My scrupulous confirmation question

So yesterday I was confirmed. It was a beautiful ceremony. However…

I have clinically diagnosed OCD and anxiety, but please humor me.

The priest read from the Gospel, and then gave a short homily. It was pretty cool. It was like a personal homily to my folks and I. He began talking about God assuming humanity and how that gave us the ability to share in God’s life etc. At this point, when he began talking about that, I began thinking of the level of perfection needed to go to Heaven and become perfect.

This is where something happened. I looked off to the side and thought ‘man, that’s hard.’ I then began thinking about destroying things of mine that conflict with the Catholic faith. I then realized I wasn’t paying attention, and looked him square in the eye and listened, as he began talking about Confirmation being a strengthening in the Holy Spirit.

When I thought ‘man, that’s hard’ I didn’t reject the idea out of hand. I didn’t think I don’t want to do this. I was just dismayed. It was an automatic thought. But it’s been troubling me since last night. If I had thought ‘I reject this’ my OCD would have really been aggravated, I know that. And I’d remember it.

Which brings me to my question. Was I validly confirmed? I know this is silly, but I don’t want to bother any priest I know with this. I’ve bothered them enough.

Thank you for reading.

Yes.

-Fr ACEGC

5 Likes

Thanks Father.

As a funny after note, when he did anoint me and said peace be with you and shook my hand I answered no less than three different things.

“Amen. Er, peace be with you. Oh and with your spirit.”

Similar to the time that I had just come from Confession practicum class and went to actual confession afterwards, and when the priest told me to say the Act of Contrition, I started saying the Formula of Absolution instead. I caught myself and said “oh that’s your part.”

3 Likes

Lol! The priest sort of whispered to me after I said peace be with you ‘and with your spirit’ at which point the light bulb went off in my head.

Hand in hand with the Holy Trinity.

Matthew 11

28 Come to me, all you that labour, and are burdened, and I will refresh you. 29 Take up my yoke upon you, and learn of me, because I am meek, and humble of heart: and you shall find rest to your souls. 30 For my yoke is sweet and my burden light.

Matthew 19

25 And when they had heard this, the disciples wondered very much, saying: Who then can be saved? 26 And Jesus beholding, said to them: With men this is impossible: but with God all things are possible.

Matthew 28

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

1 Like

Congratulations on your confirmation and on getting the paperwork all straightened out.

2 Likes

Yes.

Please get help from a therapist for your OCD.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m currently seeing one and he’s Catholic. He’s been a great help.

Thanking the Lord for the quick resolution to your situation. God bless

1 Like

Glad to hear it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.