My sins were "forgiven" + confession question

A woman approached me a few years ago and talked about God. She then proceeded to touch my forehead and "forgave" my sins. I felt "good" at that moment and even thought about going to the church she mentioned (I forgot what religion she was from, she had a long skirt though). Needless to say, a few days later I felt that my sins had not actually been forgiven and still did not have peace in me.

At that time I had not done my first communion so I still hadn't done my first confession. A few years after that, I finally did my first communion and did my first confession, but I didn't tell the priest that experience since I had forgotten until now.

I'm sure that whatever happened was bad, is there anything I should do?

Also, I haven't confessed my sin in over a year. I really want to so I can be good with good and feel that inner peace. What stops me is that I feel I haven't fully felt sorry for some of them. I don't want to wait longer, but I also don't want to confess my sins and not fully be sorry. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

[quote="engdlyzp, post:1, topic:317422"]
A woman approached me a few years ago and talked about God. She then proceeded to touch my forehead and "forgave" my sins. I felt "good" at that moment and even thought about going to the church she mentioned (I forgot what religion she was from, she had a long skirt though). Needless to say, a few days later I felt that my sins had not actually been forgiven and still did not have peace in me.

At that time I had not done my first communion so I still hadn't done my first confession. A few years after that, I finally did my first communion and did my first confession, but I didn't tell the priest that experience since I had forgotten until now.

[/quote]

You should go on about your business and not worry about it. This woman has no authority to forgive sins. And I hate to sound uncharitable, but I would write this woman off as a kook. :rolleyes:

She probably meant well. But since it has absolutely nothing to do with sacramental confession, there's no problem.

Also, I haven't confessed my sin in over a year. I really want to so I can be good with good and feel that inner peace. What stops me is that I feel I haven't fully felt sorry for some of them. I don't want to wait longer, but I also don't want to confess my sins and not fully be sorry. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I really don't think there is anything you need to "do" about this. Just remember though that only a priest can forgive sins. I think any time someone tells us they forgive us, it would be a normal reaction to feel good about it. But we just need to keep in mind and understand the difference between someone forgiving us for the wrong we did against them, vs the actual sacrificial forgiveness of sins which can be conveyed only by a priest. The woman you met did not actually forgive your sins in the way a priest can through confession.

Thank you.

First up, I would ask you the question: why do you not feel sorry for some of your sins? Is it perhaps because you doubt whether or not what you did in those cases is in fact a sin? Do you view yourself as having certain mitigating circumstances which make your sins less severe, or perhaps that you couldn't stop yourself from committing them? I think this requires some thought...

In the mean time, however, it seems from what you say that you do accept that you have committed some sins and are sorry for those. So what I would do if I were you, is go to confession and confess the sins for which you are indeed sorry. Then whilst you are in that confession, mention to the priest that you have done some other things (or omitted to do something perhaps) which you deem to be wrong but for which you don't feel true contrition for whatever reason. There is absolutely no problem with having a discussion with the priest about this. Let him guide you in this regard.

I dare say that when you come out of that confession you will find greater clarity on the issues that trouble you, plus you will come away with a renewed sense of peace for the sins you have confessed.

I think one of the things that often causes people to avoid confession is that they are ashamed or embarrassed to confess their sins. But remember that priests have really heard it all many times before. We should never be ashamed of turning to God (via the priest) for forgiveness. It is the most incredible weapon of good for our lives.

Have courage, go to confession, chat with the priest... Every time we turn our face to the Light, God shines his goodness upon us... and that inner peace you seek will not be far away...

Do not give it another thought. Only CHRIST can forgive our sins, and the priest gives us absolution and penance. Go to Reconciliation even if you don't truly feel sorry for some of your sins and confess that to your priest.

Correct me if I am wrong, we can have God forgive our venial sins without Confession; e.g., attending Mass without mortal sin. Am I correct?

[quote="Lost_Sheep, post:2, topic:317422"]
You should go on about your business and not worry about it. This woman has no authority to forgive sins. And I hate to sound uncharitable, but I would write this woman off as a kook. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

[quote="HoosMommie, post:5, topic:317422"]
Do not give it another thought. Only CHRIST can forgive our sins, and the priest gives us absolution and penance. Go to Reconciliation even if you don't truly feel sorry for some of your sins and confess that to your priest.

[/quote]

Thank God. I thought that since I didn't stop the woman from "forgiving" my sins it was like a bad ritual that could affect me. Like proactively rejecting what Jesus left for us. I'm good then, thanks!

[quote="Patrick_Cox, post:4, topic:317422"]
I really don't think there is anything you need to "do" about this. Just remember though that only a priest can forgive sins. I think any time someone tells us they forgive us, it would be a normal reaction to feel good about it. But we just need to keep in mind and understand the difference between someone forgiving us for the wrong we did against them, vs the actual sacrificial forgiveness of sins which can be conveyed only by a priest. The woman you met did not actually forgive your sins in the way a priest can through confession.

First up, I would ask you the question: why do you not feel sorry for some of your sins? Is it perhaps because you doubt whether or not what you did in those cases is in fact a sin? Do you view yourself as having certain mitigating circumstances which make your sins less severe, or perhaps that you couldn't stop yourself from committing them? I think this requires some thought...

In the mean time, however, it seems from what you say that you do accept that you have committed some sins and are sorry for those. So what I would do if I were you, is go to confession and confess the sins for which you are indeed sorry. Then whilst you are in that confession, mention to the priest that you have done some other things (or omitted to do something perhaps) which you deem to be wrong but for which you don't feel true contrition for whatever reason. There is absolutely no problem with having a discussion with the priest about this. Let him guide you in this regard.

I dare say that when you come out of that confession you will find greater clarity on the issues that trouble you, plus you will come away with a renewed sense of peace for the sins you have confessed.

I think one of the things that often causes people to avoid confession is that they are ashamed or embarrassed to confess their sins. But remember that priests have really heard it all many times before. We should never be ashamed of turning to God (via the priest) for forgiveness. It is the most incredible weapon of good for our lives.

Have courage, go to confession, chat with the priest... Every time we turn our face to the Light, God shines his goodness upon us... and that inner peace you seek will not be far away...

[/quote]

I know that what I have done is bad. I tell myself not to but when I think about it I have regret but at the same time have good memories of it. But yes, speaking to the priest should be great help. Talking to him should clear my mind and maybe even feel guilty and sorry at that moment.
Its simple stuff when someone says it, but I really hadn't thought about it. Thanks a lot for the great advice!

[quote="Hamlet123, post:6, topic:317422"]
Correct me if I am wrong, we can have God forgive our venial sins without Confession; e.g., attending Mass without mortal sin. Am I correct?

[/quote]

Correct. As per the Catechism - paragraph 1416: "Communion with the Body and Blood of Christ increases the communicant's union with the Lord, forgives his venial sins and preserves him from grave sins."

But it should be added that the catechism does nevertheless encourage us to repent even of our venial sins in confession - paragraph 1458: "Without being strictly necessary, confession of everyday faults (venial sins) is nevertheless strongly recommended by the Church. Indeed the regular confession of our venial sins helps us form our conscience, fight against evil tendencies, let ourselves be healed by Christ and progress in the life of the Spirit."

[quote="engdlyzp, post:8, topic:317422"]
I know that what I have done is bad. I tell myself not to but when I think about it I have regret but at the same time have good memories of it. But yes, speaking to the priest should be great help. Talking to him should clear my mind and maybe even feel guilty and sorry at that moment.
Its simple stuff when someone says it, but I really hadn't thought about it. Thanks a lot for the great advice!

[/quote]

You're welcome. I hope your priest gives you great advice.

Just one little paragraph I need to draw your attention to from the Catechism (which no doubt makes a number of people a little uncomfortable at times) - from paragraph 1456: "When Christ's faithful strive to confess all the sins that they can remember, they undoubtedly place all of them before the divine mercy for pardon. But those who fail to do so and knowingly withhold some, place nothing before the divine goodness for remission through the mediation of the priest, "for if the sick person is too ashamed to show his wound to the doctor, the medicine cannot heal what it does not know." "

So again, chat to the priest about ALL the sins you have committed. I think it is safe to say that just about all of us have embarrassing sins, or sins we are particularly ashamed of, or ashamed to talk about! Be as open as you possibly can, and in that way you will receive the fullness of God's mercy.

Thank you.

[/quote]

You did nothing wrong when that woman presumed to "absolve" you of your sins. I doubt it was of any real effect but it did dispose you favorably to encounters with God's mercy.

The more serious issue is your not going to confession in a year. PLEASE make regular confession a habit. It's a very good practice. It keeps us close to god's grace and reminds us of our need to seek his mercy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.