My response to the question: "How many good works are needed to get to Heaven?"

In this thread, I would like to limit this to only responses of that question. You can add to my response, or make up one for yourself. Please keep it somewhat short, because it should be something you could tell you fellow Christians if they ask you this question.
If you would like to debate this topic, then please use the other thread I started “Living vs. Dead Faith”.

I have listened to Protestant radio shows where they ask Christians who don’t hold to “saved by faith alone” the following question: “how many good works are needed to get to heaven?”

Well, here is my response.

Well, I would have to say, that at a minimum, you would need at least one more good work than the goats in Matthew chapter 25.
And as for the maximum, where there is not maximum, because scripture tells us that we can’t out give God.
But I think that looking at how many good works are needed misses the mark that Jesus intended.
The Pharisees were caught up with the ‘quanity’ of works. Jesus tells us that they tithed mint and dill. This wasn’t required, but it showed that they were very percise in holding up the law, down to the smallest detail, at the expense of showing love for others.
We shouldn’t be caught up with the quantity of our works, but with the ‘quality’ of our works. Our works should be out of love.
Jesus marveled at the widow who gave the two small coins out of here poverty. Our good works should flow out of us because we have been crucified with Christ, that it is no longer us that live, but Christ that lives in us.
We should see Christ in everyone we meet, and we should show them love in our actions toward them.
This is hard, because we are sinners, and when we fall short, and don’t show this love, we need to ask God for forgiveness, and the strength to be Christ like to all those who God places before us.
Again, it isn’t the number of good works that we should be concerned with, it is the quality of these works, and that they should be out of love, so that people will see Christ living in us, and be drawn to him. We should be the instrument of God’s love.

Again I am not looking for a discussion in this thread, I am looking for responses to that question. Please feel free to change and add to my response, or come up with one of your own.
Thank you.

I always ask in return “how much faith is enough to get to heaven?”

I have an addition to my response already.

I need to add a disclaimer to it first.

“I don’t believe that one is saved by faith alone, and I don’t believe that one is saved by works alone. I believe that we are saved by God’s grace alone, and our response to that grace is faith working through love.”

Faith the size of a mustard seed

I was going to say the same thing, only based on my Pentecostal experience, I would phrase it, “How many altar calls does it take to get to heaven?” or “How big a tithe do I need to give to get to heaven?”

What throws me with this question is salvation does not hang in the balance based on the number of works you have done, but on the number of mortal sins you haven’t repented of.

And the answer to the (silly) works question is the same.

I would just say, “All of them.”

yep salvation dotn come throught faith nor good deeds, but only by the sacrifice of Christ.

Our good deeds only bring us closer to Christ.

I remeber one phrase of the Virgin of Medjurgore. She said that we gloryfy good when we carry our cross.
Or in other words when we deal with our daily problems of life.

I believe people shouldnt think that salvation is something that is hard and rough , however everyone must make an effort to imitate Jesus because God dosent want us to be mediocre but he want us to be just like him.

The short answer is: As many as it takes to persevere to the end.

Peace,
+N

Daily good work to our full capacity is needed.
Give God our best everyday.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.