My recent return to faith and the church

Good day to you all,

I am fairly new here, but, as I stated in my introductory post in the meet and greet, I am very glad I found these forums. :slight_smile:

I hope this is the right place to post these types of things, but forgive me if it is not. I’m wondering about a few things, and also wondering if there is anyone here who has experienced similar.

Brief rundown. I am a very happily married man, who has a beautiful loving wife of nearly 19years. We have a 5 year old daughter, and another on the way. :slight_smile: For the past 30 years or so of my life, I have been, how can I put it, not true to my faith, the church, or well, much of anything to do with religion. I was raised Catholic, attended CCD, first communion, confirmation etc., but never really took a huge interest. It’s almost as though I have used the church out of procedure, more than actual belief over the years. i.e., weddings, funerals, baptism etc. That’s not to say I have not thought about God in some form or another, nearly every day of my life, I have just never truly practiced, or concerned myself with much more than the most basic obligations.

Fast forward to a few months ago. Something has literally changed inside me and I am not sure what has caused it. I found myself attending mass, for the first time in quite some time, with my wife and daughter. After that particular mass, I had a tremendous urge to begin re-learning about the church, religion, and my Catholic faith. I began attending mass regularly, and the feeling simply keeps growing. Over the past weeks, I have begun studying things like the order of mass, the meaning of all that goes on along with many other things, including reading of the bible. I actually went out and picked up a new copy, NAB version, at my local Bible book store and looked for one that felt “just right” to me. :slight_smile: I also phone my parish and scheduled a one on one confession with our priest. (This will be my first in a very, very long time, and I wanted to make sure I did this right).

Along with this, I have had a profound feeling, almost of obligation, to do even more. Once I feel more comfortable with scripture, procedure and prayer and understanding it, I’m thinking of looking into volunteering at my parish, and possibly pursuing becoming a lector or something similar.

Do I sound crazy here? For nearly 30 years of my 40 year life, I have shown as much interest in even going to church as I have in poking out my own eyes. Then suddenly, I can’t get enough. I WANT to learn more, do more and share more than I ever have. Perhaps it is something to do with my unborn child, although I don’t understand why this did not happen to me previously. I just don’t know, but I do know I like the way it feels. What I mean by that, again, not trying to sound nuts here, but when I get up in the morning, I just feel “good”. I get in the car on the way to work, I see the orange hue of the sun on the horizen, and I can’t help but feel happy. (And yes, I’m one of those who would normally be in the car, drinking my coffee, blowing the horn at the guy in front of me who won’t get out of the way). :o

Anyway, I could probably go no forever, and much longer than I could hold anyone’s attention, but I wanted to just get this out there. Again, I found these forums simply by looking for more information, and I’m glad I did.

Thank you all for reading, and listening. (And hopefully for not telling me I’m nuts)! :slight_smile:

Oh-oh! Holy Spirit alert!

Welcome, welcome, welcome. Our Protestant brethren would call this at least the PRELUDE to being “born again”!

God love ya!

:rotfl: Nicely put!! :smiley:

Steve, it definitely sounds like the Holy Spirit is moving in you to get back to your faith and the sacraments. Who knows why it’s happening right now – that doesn’t matter, it only matters that it is! I’ll say a prayer for you (and your family) that you will nurture this leading of the Holy Spirit and return to the sacraments and the church Jesus established. He’s waiting for you there. :heart: :hug1:

I would say that you are not nuts. God is clearly working in your life right now and you recognize it. Since you have recognized it you have started seeking Him. Continue to do this. If you want to grow in your relationship with God you need to be doing two things. Prayer and receiving the sacraments. Find time every day to pray and receive the Eucharist often while going to confession regularly. God’s grace will continue to pour into your life. Lastly, you sound like you are on fire now. You are seeking God. If in the future you don’t feel as good as you do now, stick with it because we all experience dry spells in our relationship with God. It is as if God is a dad and we are his toddlers. He is urging us to walk to Him on our own but when we get close to Him, He takes a step back and says keep going. We may fall down and wonder why didn’t He help us but He is always there to help us back up. I will be praying for you.

God Bless,
Matt

That is a wonderful experience. You aren’t going nuts at all. This will probably help you pray more meaningfully now as well :smiley:

you’re not alone – i had almost the exact same experience in very similar cirumstances.

along with appreciating the sunrises, i also found classical music suddenly very compelling.

honestly, i often wonder about the people my age who haven’t discovered an intense interest in faith after becoming first-time fathers. the best explanation i’ve seen of the phenomenon is that you become witness to a divine spark that is at the center of the creation of a new life, and that opens ones eyes and heart to the truth.

i’ve also considered the birth of my son an act of god’s grace – his willingness to let me perceive his presence at work in my life.

Welcome back!!!

I don’t think your nuts, started a thread about something similar.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=230403

Wow! I wanted to say thanks to all of you for responding to my rather lengthy, possibly rambling questions; You really do know how to make someone feel comfortable. :slight_smile:

It’s funny, as someone mentioned the term “born again”, I jokingly said that to my wife the other night. I guess I never realized, along with a LOT of other things, that the Catholic faith could actually make me feel this way. (Now that I actually think about it). :slight_smile:

Again, thank you all for listening here. Especially to someone so obviously new to these message boards. (And someone who is normally not very comfortable expressing his thoughts\feelings no matter how anonymous the forum might be).

Quick question if someone will in regard to actually reading the bible. I have started reading the prefaces, and general “knowledge” pages about changes in versions over time etc. Would it be wrong to begin reading with the New Testament, and follow that with the old? I just feel that it may help me to understand some things more quickly, and perhaps help a bit more. I just feel odd not reading “in order” so to speak.

Again, thank you all for the time!

The important thing is reading it. I don’t think the order matters. :smiley: You could follow the church’s liturgical schedule if you want some type of “order” to it. Go to www.ewtn.com and click on “Today’s Mass Readings and Homily” – it’s to the right. :thumbsup: (there’s also a wonderful section of prayers and novenas there too)

Your plan for Scripture reading sounds fine. As a teach of sixth grade Religious Ed (don’t be insulted!) I just discovered Jeff Cavins’ Bible timeline stuff (google it). Some of the packages are high priced but you can get the chart for under $5. Go to EWTN’s web site under “Libraries” / “Audio”/ Look for Cavins or Hahn or “reading the Bible” under the “series search” window and voila! You’re good to go. You can listen to the series on your computer. Unfortunately, it isn’t available in MP3 format . . .

The Spirit is working in your life… sometimes we stray far before being snapped into place.

Praise the Lord and Welcome Back!

Joe

AWESOME!!!

I got goosebumps reading your post! Although I am coming to the Faith from another religion, I have similar feelings and it is amazing. Other than my spouse, his family and our kids I have no one to share this with, one of the things that drew me here. I have days when I want to shout from the rooftops ‘this is great!’ Other days I am just in awe of all I have been missing.

sending up prayers for continued blessings in your life…

You can share it here. The rest of the world gets bleary eyed when we rant like this! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hi there -

You are not nuts! In fact, your story sounds alot like mine…

Perhaps we’re both nuts!

:eek:
S.

This is so great! I felt the EXACT same way! I’ve been Catholic all my life and didn’t start truly getting interested or practicing until I read Scott Hahn’s conversion story one night. I frequently reread it for motivation to help me stay on track! But once I read it I was reading Catholic books and websites and anything Catholic I could get my hands on. It was like I was thirsty after not drinkiing anything for 20 years, I could not get enough water!!! Congratulations and welcome home! Nothing but goodness and God’s graces will come with all of this. God bless!

I had my son a year ago and the religiousness in me hit me even deeper when he was born. It’s like I was “born again” for the second time. DH is always telling me how amazed he is at my mothering and that he never thought I’d be the way I am today. I have become so much more selfless and almost everything I do is to make sure I"m a good Christ-like example for my son. I feel it too, like I am such a better person because of him! I even ***changed the music I listen too :eek: .***:thumbsup: Now the stuff I use to hear and stuff on the radio or tv just urkes me! I don’t know how I listened to most of it without it disgusting me. But God is so good and he knows what we all need!

Great post, I hope people keep sharing thier experiences! Congrats again and God bless!

If we’re lucky, we’ll be “born again” many times in our lives as our conversions kick in deeper and deeper. It is the Love that knows no end!

Thank you all again for reading, and sharing. I think over the past months, I have felt I might be one of the only folks out there that gets these types of feelings. The only people I have been able to share this with are my immediate family, as I am coming to grips with it myself. I find it very interesting that the internet, of all places, is where I have found a place to express these feelings, and my recent experiences, openly.

I guess they say God can travel in many ways, why not the information super highway. :slight_smile: I have actually found the amount of information regarding religion, and The Catholic faith in general, that is available on the internet to be quite amazing!

God bless to all of you!

Have you discovered the resources on the EWTN web site? Formidable!

Thirst…nailed it on the head!!

Thanks to this site, yes, as a matter of fact I did…first thing this morning actually! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.