is another thing all together.

Recenatly I have been struggling with the contridictions within the church and wondering if it really does do more good than it does bad. The only reason I haven’t completely turned my back on the church is becuase I believe in god, I just think the churches take on how to do things is completely antiquated.

There is no contridiction within the church. What appears to be a contridiction is our human failings to completly understand god’s Love and Law.

I can’t comprehend how the church thinks its ok to remain set in its ways with regards to contriception when they are killing thousands. By not changing with the time, they are killing people and need to take responsibility for this!

What thousands are you referring to that the Church is Killing? The Church cna not Change what god has ordained. Contriception goes against God’s plan on what the marital act is. It attempts to remove the unitive aspects.

I can only imagine how rejected homosexual people feel with the Churches reluctance to acccept them. I mean come on, its 2013! I hear prayers at mass about ‘praying people who feel misguided that they find god’ etc etc. But then the church make homosexuals feel like outcasts within the church just becuase of the way they are born.

The Church does not reject those with same sex attraction. What the church does reject is to accept sin. Sex out side of marriage regaurdless of the fo teh gender of those involved is a sin. Carried out to the next point since marriage, a true marriage, can onlu be between a man and a woman, people of the same sex can not marry therefore sex between them would be sinful.

I’ve spoke to my priest which was helpful but after that all I could think is its all well and good talking about things that are wrong within the church but what am I atchally going to DO about it?

My advice as to what you should do is pray for God to remove the confusion from you.

Well I don’t know what I am going to do but I thought venting my thoughts on here might help.

Peace be with you.

Oh dear.

Sorry you are talking complete rubbish and its because of opinions such as yours why the church is the way it is.

Its useless aruging with you if you think that everything within the church should be followed without question.

Who says God says that marriage between two people of the same sex is wrong. Who says its a sin.

My advice to you is to stop blindly following and think for yourself. See what is wrong!

God does. We have his written word and the word of the Church. It isn’t blind if you actually look at the Church’s arguments and understand them.

Truth is something that is always true and can never change. What was once a sin remains a sin, no matter on the times.

Also, in what way is the Church killing people by saying that contraception is wrong? I see nowhere in the news anything about the Church killing people because of contraception, so please show me how the Church is killing people and your sources to back it up.

The Church doesn’t have a problem with homosexuals and are more than welcoming of homosexuals. The Church only has a problem with homosexual activities, which God has revealed is sinful. If you believe in God, then why not follow the Bible, that which is God’s word? How can you not see how homosexual acts go against nature? Again, I don’t have a problem with homosexuals, but I do have a problem with sin.

You saying that “come on, it’s 2013”, why should that matter with something that is true. “2+2=4” is true, and will always be true and is not dependent on the times. The same goes for what is sin. Objective morality does not change with the times. We are to conform to God’s will. If you believe in God, and want to do God’s will, you should follow the Church. No one says you do it blindly, but you at least owe it to God and the Church to actually look into the Church’s arguments and see what they have to say about it instead of blindly following the secular world and following your emotions to the discredit of facts and truth, which just results in you being a hypocrite.

Sorry you felt the need to attack instead of have a discussion. It is obvious that you have disided that you know more at 19 then 2000 years of teaching and those men that have study there whole lives on that 2000 years of teaching do. May Gods grace find you.

I do not follow Blindly I follow because as the apostles said the Christ when he asked if they were going to leave him to they Reponded " were shall we go. for you have the Truth." That thruth is still in the Church.

Eep. I’m almost frightened for you regarding the responses you’ll receive here. Because of the views you’ve shared, you’ll always be in opposition with Church teachings. Don’t get me wrong – a majority of American Catholics, for example, use birth control and support gay marriage. So although I don’t know what the stats are in your country, it’s doubtful you’ll be alone. But do expect some ugliness around these parts. There are organizations for Catholics who want change in the Church regarding same-sex marriage, abortion, birth control, etc., and you can find them online. I just wouldn’t come here for support, as you’re bound to be told that you’re aligned with the demonic.

I would advise you do the same.

A challenge for you, if you’re really a thinking man. Read the Bible, cover to cover, and do the same with the catechism of the church. Forget what people tell you about sex and learn for yourself exactly what the Bible and the church have to say about it. Once you have a full understanding of this, then feel free to present an argument against the church’s position on the matter.

Reducko,
Long ago, I thought like you are thinking now. I was not raised Catholic, I had no idea why the Church taught what it did, I believed my mother when she said old celibate men should not decide for us…

I’m sure, gven my other opinions and ideas, that I would have railed against the Church’s antagonism of two people sharing their love for each other in same-sex marriage had that been so much as an idea on the horizon at that time (guess I’m dating myself with that info ;))

But here I am, by the grace of a loving God, Catholic and believing all that the Church teaches.

What happened? I started thinking for myself and not accepting with blind faith everything the secular world said. The first crack in my thinking was the absurd idea that the US should disarm itself at a time when the Soviet Union was still rattling its saber.

The second crack was seeing how all those calling for liberation for people were calling for an awfully narrow area in which to be liberated. If a woman like me wanted to stay home and raise her children, the feminists considered her a traitor. Heaven forbid that a black person in the US say sometime that hadn’t been approved by the progressive movement!

Gradually God drew me towards Him, first showing me the utter absurdity of evolution, then the need for His help and grace. Little by little I came closer. Having a family and seeing the importance of its integration and cohesion moved me along further.

Then I read a book which presented the reasoning behind the Chirch’s prohibition on birth control, which also covered why sexual acts outside of a marriage between a man and a woman were wrong. This book also explained other things about Catholicism and so I returned to the Church into which I had been baptised.

Because I was open-minded and willing to look at evidence, I was able to see that I had been wrong about many things. Because I was willing to think for myself, because I believed that finding the truth was more important than keeping to my old ideas or continuing to think in the same way as many people around me, God was able to lead me to His truth (not that I do not give Him credit for my openmindedness and desire for truth :)).

So Reducko, you are at an age where you want to understand rather than to just accept whatever you decide to believe in, and that is perfectly normal. What would be strange would be if you continued to accept the Faith you have been raised in as if younwere still a child.

But what you need to understand is that no matter how you feel about things, there is an actual truth, a truth you ought to search for and grapple with until you can live with it once you have found it.

And that will take a willingness to consider matters as adults do: listening, weighing evaluating, sorting… consider who benefits by saying this? Consider what advantages there are for that? Sift the self-serving propaganda from what actually helps the world. Ask yourself why, if a new idea seems so good, it was never accepted before?

But most of all, as you embark on this quest, remain openminded and willing to listen until you understand what the others are saying, and you can evaluate and decide.

I hope that you will stay here and be willing to discuss your questions :slight_smile: Welcome to CAF!

I have to ask,given this post,why are YOU on this forum?

Did I share any of my own beliefs in my response to the OP? Additionally, CAF is open to members of various beliefs. I simply suggest that someone who wants affirmation in beliefs that violate Church teaching look elsewhere.

Because God loves us He gave us a Church with teaching authority (Magisterium), Sacred Scripture, and Tradition with a capital T. That can be called a three-legged stool,…it can stand up!

The Church is the Body of Christ given to us by the Lord. We, the Body of Christ, can change the world, by the grace of the Lord. The world is not supposed to change us. God is love, and when we disobey his Church and think our way is better, then something is awry.

The Lord’s teachings are for our salvation. We need to echo His love and teachings to the world, even at the cost of persecution. We have all the means to grow in sanctity…we can pray for humility and wisdom and put on the mind of Christ.

What do you mean about the Church killing thousands? That doesn’t make any sense at all. In regards to contraception, you should read Pope Paul VI’s Humanae Vitae. He wrote about the evils of contraception (i.e. women who use contraception are no longer seen as human beings, but as sexual objects by men. When birth control is used, a man can sleep with any random woman he encounters. There is no love, respect, or dignity present. That is just lust, which is a sin condemned by Christ in the Bible (Matt. 5). Paul VI tried to warn us about not becoming someone’s one night-stand or booty-call, because it’s awful being used that way.

I, myself, have same-sex attraction. However, I am living according to the teachings of the Bible and The Church. I am living a chaste life and I’m really happy:) I guess you can say that the only man I want and need in my life is Jesus Christ. I choose not to call myself a homosexual because I don’t want to be labelled that way. I refuse to let sexual orientation define who I am. Also. I’ve never felt like an outcast at the Church that I regularly attend. The people are very conservative (they oppose euthanasia, gay marriage, abortion, etc.) and they treat me like a brother in Christ.

I don’t know,did you? Your response leads me to believe that you did!:shrug:

Great Post. Thank you for sharing Allen.

Yeah, I really have no idea why you’re reading into my posts. :shrug:

Well, you’ve absorbed a lot of modern thought which is widely propagated. I’d recommend some countercultural viewpoints. You might want to start with this book.

Hmm,Your response to the OP,in my opinion,had a very harsh tone in reference to the conservative nature of this forum,and by cnservsative I don’t mean political,but adherance to the teachings and tenants of our Catholic faith. I sensed you were bashing this site as being too lock step with the Church.

With all due respect, I don’t think the following requires interpretation:

“I just wouldn’t come here for support, as you’re bound to be told that you’re aligned with the demonic.”

I don’t think this person is aligned with the demonic. Some clarification and the answers given so far have been good.

Peace,
Ed

I don’t think I’ll play your silly little game, even with the bad spelling and all. Seems you can misspell when you want to, Prayers and God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.