My RCIA Catechist said we no longer follows the Old but the New Testament

I have read the Old testament and there are many helpful tips in it. How could he said that we no longer follow the Old Testament? I think the Old testament is still useful in our spiritual development.

We are no longer held by the old law. Jesus established a new covenant. That’s why the role of Israel is no longer relevant, the church is the new Israel.

Then ask him why there are Old Testament readings and Psalms at Mass.

The Net Testament is hidden in the Old and the Old is revealed in the New. Vatican II. Tell your RCIA Catechist that his statement is to simple to cover the reality. My actions are governed by the church.

In his letter to the Romans, St Paul describes the relationship of the Gentiles to the Jews:

if some of the branches were broken off, and you, a wild olive shoot, were grafted in their place and have come to share in the rich root of the olive tree,
do not boast against the branches. If you do boast, consider that you do not support the root; the root supports you.

Some people sometimes emphasize the broken branches being replaced by the new, while others talk about our dependence on the rich root we have joined. The rich, nourishing root of our faith includes the whole experience of the Jews, including their sacred scriptures. It sustains us.

It’s still included in the Bible. There is still an OT reading and the psalms are in the OT.

In the OT our relationship with God was in following a number of laws. In the NT our relationship with God changed. It was about freedom from sin. An old covenant replaced with a new covenant.

I think he meant the old laws e.g sacrificing doves etc and those stuff in Levicitus

That isn’t what I understand the teaching of the Church to be.
The Catechism clearly says of the Old Testament that it is, he ‘an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.’ (I.3.iv.121)
It goes on to teach that the Old and New Testaments are a unity (I.3.iv.134) and God is the author of the Old as much as the New (I.3.iv.136) so it is without error.

Exactly. The New Testament fulfills the Old Testament. It does not dismiss or override it; perhaps it is better to say it incorporates it, expands it. Look at adultery for example:

Proverbs 6:32 - [But] whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he [that] doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

Matthew 5:28 - But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Hebrews 13:4 - Marriage [is] honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

Matthew 19:9 - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Exodus 20:14 - Thou shalt not commit adultery.

1 Corinthians 6:18 - Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.

Proverbs 6:24-29 - To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.

1 Corinthians 10:13 - There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

Deuteronomy 22:22 - If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, [both] the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel.

Luke 16:18 - Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.

John 8:4-11 - They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

Matthew 5:32 - But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

1 Corinthians 7:1-40 - Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: [It is] good for a man not to touch a woman.

Matthew 5:27-28 - Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

Ephesians 5:5 - For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Romans 7:3 - So then if, while [her] husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

I think you misunderstood him.

We are no longer bound by the ceremonial laws of the OT, like the animal sacrifices, clothing, and dietary rules.

But obviously yes, reading the OT is immensely helpful and fruitful for our spiritual development, just like the NT.

It doesn’t sound like your teacher said we aren’t to read the OT.

The OT gives us our history, Psalms, wisdom, and prophetic literature, which is why we keep reading it.

Or, maybe he mis-spoke. Or, maybe he has a bit of a misunderstanding. :man_shrugging:

Now, isn’t that the joy of CAF?

We never know what’s going on, what the context is, or who is right and who’s wrong. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’re always misunderstanding and being misunderstood. :crazy_face:

But we like to give our opinions anyway! :laughing:

Yep, could be any of those.

I suspect that your RCIA catechist has opted to follow a rule which – so people say – was taught to young newspaper reporters in the old days. “First simplify, then exaggerate.”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.